12 Beers of Christmas 2020 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I empathize 100% if people have situations that keep them from finishing. But I cannot abide the lack of communications. Just dropping out without a comment in this thread is completely unacceptable.

For example, @wstbrewing and @CarLock Brewing. If you're wondering who Carlock is, she was a friend of wstbrewing. We broke the rules to let her into the group. Derp. I'd like to think this is a precautionary warning for next years' edition, but I think we are a bunch of big-hearted people that can't say no. Best to stick to the rules and ONLY IF there are still openings by some date, say April 1, then open it up.

I do like east coast / west coast split. Hope there are enough participants next year to repeat that.

Also, while I'm on a tear here, I want to comment @TBC for running the circus this year. Great job.

I don't think @wstbrewing has been on the site since March, so I would guess he has bigger issues right now. Was always a standup guy in FOTD.

Like I said, it’s one post. What issue do you suppose keeps him from making one post?

if a guy that was a regular on here before the pandemic becomes a ghost of a sudden, I would be willing to bet that a specific trade thread ain’t on his priority list. Nor do I blame him for it. Christmas was 9 months away.

To be frank, this wouldn’t be one of my top 50 priorities if COVID impacted my family.

Also, your quad was awesome.

D141626F-22AA-443C-87B4-44866025E7CA.jpeg

if a guy that was a regular on here before the pandemic becomes a ghost of a sudden, I would be willing to bet that a specific trade thread ain’t on his priority list. Nor do I blame him for it. Christmas was 9 months away.

To be frank, this wouldn’t be one of my top 50 priorities if COVID impacted my family.

Also, your quad was awesome.

View attachment 709746
Thanks.
I blame them. There is no excuse not to make one post. It was a commitment. Apparently that has a different meaning today.

Thanks.
I blame them. There is no excuse not to make one post. It was a commitment. Apparently that has a different meaning today.

Get off your high horse. Commitments in the context of a hobby dont mean **** in the context of what is going on today.

I don't get a random beer this year. Big deal. I get 3 more of my own instead. Literally zero loss.

If I died tomorrow my husband wouldn’t know to post anything here, just saying. With that said, at least one of the brewers that dropped out in recent years without a word, is back on HBT, no apology or explanation to the group. But because there was follow up on who was still in, beers were not sent, so really no harm done and I suppose that is the key. Just my two cents. @passedpawn your beers arrived today in good condition, and I’m looking forward to enjoying one soon, as well as the others.

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse, but any calamity short of being dead and I'm taking the computer out of my pocket, jumping on HBT and typing "Sorry all, I can't do the beer exchange". 30 seconds. Tops.

Regardless, I wonder if we could just add a single check-in at some point. Maybe do the addresses at the same time.

So how about adding something like "Must send address to other...by October 31"? If at that point someone doesn't check in, we could contact someone on the 'waiting list'.

It is a 'bid deal' that someone doesn't come through? Of course not and I don't think anyone is saying it is. But adding something simple like that into the rules to reduce the chance of it happening would be very easy and it seems to me a quite unobtrusive request, so why not?

Of course, this is only relevant if the spots are filled and there were people wanting to get in and couldn't.

And to follow that up, TBC, as the person who organized this year's exchange...

Rather than putting up a post about this to the broader community with all the slots blank, what do you think about beginning with one to the people who did this year's exchange?

So just to clarify what I'm saying, then when the regular post went up for 12 BOC 2021, some of the beers would already have names next to them.

TCB stepped in last year and organized this year, and has done a stellar job of it including check ins along the way. We can not control what others do, such as dropping out, but the way TCB has handled the end game has kept the drop outs from getting beers shipped to them, and I appreciate that. Let’s enjoy the season and the brews we have... next year will come soon enough. :bigmug:

TCB stepped in last year and organized this year, and has done a stellar job of it including check ins along the way. We can not control what others do, such as dropping out, but the way TCB has handled the end game has kept the drop outs from getting beers shipped to them, and I appreciate that. Let’s enjoy the season and the brews we have... next year will come soon enough. :bigmug:

Now I can't get this out of my head:

We had 4 people ghost us last year, including the thread starter, and another 3 this year from the east coast alone. I doubt all them died or lost both of their hands in a glass carboy accident and couldn't post that they were bowing out. Some of them had been HBT members for over a decade and traders with very good reputations. Aside from a few check-ins, not sure there's much to do. Great job @TBC and everyone who brewed and delivered. I'm extra excited for Juniper Rye Bock, Fruitcake Old Ale, Christmas Gruit and Crabapple Lambicky this year, because we didn't get them last year.

Wish I would have known the Christmas Gruit had bailed last year I totally would have jumped in! I had brewed it in September in hopes of being able to get in this year.

Just a quick note to add my point of view for people ghosting. Maybe we should have a mandatory check-in late summer? A lot of these beers need a good couples months to age before they hit there stride so I don’t feel like that’s unreasonable? Also this year as been weird all around so I understand people dropping out unexpectedly. That’s were a mandatory check in could prevent people from missing beers and still give time to allow a new brewer in with enough time to brew any of then “open” beers. Just a thought.

Forgot to post this last night! Great job @Ultryx. The spices are present and pleasant. Might let the next one warm up a bit before drinking. The last drink was the best 😁 What yeast did you use in this? Was it something Belgian?

Thanks @yoop89! I think some of the bottles tasted better than others and I think they were better shortly after being brewed. I was out of state for several months though so I had to make due with the time I had in order to make sure everyone would get a set! I think they taste better a little warmer also.

I used Safale S-04! First time using it also!

As an aside, I want to thank everyone in the West Coast group who participated this year. I had a great time brewing beer to share and I've been enjoying getting all the packages trickling in. I'll be having some this weekend so I'll jump on and let others know what I think.

Looking forward to 2021 and I hope we can entice others to participate so we can fill the West and East coasts! Cheers and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone!

Had me fooled! The spice profile was very nice and had me thinking along the lines of Belgian.

Loving the old ale by @Yeroc. The subtle Brett character blends nicely with the base beer. Could drink these all night.

59E10DDF-7524-43FF-9583-FA3090B60E40.jpeg

Still waiting in these:
@RPh_Guy Crabapple Lambicky Ale
I'm really sorry I haven't been able to get out sooner. I was waiting on a shipment of crabapples and then it never ended up coming so I had to make a switch to cranberries. It's been a pain. I'll send tracking info when I ship.

There unfortunately was one casualty in the package from @grampamark but everything else has gotten here safely so far.

@yoop89, Your Gruit is wonderful. I decided to have it Saturday afternoon while making cherry mash candy with my daughter. Very nice afternoon beverage. Really like the herbal spice aroma and the subtle, “just there” bitter backbone. Nice dry finish encouraged me to take the next sip and the next. There was a nice tannin woodiness to this that I liked. Is that from oak or herbs, I wonder. Hard to believe this is 10% abv. Very easy to drink.

1_Gruit_CharryMash.jpeg

@Ultryx, I let the Gingerbread Ale warm up about 20 minutes before opening and the carbonation caught me a bit by surprise. I get a subtle gingerbread in the aroma. Really enjoyed drinking this beer. The holiday spice was just right; I’ve found that is a balance hard to pull off without going over the top (or maybe just hard for me). Very quaffable brown ale that’s easy to drink.
2_Gingerbread Ale.jpeg

@JAReeves, Rounding out the sampling of the first three beers received. Like the label reads, a winter ale ginger honey IPA. For me this drinks a bit like a America brown ale with a strong hop bittering charge. Not sure I’m getting ginger in the taste, but maybe a little in the nose right after the pour followed by light hop pineness and toffee/caramel malt character. Very pleasant sipper on a Sunday afternoon. I might have to try this with our pork roast on Christmas day. Somehow, I think this would pair well with roasted meat.

3_Winter Ale Honey IPA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back