1000ml erlenmeyer...too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller12

Reaction score
I have a 1000ml erlenmeyer flask and want to start making starters but I am wondering if this is too small of a flask. I usually brew beer under 1.056. Should this be good or do I really need to get a bigger flask?

Use online calculators to determine how much you should pitch like mrmalty.com or yeastcalculator.com. If you make lower gravity beers then that might be ok but I would probably think about getting a 2000ml at some point. You'll probably also want to get some fermcap for your starters too so they don't overflow.

A 1 liter flask is going to be too small for a large amount of starters unless you do small batches or low gravity recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a 1000ml erlenmeyer flask and want to start making starters but I am wondering if this is too small of a flask. I usually brew beer under 1.056. Should this be good or do I really need to get a bigger flask?

I started out with a 1,000ml flask. It now sits unused next to my 2,000ml flasks. I didn't use that 1,000ml flask for very many batches.

I'd advise you to spend the extra bucks on the 2,000ml flask.

5 gallon batches...... 1L is really too small. To be honest, I usually find my 2L flasks on the small side. I have a 4L that I usually use.

5 gallon batches...... 1L is really too small. To be honest, I usually find my 2L flasks on the small side.

This. I use a 2000ml flask, and it's just barely big enough for 5 gallon low-to-medium gravity beers (for me). I often get messy blow-off even using fermcap.

I wouldn't even consider using a 1000ml flask except for small (2.5 gal or less) batches. I think a 3L or 4L flask is in my near future.

I started with 2L and went to a 3L. I try to save about 1/3 of each starter for future beers. I've found that many times my 2L flask had yeast bombs and overflowed so I grabbed a 3 and haven't looked back.
Keep in mind that not all stir plates will spin a 3L starter well.

I hate it when I find out information just a little to late. I just ordered a 1000ml flask the other day and I was going to do my first starter Wednesday. Oh well, live and learn.

Well, the good thing is, I do produce a bunch of 2 gallon batches, so the 1000ml flask will not go un-used. Guess I need to look into a bigger flask now.

I hate it when I find out information just a little to late. I just ordered a 1000ml flask the other day and I was going to do my first starter Wednesday. Oh well, live and learn.

Well, the good thing is, I do produce a bunch of 2 gallon batches, so the 1000ml flask will not go un-used. Guess I need to look into a bigger flask now.

I use 1L flasks all the time when stepping up small yeast starters or harvesting yeast from bottles... so all is not lost!

But it is a good idea to have a 2L flask for average size starters.

This is what I use for starters on the stir plate. 1.1 gallon capacity. First one I bought was $6. The second one was $5.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/new-yeast-starter-container-61619.html

I may have just solved my problem thanks to Flars and his post. I was so hung up on needing an Erlenmeyer flask that I didn't think about the 2 glass one gallon jug fermenters that I have. Just filled one up with 2000ml of water and tested it on my stir plate and we are good to go. I can even go bigger if needed as I have enough head space for it.

I started out with a 1,000ml flask. It now sits unused next to my 2,000ml flasks. I didn't use that 1,000ml flask for very many batches.

I'd advise you to spend the extra bucks on the 2,000ml flask.

This is my story exactly. But now I wish I also had a 4,000ml flask for lagers.

I started with a 2000 and moved to a 5000 so I can make any size starter I want. My starters are usually between 2000 - 3000 so I have extra room but didn't want to buy yet another flask.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

+1 on 2L as a minimum for 5gal. It's better to be too big and not lose yeast. When I started 10 gal, I'd come into the kitchen with a mess with yeast all over the counter because the 2L was too small (meaning 1L per 5 gal).

Now it sits unused because I had to step up to a 5L.

This is my story exactly. But now I wish I also had a 4,000ml flask for lagers.

I think two stir plates and two 2,000ml flasks would be the way to go instead of one stir plate and one 4,000ml flask. With two stir plates, you could make the same amount of starter but if you ever wanted to split a batch of wort up and use two different yeast strains on it to see what each would taste like then you have that capability. Stir plates are very easy to make and they're not very expensive if you make them yourself.

I think two stir plates and two 2,000ml flasks would be the way to go instead of one stir plate and one 4,000ml flask. With two stir plates, you could make the same amount of starter but if you ever wanted to split a batch of wort up and use two different yeast strains on it to see what each would taste like then you have that capability. Stir plates are very easy to make and they're not very expensive if you make them yourself.

That's an interesting idea. The cost to pick up another 2,000ml flask and to build another stir plate probably would be about the same as the cost of a single 4,000ml flask.

Thanks. My wife works at a cigar distributor and I have lots of boxes laying around. Glad I was able to finally find a use for one of them.

I think my 2L has a defect in the center of the base. The bottom has a small indentation and if that goes into the inside that is my issue. It throws my stir bar constantly and is very aggravating. When it does run, it's noisy as all get out. I am going to try one of those gallon rubbermaid jugs posted above before I buy another flask.

Can you use the 1 liter flask? Absolutely, but you'll likely need to prepare steps for many batches. I have a 2 liter that's great for most standard gravity ales. I eventually got a 5 liter for lagers and high gravity ales to eliminate the need to do multiple steps. Even with the 5 liter, I still had to do two steps for the doppelbock that I recently brewed.

I guess what I am saying is that you need to decide how much prep work you're willing to do for brew day. I'd personally rather spend less time making yeast starters, so I have larger vessels to accommodate that. Your mileage may vary.

Can you use the 1 liter flask? Absolutely, but you'll likely need to prepare steps for many batches. I have a 2 liter that's great for most standard gravity ales. I eventually got a 5 liter for lagers and high gravity ales to eliminate the need to do multiple steps. Even with the 5 liter, I still had to do two steps for the doppelbock that I recently brewed.

I guess what I am saying is that you need to decide how much prep work you're willing to do for brew day. I'd personally rather spend less time making yeast starters, so I have larger vessels to accommodate that. Your mileage may vary.

Well, since the gallon jug is working out, I will use that for the standard 5 gallon batch. The 1000ml flask I will use for my small batches - 1 or 2 gallons.

Back