12 Beers of Christmas 2019 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The resurrection of the thread made me put one of mine in the fridge yesterday, and I still have one left of last year's stout to compare to. I think they are quite comparable, but tomorrow will tell. Mine has been aging for just two months now.

The architecture of your home looks similar to my chicken coop. If I lived in your location, I would have an open space plan as well. [emoji106]

How’d that stout turn out?

A little cat enclosure for the cats to go outside but not escape. Now we have tall fencing, so it's not so much of an issue...we actually give them free reign to go in and out of the backyard during the day (I also work from home so I make sure they don't do anything stupid).

I had it two months ago, and it was quite nice. I have one chilling now, but I'm hoping to get someone to split with me, so I can pop mine and 2018's offering (not mine) for a blind taste comparison. I can't drink them both, lol, or my stomach will get all bleh (continued stomach woes - lol, it's not the beer; it's me).

The spices for the west coast group Christmas Gruit. This is the weirdest beer I have ever made... and I did a fruit cake barley wine a few years ago...

God help us all.
20190905_180745.jpeg

Just checking in since I haven't posted much this year. All is still on track for the Old Ale (group 2). I last tasted it a few months ago immediately after taking it off the fruit. The fruit definitely changed the beer, mostly for the better but it also added some sharper and unexpected qualities that I hope will age out. I am hoping for a fully mellow and balanced old ale experience.

I brewed it in January so I'm thinking it will have ample age on it to be truly an "old" ale. Probably some oxidized character which is fine for the style. I brewed with Bell's cultured yeast and I think that was a good way to go, lots of fruity esters with a very smooth mouthfeel.

Thinking of beer labels now... maybe something along these lines: 40271-Vintage-Santa.jpg

Life got away from me there for a min. But Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock is being brewed right now for the West coast group! So stoked to be apart of this thing. I'll post some pictures soon. Thanks gang.

Brewing the west coast gingerbread beer today. Should be perfect to ship late Nov, that should give the spices time to mellow and blend.
IMG_20191013_081947.jpg
IMG_20191013_095207_(2).jpg

Last edited:
My labels are done. I want to post them here but I want it to be a surprise for the group. Hoping my label will be a top 3 in the east coast group!

Same attitude but mine won't be...mine printed significantly smaller than what I had thought. Apparently I can't measure :( oh well, it's still cute :)

My labels are done. I want to post them here but I want it to be a surprise for the group. Hoping my label will be a top 3 in the east coast group!

Same attitude but mine won't be...mine printed significantly smaller than what I had thought. Apparently I can't measure :( oh well, it's still cute :)

I kept mine low key until I shipped them out last year. Just thought it would be a fun thing to keep in the dark. But, it's what I'm struggling with this year. Need to come up with something...

After 8 months in the fermenter, 3 of those months on Cranberries, The Cranberry Lambicky for the West group went into the keg today.
Finish at 1.007, about 5.8 ABV. Raspberry is nice. Probably get a little funkier as it ages but it's going to be ready to drink for the holiday season. Please don't expect super creative labels. :)

20191025_134538.jpg

I still want to see TBC's labels! :D

John

Geez, now I’m feeling the pressure. Remember I said I was hoping for Top 3. That was my way of saying third. There were some great labels the last couple of years and I’m just trying to pickup my label game.

Are you in the east coast group?

It just dawned on me its almost November. Should we get a roll call from the groups to see if everyone is on schedule to ship? We are getting close to go or no go time.

We will also need someone to collect addresses for each group and send out.
The east coast group would be @MapleGroveAleworks or I can help him out if needed.

In the past we tried to ship around the week after thanksgiving.

Group 1
@HopHeavy @fourfarthing @Hoppy2bmerry @dryboroughbrewing @BradleyBrew @satph @Stupidsexyflanders @MapleGroveAleworks @Jtk78 @TBC @wstbrewing

Group 2
@gromitdj @Yeroc @bradccook @Jmarsh544 @anotherbeerplease @jerbrew @stansoid @jack13 @tochsner @chrisgood1 @TwistedGray @grampamark

Geez, now I’m feeling the pressure. Remember I said I was hoping for Top 3. That was my way of saying third. There were some great labels the last couple of years and I’m just trying to pickup my label game.

Are you in the east coast group?

No, I have been following this Christmas beer thread for a few years now. I like to see everyone really get into making these unique beers and all the comments. I really should join next years group. Don't feel any pressure we are just pulling for you! Lot's of luck!

John

Ryan and I are moving right along... The Honey Ginger IPA is ringing in at about 8.25%. The Caramel Quad is just over 10%. Planning on starting both to keg carb around Veteran's Day. Probably bottling the day after Thanksgiving and shipping the following week. Looking forward to cracking a few of everyone's on Christmas Eve!

Giving some thought to shipping. Looks like I could save a few dollars on each of the 11 packages by using a box specialized for shipping three 375ml beer bottles, by virtue of the fact that they are smaller than what I'd use otherwise (partly bc they don't require as much padding).

11 of such packages is about $30 plus $23 for shipping ($53). Kind of tough to swallow, but if you get 25 the cost per package goes down and shipping is only slightly higher. If I do the 12 beers again next year that would bring it down to just under $44 per 'year'. Either way I'm thinking the additional cost if you factor in saving a couple/few bucks per package in shipping cost may be worth the simplicity.

Any opinions on this, or additional knowledge to share?

And to anyone who lives in/near Astoria, NY: you can pick them up from the warehouse there and save the shipping cost. Kinda sucks...turns out I USED to live right by it.

EDIT: Forgot the link... https://spiritedshipper.com/product/89/three-beer-bottle-shipping-box

Giving some thought to shipping. Looks like I could save a few dollars on each of the 11 packages by using a box specialized for shipping three 375ml beer bottles, by virtue of the fact that they are smaller than what I'd use otherwise (partly bc they don't require as much padding).

11 of such packages is about $30 plus $23 for shipping ($53). Kind of tough to swallow, but if you get 25 the cost per package goes down and shipping is only slightly higher. If I do the 12 beers again next year that would bring it down to just under $44 per 'year'. Either way I'm thinking the additional cost if you factor in saving a couple/few bucks per package in shipping cost may be worth the simplicity.

And to anyone who lives in/near Astoria, NY: you can pick them up from the warehouse there and save the shipping cost. Kinda sucks...turns out I USED to live right by it.

EDIT: Forgot the link... https://spiritedshipper.com/product/89/three-beer-bottle-shipping-box

I recall that this mailer was used by one of the guys back in 2017. Our package was received intact, but one or two others had a break. A shame for them, cause it was a good beer! Take a look at this excerpted post from the 2017 thread...

Here. I bought 25 of them so that I would have some extras. I'm a little nervous to use them though because a couple of you had broken bottles. Not sure how they would get broken in there though, they are protected by 2 layers of cardboard. I think the bottles that were broke were those green bottles, Becks I think, maybe they are weak bottles.

http://spiritedshipper.com/category/5/beer-375ml-shippers/p/0/0

View attachment 549646

Yep, I sent 10 boxes out and 2 of them ended up with broken bottles. The boxes themselves are supercool (kinda pricey).

Since then I sent out a couple more. These arrived OK. This second time, I did put each bottle into it's own vacuum bag, then into nifty shipper. I'll continue using them this way I think.

Yep, I sent 10 boxes out and 2 of them ended up with broken bottles. The boxes themselves are supercool (kinda pricey).

Since then I sent out a couple more. These arrived OK. This second time, I did put each bottle into it's own vacuum bag, then into nifty shipper. I'll continue using them this way I think.

I'm not loving that success rate, but if you've still only had those green ones break that's more encouraging. They do seem thinner. Thanks. And regardless of what I go with I'll definitely bag each bottle in case of breaks.

Back