New member introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudmacleod

Reaction score
Brian here from a small town in NW Ohio. I host a beer podcast called five beer plan. Wife bought me a 1-gallon all-in-one extract kit for Christmas 2020 and it sat gathering dust in the basement for 2yrs. Drug my feet but finally decided to try brewing the session IPA kit in Jan 2023. Bought new hops and yeast and it was an acceptable start. Everyone talks all grain, so began brew-in-a-bag for my second batch and thus began the journey. Since I am still getting my feet wet, I often will find a recipe, clone it for my 1-gallon batch and tweak it slightly, depending on the ingredients I have on hand or that I can easily get. I just bottled my 7th batch - a double IPA.

My equipment up to now is pretty basic - I have a 3-gallon stockpot that we always used for pasta that I have claimed for brewing. It is just about perfect for my 1-gallon batches. It has a colander "attachment" I use when I sparge. I still use the 1-gallon glass carboy fermenter. After brewing a few batches and getting tired of losing wort due to hop matter, invested in a hop basket. Dry-hopping or adding adjuncts also was problematic, so I bought a dry hop basket which has improved the clarity and minimized trub, thus increasing the end result.

I am looking forward to learning more about choosing grain, dialing in OG/FG and what next steps for an improved system looks like.

Welcome to the group!

Sounds like you're off to a great start and setting your sights on a future. I think you'll find loads of inspiration here. There's many levels of brewers using all sorts of brewing systems.

Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area. I too started with the Extract kits from Morebeer and enjoyed them. I moved to BIAB and am enjoying that as well. The folks here are awesome with info so make sure you ask any and all questions you have.

Back