1st graf brew and need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsterguy

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
i am in the process of making my 1st graf, and right at the start i managed to screw it up a bit.

my recipe:
1kg extra light dme muntons
350g steep 30l caramalt
200g steep carapils
9 IBU with some bittering hops
2.4 Liter of apple concentrate (this is where i fked it up) post-boil added
topped up with pre-boiled and then frozen water till 20C

total of 16 Liter batch, aerated by strong shaking
half teaspoon of springferm

expected OG was 1.058, when it was actually 1.082
i ended up realizing that 2.4 liter with 70 brix, and a heavier than water density is too much sugar.
I diluted a bit to 1.072 and pitched my yeast us-05

its been a week, its down to 1.02 and not bubbling. it should finish at 1.002. readings 3 days in a row are stuck. taste is very sweetish and tarty. I am going to rack to secondary, and already in the process of making a new us05 starter. the thing is, this taste test Ive done is making me think maybe its not worth doing.
any one with experience with graf knows if tartiness will go away?
assuming I manage to re-start the yeast, will i need more springferm? is there a large difference from 1.02 to 1.002?

I am considering just chucking and restarting, as its so tarty right now its down right vinegary. not sure if its gonna go away or not, guess im gonna use a new type of concentrate for next batch.

Bubbling really doesn't tell you much. I've had beers go from OG to FG and never seen a bubble. But plenty of evidence of krausen and of course the only reliable way to tell if it fermented is by taking a hydrometer reading as you've apparently done.

So if you only have one hydrometer reading at 1.020 then wait another week and check again to see if it's moved.

I don't know anything about the particulars of graf's. But it sounds like sanitation might be in question from some of your description. But usually for beers, if I get a infection it goes quite a few points below the expected FG.

If it's tart tasting, then maybe it is infection, but also maybe that's the way ciders or graf's taste when fermenting... I don't know, never made any. But still, wait it out for another week or two and see what happens.

Infections just affect the tastes and aromas. Usually for the bad. Sometimes for the good. So just see what it becomes.

What did you measure the SG with?

Bubbling really doesn't tell you much. I've had beers go from OG to FG and never seen a bubble. But plenty of evidence of krausen and of course the only reliable way to tell if it fermented is by taking a hydrometer reading as you've apparently done.

So if you only have one hydrometer reading at 1.020 then wait another week and check again to see if it's moved.

I don't know anything about the particulars of graf's. But it sounds like sanitation might be in question from some of your description. But usually for beers, if I get a infection it goes quite a few points below the expected FG.

If it's tart tasting, then maybe it is infection, but also maybe that's the way ciders or graf's taste when fermenting... I don't know, never made any. But still, wait it out for another week or two and see what happens.

Infections just affect the tastes and aromas. Usually for the bad. Sometimes for the good. So just see what it becomes.

What did you measure the SG with?
Thanks for the answer! I'll take your advice and wait it out.

Measured sg with hydrometer, 3 times. As I was confused as to how I can go so much over my expected og.

Back