☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Palos! Kettle Moraine! Come on, man!
When I bought the mountain bike I lived in Indiana and there was a mountain bike trail in a park nearby. Now I have a path nearby instead. I wouldn't consider either of those nearby. In the time it would take me to drive to Palos, I can get a good ride in on the road bike :)

I was also pretty sure that the mountain bike never really fit me well. So it made more sense to sell that one while I could get some money for it and buy something different when/if I am ready to use it. Right now, I'm more likely to get another road bike though.

I’ve got all the riding area I can handle. Its the skills that are lacking.

I'm in between Palos and Imagination Glen in Portage (guessing that's the place you were referencing @TallDan ). Both have some great trails for the area, but like @NGD mentioned, it's the skills I struggle with. I watch videos of guys riding and get all excited, then go out on the trail and, well...it's not as pretty as those youtube videos. What I imagine in my head and what actually happens are two very, very different things.

Fishing and drinking are more of my speed these days, and I feel comfortable saying that on a brewing forum. Sometimes people get kinda salty about that for some reason. My ideal day is getting in the boat at sunrise, cracking open a thermos full of home roasted coffee with a couple bobbers in the distance, and then moving on to some beers once the coffee is gone.

My roaster is a $12 ebay rotisserie basket on a piece of all thread driven by my cordless drill. Works a treat, can do 2+ lbs at a time. Started with a popcorn popper.
Are you using a heat gun setup or a BBQ? I have a weber summit with built in rotisserie motor and I’m seriously tempted try using a basket+heat gun combo for larger roasts.

Has anyone tried the Don Marios Anerobic from Bodhi yet? Curious if it lives up to the hype.

I'm in between Palos and Imagination Glen in Portage (guessing that's the place you were referencing @TallDan ). Both have some great trails for the area, but like @NGD mentioned, it's the skills I struggle with. I watch videos of guys riding and get all excited, then go out on the trail and, well...it's not as pretty as those youtube videos. What I imagine in my head and what actually happens are two very, very different things.

Fishing and drinking are more of my speed these days, and I feel comfortable saying that on a brewing forum. Sometimes people get kinda salty about that for some reason. My ideal day is getting in the boat at sunrise, cracking open a thermos full of home roasted coffee with a couple bobbers in the distance, and then moving on to some beers once the coffee is gone.
I'd ride the path in Rum Village Park in South Bend. Not a big place, but it was a real quick drive across town when I lived in South Bend, so I could hit it any time. Even then, I didn't get out there as much as I should have. It's just in the last few years that I've gotten myself into a habit of regular exercise of any sort.

My new Aillio parts arrived from Taiwan. I learned to solder (on a $3k roaster...) and upgraded to the new IBITS temp sensor, and installed a new control panel. Buttoned it all up and.... The roaster worked but the new sensor wasn't running right.

It looked like when I put it back together the harness partially came undone. Fixed that and I had two successful roasts. At least I think they are. The support will look at the roast logs Monday and let me know.

Looks like the roaster issues are done. I'm ready to move on - other projects to focus on and having a roaster that's limping along doesn't really do much good. Drinking some Mexico Terruno I roastered yesterday and while it's a little quick post roast, it's delightful.

I was looking for coffee the other day and went to a site I go to from time to time as they have some coffees that Sweet Maria does not carry much like Mexican and Bali coffee.

I noticed that they have a filter button for "Crown Jewel". They were sold out of the Uganda I would of liked to try at the time I looked but it might be a place to check if someone only wants a few pounds of crown jewel coffee.

capt. coffee crown jewels

I ended up going to Burmans and ordered some washed and natural process Bali coffee as well as some Mexican coffee.

I just finished 10 lbs of Burmans Mexico Terruno and really enjoyed it. I think it was my first Mexican and I was surprised - it was really really good. I had never thought of Mexico as a producer of great coffee.

I ordered both the washed and natural process version of that coffee. I have never really been to overwhelmed with the natural process mexican coffees but I keep trying them. I normally like washed mexican coffees for the lower acid and full body.

This is the Bali coffee I ordered, some years the Bali natural can be a very fruity coffee but it says this year is more clean. The Blue moon version is the same coffee washed.
Bali Natural

I ordered both the washed and natural process version of that coffee. I have never really been to overwhelmed with the natural process mexican coffees but I keep trying them. I normally like washed mexican coffees for the lower acid and full body.

This is the Bali coffee I ordered, some years the Bali natural can be a very fruity coffee but it says this year is more clean. The Blue moon version is the same coffee washed.
Bali Natural
Have 2 lbs of Blue moon I’m just starting to roast. How would you say this compares?

Have 2 lbs of Blue moon I’m just starting to roast. How would you say this compares?

I have not received the coffee yet, but the natural version normal has some ferment character like most dry processed coffee and some fruity flavor and aromas. Some years the fruit flavors/aromas are quite strong, one year I got a nice apricot flavor.

So I’m at a point where I would like to upgrade roasters from my current mix if popcorn popper for 2-3oz batches and barwell crockpot for 6-8oz batches.

The barwell does “okay” but originally I wanted to do a UFO setup with a turbo oven.

I’ve decided I’d rather invest the money towards an SR800 + Razzo Tube when available. That would give me an 8oz roast capacity l. Curious on thoughts using the Fresh Roast roasters in general. My understanding is they have more difficultly with peaberry but are otherwise good roasters.
I’m not opposed to springing for a gene cafe but I would love an 8oz capability so I can share with neighbors.

No direct experience with either roaster, but I have seen people say that the gene cafe was a bit noisy and hard to identify the sound of cracks. My brother had a fresh roast type roaster not sure the model(10years ago), he like it.

I had a Behmor roaster for a while, those are not too bad. They work great for 8oz batches and can do more with a little less control.

I did roast and brew the two coffees. The natural is fairly similar to the blue moon with a slight ferment or over ripe fruit type aroma. There is a little fruit flavor but very subtle so the comments about being clean seem to hold true. I did roast up close to 2nd crack so next time I will roast lighter to see if that brings up the fruit flavor.

I recently tried some Colombian Cauca I bought from Mill City Roasters. Roasted to med, using the heat gun & bowl method (I really do need to buy a real roaster some day). Very smooth, warm with a little bit of nice acidic bite.

On another note, I spotted one of those "Is it better to drink coffee in the morning or afternoon?" articles.
whynotboth.jpg

It's getting kind of quiet here in the coffee section...

I'm curious about the Behmor 2000AB Plus roaster. I see them for around $450 on Sweet Maria's, and that's about the limit of my budget right now were I to get a roaster. Trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger. Anyone have/had one of these? Thoughts?

Also had the 1600. For the price, it can't be beat unless you go down the heat gun/bread maker or other DIY roads. Downside is a lack of controls, but i think the 2000 at least improves on that a little. It does get messy and a little smoky, but all coffee roasters do to some degree.

Roasted up 9 lbs of coffee yesterday - was a heck of a lot of coffee, haven't had a day like that since Christmas. Of the ones I've been roasting lately, I've had some really great Ethiopian coffees that pair so well with the warmer weather.

I'm due to place another order pretty soon here, so if anyone has any coffees they've ordered recently which they've been enjoying - I'm all ears.

In other news, it's family trip season and guess who's bringing coffee. Lots and lots of coffee for plenty of people. Some love it black, others murder each cup with doses of milk and sugar. I have learned what to expect and don't get offended anymore. For the most part. ;)

Roasted up 9 lbs of coffee yesterday - was a heck of a lot of coffee, haven't had a day like that since Christmas. Of the ones I've been roasting lately, I've had some really great Ethiopian coffees that pair so well with the warmer weather.

I'm due to place another order pretty soon here, so if anyone has any coffees they've ordered recently which they've been enjoying - I'm all ears.

In other news, it's family trip season and guess who's bringing coffee. Lots and lots of coffee for plenty of people. Some love it black, others murder each cup with doses of milk and sugar. I have learned what to expect and don't get offended anymore. For the most part. ;)

I'm currently enjoying some Guatemalan Huehuetenango from Mill City Roasters. Their Peru Cajamarca is nice, too. But they sell in 10lb. minimum for each variety--not sure if you want that much.

I realized that I've been using the able kone with the chemex exclusively for quite a while for my pourovers. I broke that routine this morning with the standard chemex paper filter, adjusting the grind a bit coarser. Wow, what a change! Reminder to self: variety can come from changes in brew methods as well as from changes in coffees.

Argg @MaxStout that's a good suggestion, I never think of ordering from Mill City. I did just order 60 lbs from Sweet Maria's though, first order from them since Oct so should be a nice change of pace.

My new Aillio parts arrived from Taiwan. I learned to solder (on a $3k roaster...) and upgraded to the new IBITS temp sensor, and installed a new control panel. Buttoned it all up and.... The roaster worked but the new sensor wasn't running right.

It looked like when I put it back together the harness partially came undone. Fixed that and I had two successful roasts. At least I think they are. The support will look at the roast logs Monday and let me know.

Looks like the roaster issues are done. I'm ready to move on - other projects to focus on and having a roaster that's limping along doesn't really do much good. Drinking some Mexico Terruno I roastered yesterday and while it's a little quick post roast, it's delightful.
Super happy to hear it worked out.

Still heartbroken about the app and miss the coffee chat.

I am still drinking through the Ethiopia ardi deal I got and still am underwhelmed. I need some good coffee, I am going to check Burmans. Wow, those behmors are beasts! I think others have liked the sr800 fresh roast. I like mixing it up to TD I got a fake moka pot and it is fun. Just dont open lid while brewing because this one will spray with boiling coffee, it turns out!😁😱

How are those coffee flavorings going!?

Happy cups friends!

I'm in Breck right now and nothing like a good cup on vacation. Good for you for bringing for everyone. I think it's cool you take what others want into account. My fl trip brings has grown and I make bread, pasta, and coffee for friends down there. But I am not as nice as you, no one gets black. Lol I wonder if I know how to make it black ;). Mostly I never have a bean I want to burn. Sometimes even the most hardcore charbusters bucks will convert in two cups of the exquisite natural Ethiopians.

Oh, forgot to say, and this was my whole reason for signing on. This woman tells me in polite conversation, "espresso is a bean, google it, google it" and the way she was pointing in my face, I got a real laugh inside. Hopefully one of you know where I can get some expresso coffee. 😂

Speaking of bikes, hadn't ridden in a while, like since I was 10, and well son has one, and I have a good will turd, and boy it's pretty riding up here. There is a path through and out of town follows river and obviously so many more. Tip,
20210604_151033.jpg
20210604_151033.jpg
20210604_141043.jpg
20210604_151106.jpg
20210604_142934.jpg
20210604_161517.jpg
20210604_141043.jpg
20210604_151106.jpg
Dont ever ask the adrenaline bike shop guys for a tip. Yeah an easy green for beginners first time father and son 9 yo.

That means rocky singletrack, with exposure on both sides, and a couple mile ride from parking to trail head, downhill so up back, and oh btw everything is completely unmarked, so I guess hope you find the parking. Pretty proud of my son, it scared me a little in places for sure.

Nice scenery, Scrappy. Wish I was there--for many reasons, not the least being that the 95-100 degree weather came here a month early.
It really is cold up here. I cant believe it gets that hot up there in Minnesota. Dreading the heat this summer.

I like the way you put that htb about biking. Honestly I dont ever see myself flying down a mountain on a bike on a trail. I cant see any way to make it feel safe to me. After being on a green, the people into this are clearly cut from a different cloth than me. They seem to have a fearlessness that I lack. I do love the single track, but flying around a slick surface covered with large rocks on a bike is not in me. Maybe with those huge tires and lots of practice, but still to many variables for high speed riding for my taste.

Haha whenever bikers give trail advice I always laugh a bit, because they are either completely unaware of the average person's skills or they are being a bit smug. Sounds like your son was killin it though Apple! And you too, of course ;)

I've got another family rental coming up, and I'm thinking of roasting up a bunch of Guat for that. Seems to be a good crowd pleaser normally, and we'll go through a bunch of it I'm sure. Hoping my Sweet Marias shipment gets here soon, I'm dangerously low on beans all of a sudden.

Along those lines, I will also be stocking up on copious amounts of alcohol. Probably a couple homebrews, but also some cheap beers and decent bourbon. Pretty much every day feels like that Luke Bryan song: "Black coffee in the morning, dark whiskey in the evening."

Well I think my Behmor 1600+ needs some repairs or should be replaced. I was roasting some beans, all is good getting near the end where first crack should start any minute. Then several minutes go by and still no first crack. Check the temp and it’s down to 133. What the hell, did it start cooling down? Nope!
Now I’m trying to figure out what I need to do to troubleshoot it. I don’t want to go down a rabbit hole of ordering one or two parts at a time to try to fix it. Plus I figure now would be the time to do the upgrade to it too.
The other dilemma I have is do I just replace it with a new unit instead of trying to fix it? I would love to upgrade to a bullet but that wouldn’t fly with SWMBO given the cost.

@pshankstar I'm sorry to hear that. You may still want to reach out to Behmor customer support and see if they can get you in the right direction or help troubleshoot it. I know they are really good with helping even outside of the warranty period.

@pshankstar I'm sorry to hear that. You may still want to reach out to Behmor customer support and see if they can get you in the right direction or help troubleshoot it. I know they are really good with helping even outside of the warranty period.
Thanks bud and no worries!

It’s been a great workhorse for me. I’ll reach out to them tomorrow to get some direction on how to proceed. I really want to do the upgrade to it if I’m going to do any repairs. The dilemma I have is with the upgrade kit and just the elements I’m just shy of $150 for parts plus shipping. I could order a new Behmor for $450 shipped. I don’t want to put too much money into it and do all the repairs myself just to have something else fail shortly down the road. I feel if it’s going to be around $200 or more, I may just buy a new one. I hate to do that but that’s the struggle I have. Ugh 😩

It really is cold up here. I cant believe it gets that hot up there in Minnesota. Dreading the heat this summer.

I like the way you put that htb about biking. Honestly I dont ever see myself flying down a mountain on a bike on a trail. I cant see any way to make it feel safe to me. After being on a green, the people into this are clearly cut from a different cloth than me. They seem to have a fearlessness that I lack. I do love the single track, but flying around a slick surface covered with large rocks on a bike is not in me. Maybe with those huge tires and lots of practice, but still to many variables for high speed riding for my taste.

It's been >90 for over a week and expected to continue at least another week. We usually don't get this until July or so, but the heat has started early the past few years. It's like we have a month of spring, and a month of fall. I want to brew this weekend, but I'm not sitting in my garage next to a propane burner. It'll be an indoor brew on the stovetop.

EB2FE4A7-6924-422B-8F74-086E82EBA127.jpeg
Maybe this is why the elements stopped working? 🤣🤣🤣
New wire (thicker gauge) and connectors. Cleaned it again and did a dry run after a normal cleaning and the elements work again. I’ll have to write back to Behmor and send them this picture. Looking forward to start roasting again after a $5 fix.

Well I have my first "customer" issue. They say the coffee they bought from me is "sour" and requested a darker roast of something else. They had told me they liked dark roast, and I gave them a Peru that I dropped at the onset of 2C (which is dark for me). But apparently it's not right for them. Part of me wonders if they are grinding it too fine, or how they are making it.

It's funny how subjective it all is. I tried that roast this morning and it was delicious, but once you hand the beans to someone else it's completely out of your control between the grind, brew, and their taste buds. I'm thinking I'll roast a Colombian pretty darn dark and see what she thinks of it. I have a feeling in the long run this isn't going to be worth the hassle but we'll see.

Hey @pshankstar great that you found that! Any idea how it got to that point?

Well I have my first "customer" issue. They say the coffee they bought from me is "sour" and requested a darker roast of something else. They had told me they liked dark roast, and I gave them a Peru that I dropped at the onset of 2C (which is dark for me). But apparently it's not right for them. Part of me wonders if they are grinding it too fine, or how they are making it.

It's funny how subjective it all is. I tried that roast this morning and it was delicious, but once you hand the beans to someone else it's completely out of your control between the grind, brew, and their taste buds. I'm thinking I'll roast a Colombian pretty darn dark and see what she thinks of it. I have a feeling in the long run this isn't going to be worth the hassle but we'll see.

Hey @pshankstar great that you found that! Any idea how it got to that point?

Unfortunately, too many people (particularly Americans) are conditioned to think "dark roast" is the standard. Many coffee drinkers like that scorchy flavor. I was in that camp for a long time, until a local barista suggested I try lighter roasts. Now that I roast my own, I rarely go beyond medium roast. If somebody wants dark roast I use the cheapest beans I have on hand. It's not like they'll know the difference, anyway.

Back