12 Beers of Christmas 2020 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two that I've opened.

@TBC, mild Belgian funk, followed by a just-right fruity flavor. Hit the mark on this one.
View attachment 711192

@fourfarthing, excellent flavor. Somewhat dry, slight Belgian funk. Very quaffable. It went down very quickly - wish I had chilled another!
View attachment 711191

I will join ya

B41A4768-6B7E-468E-B667-770E855EF6F4.jpeg

.....Really like the herbal spice aroma and the subtle, “just there” bitter backbone. Nice dry finish encouraged me to take the next sip and the next. There was a nice tannin woodiness to this that I liked. Is that from oak or herbs, I wonder. Hard to believe this is 10% abv. Very easy to drink.

Thanks for the kind words! With trying all the spices/herbs alone I feel the tannin comes from a combo of the bog myrtle and the juniper. I was actually considering oaking a batch for next year to see how it changes it. I think ill be making this one every summer now for a fun holiday ale to share. Also, the abv sneaks up on everyone that tries it so I usually try to warn them ahead of time :)

Thanks for the kind words! With trying all the spices/herbs alone I feel the tannin comes from a combo of the bog myrtle and the juniper. I was actually considering oaking a batch for next year to see how it changes it. I think ill be making this one every summer now for a fun holiday ale to share. Also, the abv sneaks up on everyone that tries it so I usually try to warn them ahead of time :)

Agreed on the abv. It really does sneak up!

I’m going to start with the last beer and go up the list, starting with @fourfarthing abbey weizen. I get some lemon and some hefe-type esters. Quite pale color and nice prickly carbocation. Dry finish. Homebrewed hefe ain't easy, this is really well balanced. I agree with @passedpawn i could quaff a number of these.
4BD4E0C4-F759-49D4-9F16-DE49DB849056.jpeg

@grampamark, nice job with the spices on this Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock. So delicate in the nose and in the taste. There's a pleasant hint of star anise in the aroma for me with the other spices playing a supporting role. Hop bitterness is very low as expected. Well carbed but not overly so. The carbonation kept the pleasant aroma lively until the glass was drained, but to be honest, it didn’t take long to finish the first bottle. Highly quaffable and not a sipper! Really nice job.

I’m curious if you followed the recipe in Radical Brewing or used a different base recipe. Did you toast some of the wheat malt? Were your spices and measurements the same as Mosher’s recipe? What yeast did you use?

Dunkel Glass.jpeg

@grampamark, nice job with the spices on this Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock. So delicate in the nose and in the taste. There's a pleasant hint of star anise in the aroma for me with the other spices playing a supporting role. Hop bitterness is very low as expected. Well carbed but not overly so. The carbonation kept the pleasant aroma lively until the glass was drained, but to be honest, it didn’t take long to finish the first bottle. Highly quaffable and not a sipper! Really nice job.

I’m curious if you followed the recipe in Radical Brewing or used a different base recipe. Did you toast some of the wheat malt? Were your spices and measurements the same as Mosher’s recipe? What yeast did you use?

View attachment 711818
I’m glad you liked it! I did follow the base recipe, including toasting part of the wheat. I didn’t use Abbye yeast, however; I used Munich instead (it’s a Weizenbock, not a Belgian :cool: )

I used the spices in the recipe except for the candied ginger. I just used a bit of ground ginger at the end of the boil. I wanted to avoid having the ginger be the predominate spice.

I’ve approached the 12 BOC as a beer exchange, not a strictly-to-style competition. Both years that I’ve participated I’ve tweaked the recipes a bit, to reflect my own approach to brewing. So sue me. My crack legal advisors (or legal advisors on crack), Dewey, Cheatam & Howe, are standing by. 😁

I’ve approached the 12 BOC as a beer exchange, not a strictly-to-style competition. Both years that I’ve participated I’ve tweaked the recipes a bit, to reflect my own approach to brewing. So sue me. My crack legal advisors (or legal advisors on crack), Dewey, Cheatam & Howe, are standing by. 😁

No complaints here. Seems like this beer is fully made in the spirit of the 12 Beers of Xmas exchange to me.

I’m drinking an Old Ale with dry fruit and spice from @Yeroc while a Blonde Ale is boiling. I can’t help but take notice of the difference between the rather basic, pipeline filler that I’m brewing tonight and the complex holiday brew that I’m sipping on.

This Old Ale has about a dozen spice and fruit additions, and I think I can taste every one. This beer could be just sort of fruity and sort of spicy, but the individual flavors are really identifiable. I don’t know if it’s the whole batch or just the bottle I selected, but there isn’t a lot of carbonation. I don’t think that’s a big deal. There’s enough going on with this beer that the degree of fizzyosity isn’t important. This is very well done and very appropriate to the season. I really like this!

Attachments

• 1977F3F2-9917-4F0F-97F3-694973EA94D0.jpeg
    1977F3F2-9917-4F0F-97F3-694973EA94D0.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 14
@jerbrew, “where did you hide the 10.8% abv in your Caramel Quad?” was my first thought on tasting your beer. I was expecting to perceive the alcohol more but not the case here. About half way through the glass I felt a buzz and was like, “Oh, there’s the alcohol.”

What a wonderful beer. For me it was all about the rich dessert flavors minus any overt sweetness. I really got the toffee/caramel notes in the aroma. Also I’d swear hints of cocoa and milky coffee too. Taste followed nose for the most part. For such a big beer I was expecting more residual sweetness but this finished pretty dry, and I was always ready for another sip. Well done!

Quad.jpeg

@jerbrew, “where did you hide the 10.8% abv in your Caramel Quad?” was my first thought on tasting your beer. I was expecting to perceive the alcohol more but not the case here. About half way through the glass I felt a buzz and was like, “Oh, there’s the alcohol.”

What a wonderful beer. For me it was all about the rich dessert flavors minus any overt sweetness. I really got the toffee/caramel notes in the aroma. Also I’d swear hints of cocoa and milky coffee too. Taste followed nose for the most part. For such a big beer I was expecting more residual sweetness but this finished pretty dry, and I was always ready for another sip. Well done!

View attachment 711896
Thanks for the review @Yeroc I really appreciate that and glad you enjoyed it. That caramel was a labor of love. I did it the way Randy Mosher suggests with equal part sugar and DME. Man...that DME does not melt and it was pretty scary taking that stuff dark yet not burning it. And since I did 10 gallons, I had to do about 4 batches of it. Very happy with how it turned out for sure though. It finished with a pretty high FG but honestly I think those are the unfermentables from the caramel. All of the simple things made during mashing were taken care of in the month long primary fermentation. Pitched two packs of two different dry Belgian yeasts in each fermenter because I was so scared of a stall. Anyway, enjoy the other two.

Noice. Watcha think?

I was shocked at the complexity and balance. Whatever I expected, from previous Belgian beer experiences, was tossed out the window. I can honestly say that up until this 12BOC, most of my Belgian beer experience has been negative. Too sweet, too fruit-estery; but now I am understanding more of what can be done!

That caramel was a labor of love. I did it the way Randy Mosher suggests with equal part sugar and DME. Man...that DME does not melt and it was pretty scary taking that stuff dark yet not burning it.

Did yours grow while heating, threatening to overflow the pot? Mine did. Here it is before it "rose".

1609264100849.png

Did yours grow while heating, threatening to overflow the pot? Mine did. Here it is before it "rose".

View attachment 712147
No, mine did not and I am so glad it didn't because I used way too small of a pot for making the caramel. I was stirring quite a bit on pretty low heat. Next time I do this I might do it directly in the brew kettle so I don't worry about mess or cleaning things after.

That looks beautiful though, nice work.

No, mine did not and I am so glad it didn't because I used way too small of a pot for making the caramel. I was stirring quite a bit on pretty low heat. Next time I do this I might do it directly in the brew kettle so I don't worry about mess or cleaning things after.

That looks beautiful though, nice work.

I think you have to do it this way in order to caramelize the sugars.

I heated it in that pot, then let it cool and harden again. It sat for a week or two in the fridge. On brew day, I dropped it right into the brew kettle and it all dissolved right out of the pan into the hot wort.

@Yeroc, @JAReeves, @yoop89, @grampamark, @jerbrew, and @RPh_Guy:

I've received beers from all of you and all came fully intact. I'll update here soon with some thoughts!

Edit: I would say for anyone who got my beer (the Gingerbread Ale), I would let it warm up a little bit after you pour it into a glass. Seems to mellow out a bit and the flavors come through and blend more nicely when it's come up to temperature. Not sure if that's a normal thing with beers that have lots of different spices.

Last edited:
@RPh_Guy, I received your beers today. Thanks! Looking at the label it indicates this lambic was brewed and bottled this month with 7 days in between. Is that right? I ask because I'm worried about bottle bombs on a beer so young with souring bacteria and brett.
Don't worry, they will not over-carbonate. The modern process I'm developing allows rapid production: 2–3 days to ferment (including souring) and then 2–3 days to bottle carbonate, with no risk of explosions. The cranberries made it take longer in this case. I can let you know the OG and FG if that would help put your mind at ease.

FYI the "impish" bottle has Jolly Pumpkin dregs, so it should develop a profound leathery/barnyard funk within about 2–3 months at room temp if you like that kind of thing and want to let it age. I thought it would be fun to have the option.

To any future brewers using cranberries, I would suggest crushing them. In my case they almost all remained intact using the suggested freeze/thaw method, so that's why the cranberry taste is pretty subtle.

I received a package from @RPh_Guy today as well. The box smelled of Brett and cranberries and was quite damp. The joys of shipping beer in the north in December. Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.
That's a bummer, sorry. Only 2 of yours survived the journey here as well. :(

It‘s officially 2021. Shall we start a new thread? I’d be willing to organize it again unless someone else would like to run it. East and West coast groups again?

after reading some of the ideas proposed in this thread, should we only open it to past participants who fulfilled their commitment for the first month say until 1/31. Then open it up to relatively established HBT members (more than a year since joining) *or* be a paid (Supporting or Lifetime) member for the month of February and then have it open to everyone from March on.

Also should we follow up with participants via pm say the end of June and if they don’t respond open their spot up in case someone else is interested?

Let me know what everyone thinks and we can get started.

It‘s officially 2021. Shall we start a new thread? I’d be willing to organize it again unless someone else would like to run it. East and West coast groups again?

after reading some of the ideas proposed in this thread, should we only open it to past participants who fulfilled their commitment for the first month say until 1/31. Then open it up to relatively established HBT members (more than a year since joining) *or* be a paid (Supporting or Lifetime) member for the month of February and then have it open to everyone from March on.

Also should we follow up with participants via pm say the end of June and if they don’t respond open their spot up in case someone else is interested?

I thought this was a great experience. I’m in. If people want to change the reqs, I’m ok with it.

I say yes to all those things, and if at any point you need a hand just let me know!

Same here! I would like to squeeze my way into east coast to save in shipping costs if possible. But I’m in either way!

I’m sitting this year out, thanks for organizing.

Okay I will create a new thread tomorrow. I will post in here when I create it. @yoop89 anyone can signup for whatever group they’d like. It doesn’ matter what group someone was in previously. Basically first come first serve and previous participants will have the advantage of what group for at least the month of January.

@Hoppy2bmerry we will miss the B.E.E.R. 2020 Homebrewer of the year.

Okay I will create a new thread tomorrow. I will post in here when I create it. @yoop89 anyone can signup for whatever group they’d like. It doesn’ matter what group someone was in previously. Basically first come first serve and previous participants will have the advantage of what group for at least the month of January.

@Hoppy2bmerry we will miss the B.E.E.R. 2020 Homebrewer of the year.
Thank you for your kindness.

Don't worry, they will not over-carbonate. The modern process I'm developing allows rapid production: 2–3 days to ferment (including souring) and then 2–3 days to bottle carbonate, with no risk of explosions. The cranberries made it take longer in this case. I can let you know the OG and FG if that would help put your mind at ease.

FYI the "impish" bottle has Jolly Pumpkin dregs, so it should develop a profound leathery/barnyard funk within about 2–3 months at room temp if you like that kind of thing and want to let it age. I thought it would be fun to have the option.

To any future brewers using cranberries, I would suggest crushing them. In my case they almost all remained intact using the suggested freeze/thaw method, so that's why the cranberry taste is pretty subtle.

I have no idea what the modern process is but would be curious to hear more. I guess maybe I’ll try one bottle soon and leave the others to age a bit.

Good to know about the cranberries. I’ve been wanting to try them in something.

I have no idea what the modern process is but would be curious to hear more. I guess maybe I’ll try one bottle soon and leave the others to age a bit.

Good to know about the cranberries. I’ve been wanting to try them in something.
See PM

@RPh_Guy, I popped one of these after work today to do something other than watch the very sad news of rioting in Washington. Good decision. Your cranberry lambic is very tasty and well balanced. I can't say I got a lot of cranberry flavor, but I don't mean that as a knock. This was a good beer that I finished quicker than I intended (sorry, no pictures). I'm not sure what cranberry should taste like in a fermented beverage but maybe its contribution is mostly in the sour perception. Anyway, well done. Don't know if I'll be able to let the other two age or not. I might need to drink them soon. Cheers!

@RPh_Guy, I popped one of these after work today to do something other than watch the very sad news of rioting in Washington. Good decision. Your cranberry lambic is very tasty and well balanced. I can't say I got a lot of cranberry flavor, but I don't mean that as a knock. This was a good beer that I finished quicker than I intended (sorry, no pictures). I'm not sure what cranberry should taste like in a fermented beverage but maybe its contribution is mostly in the sour perception. Anyway, well done. Don't know if I'll be able to let the other two age or not. I might need to drink them soon. Cheers!
Long story... I had ordered some crabapples online; I waited and waited but they never ended up being shipped. So I got some cranberries and followed the same instructions in the recipe (freeze/thaw). I was definitely thinking "what the hell" when there was practically no cranberry flavor in the beer despite giving it some extra time... They were all still intact as I was cleaning out the fermenter, so they definitely needed to be crushed. Lesson learned. I assume they would have added a lot of acidity and some tannins along with their signature fruity flavor. I had designed the recipe around that expectation. So, without the fruit it ended up being way different than I had envisioned. I also didn't get to use the Brett culture I wanted because the one in my yeast ranch was having issues and my usual supplier didn't have it in stock. Stupid COVID. Kind of a bummer, but I thought the beer was still passable. I'm glad you like it.

Can you copy that over to me? Curious to this process as well. Thanks

And now I'm overdue for a few notes on the tasting I had last week(?)

Gingerbread ale @Ultryx :
I really liked the combination of flavors in this and thought that the use of spices (type and qty) were well done. Everything played nicely together and reminds me of a spice cake. Something that tastes spicy but in a way I couldn't specifically describe each spice. That being said, I did like the lightness of the beer but think that if it was just a little bit bigger and had a touch more residual sweetness that it would have been a different beast, kind of like adding a delicious icing to that spice cake. Very enjoyable.

Honey Ginger IPA @JAReeves :
The aroma of this was enticing. I got a lot of spicy/sweet caramelized ginger on the nose. The color was rather dark for how I usually like my IPAs so I was initially a bit hesitant. However, the first sip disintegrated those thoughts and the beer was pleasantly balanced between hops and ginger providing spice and bitterness. I thought the level of sweetness complimented the ginger flavor. I drank this one pretty quick.

Dunkel Weizenbock @grampamark :
I might just try to work something like this into my fall rotation of brewing. The color and clarity was beautiful. The aroma versus flavor was a great contrast. The nose was almost all star anise with a background of other spices and a bit of sweetness, but the flavor was an awesome amalgam of everything. I was a little nervous that it was going to taste like licorice from the smell, but I was wrong. The anise is there and quite the star (see what I did there?) but subdued by the other spices and the base beer. This one made it hard not to grab this recipe for next years' exchange, but I've been wanting to do that cherry dubbel for a while. I guess I'll have to do this one for me.

Cranberry Lambicky Ale @RPh_Guy :
Seeing that this was brewed on December 12, 2020 and I drank it on January something 2021 puts so many questions in my head. You'll have to send me that PM for the modern process. Now, to the beer. Excellent and approachable if I had to choose two words. I wouldn't call this beer sour but tart and dry. A very refreshing beer that still hints towards winter and the holiday season. The color is gorgeous and the cranberry is there but like a splash of cranberry juice in water (or vodka) not the star but an excellent supporting character (think Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men but a little less intense). Loved the label too.

Fruitcake Old Ale @Yeroc :
Oh man did I like this beer. I'm glad you decided on the light carbonation because that let all of those dried fruit and spice flavors rule the day. I thought that the flavors were pretty distinguishable. If I thought about dried apricot or allspice I could take a sip and find it but that by no means indicates that it wasn't harmonious. Everything blended together nicely and made me want some cake to eat along with it. I could have this beer for dessert year long. Did you follow Mosher's recipe? This is one of the few he gives a pretty thorough recipe for in his book.

Christmas Gruit @yoop89 :
The fact that you canned these makes me want to be your friend and check out your setup. But I digress, to the beer(?)! The gruit tasted like the woods in the best imaginable way. Lots of subtle flavors everywhere. Since I haven't done much research into gruits and have no idea what the typical additions taste like, I couldn't call them out but I loved them. For something that drank pretty light I was amazed by the 10.3%. I just went and read Mosher's description the book and I'd say you nailed it from that description. Well crafted and is making me consider changing my 2021 selection to the gruit to give it a try. Did you leave out the sour cultures he suggests as an option? Which yeast did you select?

I'd say this was a great round overall and I am so happy to have tried all of your brews. Thanks for playing and I look forward to next year.

Back