2nd batch done, couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
Ok my second batch is bottled and in the books and I have a few questions now that I am a seasoned veteran.

Both my 1st and second (5 gal) batches ended up at 4.5 gallons. The first batch I wasn't too worried because I didn't know what I was doing when topping it off. Now, I was real exact with my second batch, so I'm thinking you just lose 1/2 gallon to evaporation?

Anyways, for priming I used 1 1/4 C of Muntons extra-light DME boiled in 2 cups water for the first batch, and on the second batch 5 oz of package of Corn Sugar boiled in 475 ml water.

My question is, am I over-priming since these priming amounts are for 5 gallons and I only have 4.5 gallons? My first batch has a carb flavor in my opinion but it's not overly carbonated when you pour it into a glass (you have to pour it nice and easy though you can't just dump it in the glass or it will be all foam).

Second question - do you think a bottling wand leaves too much headspace? It seemed like this to me so I took one beer and used it to top off the rest of them to about 2" from the top.

I do not think a bottling wand leaves too much headspace - in my experience it comes out perfect (and consistent) with almost all bottle types.

Yes, priming for 4.5g would be different than for 5g, but most styles have some leeway in standard carb level, so that may not be your problem - esp. given the amounts you indicated.

I would guess its one of two things:
Fermentation not completed - how long in primary? What were your original & ending gravities?
Not conditioned long enough. CO2 is created in a few days, but takes a few weeks to dissolve well. The general rule is 3 weeks at 70 degrees. Sure you'll have bubbles after a week, but they'll be fizzy and harsh tasting - means it needs more time to dissolve. Obviously temp makes a difference too, so after your 3 weeks conditioning, give them a good 48 hours in the fridge to dissolve more CO2.

If you're using a bottling wand,& getting more than 1.5" of head space,you're doing it wrong. You leave the wand in the bottle filling til the split second the level of beer gets to the top. Then snap you wrist so as to pull up on the wand 2 or 3",which will close the little pin valve in the end of the wand. you'll now get the right head space for any bottle by way of volume displacement.
And use a priming sugar calculator like this one; TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculator,& get a small digital scale,like at Walmart for $20. The priming calculator will tell you how much priming sugar by weight,not volume. Then just add it to 2C boiled water.

The batch that tasted carby - OG: 1.061, FG: 1.012. But I bottled within 2 weeks, so maybe I rushed it.

I was using the wand as you described, i would almost have beer coming out, or sometimes would before I pulled the wand up, and I had to have like 1.75" - 2" headspace. I'll pay attention more next batch.

Thanks for the link - I punched in my info

IPA
Volumes of CO2 - 1.9 (whatever that is)
4.5 gallons
60 deg F

And I get : Glucose (dextrose or corn sugar) 2.2 oz

Yikes I put in over twice that! (5 oz!!)

Ok,checked it myself. That number in the volumes of co2 box is an average,& you can change it to wherever you want it. It gives min-max amounts of volumes,or atmospheres,if you will in the style description box. I primed mine to 2.3V,& it was real nice at lifting those lovely hop aromas.
Changing the volumes of co2 number to 2.3V,you get 3.2oz dextrose,3oz table sugar.

Nah, you didn't rush it - two weeks is common for an IPA, and your FG is nice and low.

You'll be ok with 5oz - sure it'll be too much for the style, but it won't (shouldn't) be a geyser or bottle bomb. Just take your time on the pour & let it sit for a few mins before drinking and you'll be fine.
One other note - the 60 deg F you entered - I believe for that number you typically enter the highest temp your beer ever hit during fermentation - it attempts to estimate the amount of CO2 already dissolved in your beer (obviously higher temp means less CO2)

Yeah,the highest temp,or as I do,the temp it's been sitting at. Usually lower that initial temp for a few weeks. so I use the lower one. Works darn good.

Back