2019 SARA Cellar Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a fun experience drinking this old dusty at the portal. It was the 1st bottle I ever got from Sante back in the beginning of 2013, and I brought it back up to Santa Cruz over 6 years later. It has faded a bit, and has this malty-acidic profile in the finish, but not overpoweringly and still very enjoyable. Proper Ciseroney pours by Jay made it even better of course.
8DAC6401-BD56-4D76-83C0-54B90417F17E.jpeg
910995E0-FAB3-4016-A242-7333284F8884.jpeg

damn, 2018 cellar beers in house. guess there no vintage sale :(

The club has grown somewhat in members while most of the batch sizes/bottles have not. Any attempt at a vintage sale would have left the vast majority of members feeling like they got shut out. We don't enjoy disappointing people. Plus, this allows these beers to be enjoyed by a greater amount of people, while hopefully keeping them still feeling special.

The club has grown somewhat in members while most of the batch sizes/bottles have not. Any attempt at a vintage sale would have left the vast majority of members feeling like they got shut out. We don't enjoy disappointing people. Plus, this allows these beers to be enjoyed by a greater amount of people, while hopefully keeping them still feeling special.
I don't really care, but aren't these two statements a bit at odds? If the membership grew, why not keep it members-only in house? That would presumably sell it out fast enough while also keeping the membership feeling special, no?

The growth in members is an explanation for why they are choosing to not do a members only vintage sale (out of town members / members that get shut out end up complaining / feeling like they missed out and there are just so many members now that there wouldnt be enough to go around to all members that want some bottles)

They have never had any bottles be "members only in house" as far as I know. They are doing their best to make everyone happy. If they had member only in house bottles, there would inevitably be regular (non member) people who feel disappointed that they cannot order the beer that the person next to them just ordered.

I dont think the statements are at odds. Its just impossible to please everyone and they are doing their best.

The growth in members is an explanation for why they are choosing to not do a members only vintage sale (out of town members / members that get shut out end up complaining / feeling like they missed out and there are just so many members now that there wouldnt be enough to go around to all members that want some bottles)

They have never had any bottles be "members only in house" as far as I know. They are doing their best to make everyone happy. If they had member only in house bottles, there would inevitably be regular (non member) people who feel disappointed that they cannot order the beer that the person next to them just ordered.

I dont think the statements are at odds. Its just impossible to please everyone and they are doing their best.
They have had member only in house bottles before. As you mentioned I felt disappointed that I couldn't get something that someone else could. IMO member only, wheather it's tap or bottle list, is a lame thing breweries do. It's enough that members get to take home exclusive beers (and in some cases get discounts etc). IMO if I am at the brewery I should be able to buy the same thing a member can buy. Not being able to feels disingenuous to me.

They have had member only in house bottles before. As you mentioned I felt disappointed that I couldn't get something that someone else could. IMO member only, wheather it's tap or bottle list, is a lame thing breweries do. It's enough that members get to take home exclusive beers (and in some cases get discounts etc). IMO if I am at the brewery I should be able to buy the same thing a member can buy. Not being able to feels disingenuous to me.

Seems like something you should show up and argue with employees about until you catch a ban... :rolleyes:

Seems like something you should show up and argue with employees about until you catch a ban... :rolleyes:
Yeah because that was the point of my post, to argue. No I was just stating that ANY brewery in general that does that is disingenuous. AKA agreeing with anvindr. But hey if you want to try to turn this in to "BAD MAN GET BANNED" be my guest.

Nope. Afaik, never has there been member only in-house bottles. There’s been member only to go bottles, and maybe a member just has it put in the fridge and hangs out, but that’s it, and that was a while ago.

oh i definitly get it, was just really hoping to enjoy another bottle of like minds on the beach lol (it’s on tap right now at the brewery too!)

also a bummer for new members that i know got in, that sale was even more amazing coming in as a newbie lol

my wallet is happy tho!

Nope. Afaik, never has there been member only in-house bottles. There’s been member only to go bottles, and maybe a member just has it put in the fridge and hangs out, but that’s it, and that was a while ago.
Ah ok, I know I saw a list that said "MEMBERS ONLY" at the top and just assumed it's like every other bottle of theirs that they sell and it could be in house or to go. I didn't ask since I wasn't a member and it was very clear it wasn't for the general public. It was a while ago so I assume it was the same period.

Ah ok, I know I saw a list that said "MEMBERS ONLY" at the top and just assumed it's like every other bottle of theirs that they sell and it could be in house or to go. I didn't ask since I wasn't a member and it was very clear it wasn't for the general public. It was a while ago so I assume it was the same period.

I believe that was back in 2017 when the leftover 2016 Cellar bottles were for sale to members. They essentially spread out the "Cellar Sale" over like a week I think (You could buy a bottle or two of Recency b1 & Beneath the waves)

I believe that was back in 2017 when the leftover 2016 Cellar bottles were for sale to members. They essentially spread out the "Cellar Sale" over like a week I think (You could buy a bottle or two of Recency b1 & Beneath the waves)
I believe it was in 2017, during the cask strawberry release that year.

damn, 2018 cellar beers in house. guess there no vintage sale :(
I don't really care, but aren't these two statements a bit at odds? If the membership grew, why not keep it members-only in house? That would presumably sell it out fast enough while also keeping the membership feeling special, no?
Confident that this would be the only possible way i’d get to try this beer. Or any of the other member bottles that have shown up for on site in the last ~2+/- years. Much love SARA.

Confident that this would be the only possible way i’d get to try this beer. Or any of the other member bottles that have shown up for on site in the last ~2+/- years. Much love SARA.
You still come to Oakland sometimes? If you're in town and interested in trying some members bottle, just hit me up.

Yeah the “club members won’t feel special enough” **** is a bit much for me. Sharing is caring remember?
Imagine if they had like ten bottles of Thousand Summers left and did one of those members only secondary sales and a **** ton of us showed up and left empty handed.

As a member, I'm totally okay with this approach.

Imagine if they had like ten bottles of Thousand Summers left and did one of those members only secondary sales and a **** ton of us showed up and left empty handed.

As a member, I'm totally okay with this approach.

They only have 9 left then

I imagine there will be an anniversary event of some sort this year...?

giphy.gif

possibly a little bit later than usual. weather delays or something

I imagine there will be an anniversary event of some sort this year...?

They were all excited to name their new anniversary beer “Seven.” It’s Mickey Mantle’s number, a living tribute. A beautiful name. But then some other brewery stole the beer name and used it first. So they called off the beer and anniversary party.

man i hope there is a special beer for seven (with another awesome video), but they are cutting it close if they haven't said anything.

dammit every year i miss this weekend because it falls on my wedding anniversary, this year we went to DC so im finally home this weekend! and its getting delayed :(

They haven't done a real party since the 2nd anniversary, as far as I know. It's usually some special drafts and hopefully the Appreciation release.
theyve blocked off the lot the last couple years, that sounds like a real party to me, heck 5th year had its own glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back