1st "Test" batch of Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_brewer

Reaction score
So I decided to make a test batch of cider with store bought cider. Not the ideal ingredients, but I thought I would give it a try.

I mixed up about a gallon of apple cider + brown sugar to get to a OG of 1.082 and mixed it with plenty of red star yeast and split it between 2 growlers. Then I let it sit for a week. I haven't seen much activity on the airlock so I checked the FG and i'm at 1.004. I thought it could get lower so I put the airlock back in and let it do its thing.

So now to my question, the flavor was pretty good, but it was really cloudy. Is there anything I can do to clear it up before or while I bottle?

Thanks,

Mike

You need to leave it in primary longer to clean up. I normally let my ciders sit in primary for about 3 weeks, and then transfer into a carboy to clean up. And any time I have used wine or cider yeast, my cider has gotten down to 1.000, so your fermentation is probably not over. What temp are you fermenting this at?

Its been sitting in my pantry around 68-70 deg F. What temp do you normally ferment your cider at? What cider yeast do you use? The Red Star I used was a champagne yeast, but I heard it works well with cider and its dirt cheap.

I'll let it sit for another week or 2 to see how it does.

I have a batch of Irish Red in my carboy right now, i'm thinking of doing a full 5 gallon batch of hard cider if the test run turns out well.

If you start with cloudy juice, it can take a few months to clear. I have some 365 juice that is still cloudy after a year.

If you start with clear juice, you will get clear cider within a few weeks.

You should end up below 1.000.

I like to leave my ciders for several months. i still have some in carboys after 2 years ..... probably should get around to bottling it.

68 - 70 is fine.

Wowwy! From 1.082 to 1.000 is a 10.4% cider. MMMMMMMM. I usually do sort of the same thing. I do five gallons cheapo apple juice, 3.5lbs brown sugar, 1lb table or cane sugar and S-04 yeast fermented about 64-66. Comes in at your OG but I bottle and stovetop pasteurize when it hits about 1.014 and I don't have to backsweeten (its probably more of a pain my way but it works for me), HUGE hit with everybody who has tried it. It is soooooo smooth for the ABV. As far as your question I use cheap juice which is crystal clear and so is my cider. Good luck!

With Red Star wine yeast, a cider (wine) can easily go to .990.

Since you added sugar to boost the fermentables and got an OG of 1.082, you've made a wine. It will clear once it's done fermenting and it should finish at .990- bone dry.

I always use clearing agents for ciders if I use 100% apple cider, and I suggest anyone to do the same

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I always use clearing agents for ciders if I use 100% apple cider, and I suggest anyone to do the same

That can work- but I never use clearing agents as I have friends who are vegan or vegetarian, and in my experience all ciders and wines will clear on their own if given enough tine and proper technique (like cold stabilization).

I've done over 50 batches of cider, and it has worked wonderfully every single time. I have had no off flavors or smells

I've done over 50 batches of cider, and it has worked wonderfully every single time. I have had no off flavors or smells

Oh I agree! I don't think you'd have any issues with flavors or aroma.

I was just saying that I like my wines, meads, ciders, and beers (over 500 batches) to be free from animal products and vegan and vegetarian safe, and that it's not needed for a clear cider. It might make it happen faster, but I've never yet had one that didn't clear without animal products and other stuff added in the last 25 years.

Bentonite is supposed to work well in clarifying cider. I have some but haven't used it yet. It's clay so it's also free of animal products if that's important.

Hope i'm not veering too far off topic, but wondering if you guys can recommend a good (but simple) cider recipe. I'd like to start with store bought apple juice and brew an easy drinking carbonated cider at around 5-7%. :)

What do you use to clear your cider?

I was looking around and I saw that I can sweeten cider with lactose. Anyone have any experience with sweetening cider with lactose? I was thinking I could ferment it down to ~.990 and then add some lactose and corn sugar before bottling that way it will end up sparkling and sweet . . . and around 12% ABV :drunk:

What do you use to clear your cider?

I was looking around and I saw that I can sweeten cider with lactose. Anyone have any experience with sweetening cider with lactose? I was thinking I could ferment it down to ~.990 and then add some lactose and corn sugar before bottling that way it will end up sparkling and sweet . . . and around 12% ABV :drunk:

I haven't tried it since I force carb and back sweeten. You could make a small batch, say a quart with CY1118 yeast, then do bench trials on 50 or 100ml samples to figure out your lactose addition...then just scale it up to 5 gallons.

Hope i'm not veering too far off topic, but wondering if you guys can recommend a good (but simple) cider recipe. I'd like to start with store bought apple juice and brew an easy drinking carbonated cider at around 5-7%. :)

Just take an ale yeast and add it to your store bought cider.
Don't add anything else except a yeast nutrient.

Wowwy! From 1.082 to 1.000 is a 10.4% cider. MMMMMMMM. I usually do sort of the same thing. I do five gallons cheapo apple juice, 3.5lbs brown sugar, 1lb table or cane sugar and S-04 yeast fermented about 64-66. Comes in at your OG but I bottle and stovetop pasteurize when it hits about 1.014 and I don't have to backsweeten (its probably more of a pain my way but it works for me), HUGE hit with everybody who has tried it. It is soooooo smooth for the ABV. As far as your question I use cheap juice which is crystal clear and so is my cider. Good luck!

How long do you wait after bottling before you pasteurise?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

What are you going to backsweeten with? I like to make a tavern style draft cider, fresh and sweet, with fresh pressed apples out of my orchard. I also like to use English ale yeast, but it does get dry!!! I've never tried lactose, but I have done splenda, stevia, brown sugar, and molasses. The only hang up with using fermentables is you have to add after you chill and keg, otherwise it will only restart fermentation.

I'm planning on bottling so the kegging option is out.
I'm going to try different amounts of lactose and some corn sugar in about a week or 2 to see how sweet they turn out and scale up to 5 gallons from there . . . and hopefully they won't bottle bomb on me
I have another batch of Irish Red lined up for my carboy before I try a full size batch of cider so I have time to experiment. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

How long do you wait after bottling before you pasteurise?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I pasteurize immediately after bottling. Next batch I am going to let a six pack carb up before pasteurizing to give that a shot. Im no cider expert (only have made 4 batches) but the cider I have made has been a crowd pleaser.

It might make it happen faster, but I've never yet had one that didn't clear without animal products and other stuff added in the last 25 years.

Ever used Whole Foods 365 apple juice; I've got some still in the carboy after 2 years that is still not clear ....... and I didn't boil it (or heat it in any way).

I pasteurize immediately after bottling. Next batch I am going to let a six pack carb up before pasteurizing to give that a shot. Im no cider expert (only have made 4 batches) but the cider I have made has been a crowd pleaser.

Have you tried just leaving it dry. I love it like that, though I can see why some wouldn't.

I have let just juice with yeast run dry but never my sugared up juice. I wasn't a big fan of the fermented out juice. Too much like apple white wine for my taste. I am going to make a batch tomorrow or the next day and will let a half gallon or so ferment out. I will post results in a few weeks when It is done.

Back