15% Cider Possible with US-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitandwait

Reaction score
Made my first batch of cider a couple days ago, totally winged it and went a little crazy with the sugar, 5 lbs crazy to be exact, 2 lbs granulated cane, 2 lbs light brown, 1 lb 10x confectioners, just trying to get a feel for fermentation times and if the US-05 will actually ferment it dry considering the OG was approx 1.11

Made my first batch of cider a couple days ago, totally winged it and went a little crazy with the sugar, 5 lbs crazy to be exact, 2 lbs granulated cane, 2 lbs light brown, 1 lb 10x confectioners, just trying to get a feel for fermentation times and if the US-05 will actually ferment it dry considering the OG was approx 1.11

Wow- big OG. I doubt it'll ferment dry. Even champagne yeast will only go up to 18% or so, if treated well. You're looking at a potential alcohol of nearly 16%, so I bet the yeast will peter out long before then.

I think your US-05 will drop out before it finishes that feast. US-05 is normally good to about 12% and may be pushed to 14% in good conditions. I think in a cider it will be too stressed to get to 15%+.

Also in the future do not use powdered sugar. In addition to sugar it contains corn starch to prevent clumping. Not a problem in baking but will cause haze issues in a beverage.

Next time be a little more aware of what you are throwing together. At that OG it hardly qualifies as a cider any longer an probably won't taste like one.

Craig

I went to one of my LHBS today and one of the guys said i might get lucky and it could ferment close to dry, if not to come back in and grab some champagne yeast to re-pitch with. CBB - you're right i totally forgot about the corn starch being mixed in with confectioners sugar, doh, and i should be more aware of what im putting in, luckily im not to worried about haze with this batch. it was more of a baseline attempt to see how i would adjust for further batches. Also, when you say it hardly qualifies as a cider what do you mean?

NOTE- it has been bubbling away since sunday and is now at 1.07

I don't like apple wine more than about 12%, so it's even a bit higher than that if it ferments out. It might be a bit "hot" for a couple of years, but might mellow into a nice wine eventually.

i'm not saying the info i read is correct, just paraphrasing what someone else printed

I would add a wine yeast immediately. US-05 won't finish the batch, so you'll have to do it anyway. Might be drinkable in 2-3 years.

Back