☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doh
Screenshot_20190621-093322_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20190621-093313_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

My last was that sm, is that the hanabongi? It's super good, a little better than the maho. It was a superb deal.
I end up giving coffees nicknames. Bogali Turkey (I'm gonna roast that turkey!), Hambela Baked Alaska, Sidamo "Gerbil Killer", etc..

That one got the nickname "HandJobby".

I have some of that coffee Applescrap. Milk chocolate strawberry are dominant flavors. It is what I actually brewed this morning. Along with a shot of Brazilian bean espresso. :)
That's it, strawberry. The slightest hint on every third cup or so. Depending on palate cleanliness, maybe? A few cups of fairly marked fruit too.

I think mentioned this one a long time ago but Klatch must have a contract & great relationship with this farm. Ive had several year's crops on this & it is the most consistently fruit-punch coffee Ive ever had... wish is remarkable. Its always extremely fruity and ranges from a tropical fruit salad to blueberry & strawberry. It's not hard to pull the fruit flavors out either. Cool part is you can order it roasted by Klatch as well & compare to your own roasts to see how you're stacking up. Ive done this a couple times and been able to get pretty close to what they do with it.
If you order a 10lb bag, it drops the price to $8/lb which IMHO is a good price all things considered.
FTO Ethiopia Gedeo Worka Natural
Sounds awesome I'll check it out. I have enough for now and we aren't drinking it fast enough. Cold brew.

Roasted the last of my 2017 Banko. Only had 8oz left so I added 8oz of Ethiopia Oromia DP from the GCBC. The wife and I enjoyed the hell out of last batch of Oromia about 2 weeks ago - really fruity & easy drinking. Im thinking this will be a terrific blend.
Banko Oromia.png

Kenya Ichamama Triple Wash Crown Jewel.

First roast of this AA bean went well. You can see the crash at onset of 1C even though I kept the heat way up until the absolute last second. Drove the roast a bit faster than id like due to that so depending on how it cups I may charge a little lower to extend time to 1C. Id like to see that development % tighten up a bit and get closer to 10 rather than 15. Only 10.3% loss though which i gives isn't surprising considering it's a sub 8min. roast
Kenya Ichamam.png

Kenya Ichamama Triple Wash Crown Jewel.

First roast of this AA bean went well. You can see the crash at onset of 1C even though I kept the heat way up until the absolute last second. Drove the roast a bit faster than id like due to that so depending on how it cups I may charge a little lower to extend time to 1C. Id like to see that development % tighten up a bit and get closer to 10 rather than 15. Only 10.3% loss though which i gives isn't surprising considering it's a sub 8min. roast
View attachment 632260
What does the line that crashed represent? Cant wait to hear how you like it.

With a birthday coming up, I'd like to up my game with pour over. I know this has been discussed many times on the last 143 pages, but I was wondering if anyone uses the OXO electric gooseneck and their feelings on it.

I was also considering the Hario Woodneck cloth filter pour over drip pot vs. the Chemex.

Thanks for any input.

PS: I roast my own on a Behmor and grind on an OXO conical burr, so I have those parameters to work with.

Speaking of Behmor, I see the 1600 AB Plus is out. Is this the same one that everyone was out of for a while, or is it a new iteration? Received an email from Williams Brewing promoting it a few days ago. I'm guessing it's available all over or will be soon. For $400, it's tempting, but I'd like to see some reviews first if it is a new model.

S92.JPG

With a birthday coming up, I'd like to up my game with pour over. I know this has been discussed many times on the last 143 pages, but I was wondering if anyone uses the OXO electric gooseneck and their feelings on it.

I was also considering the Hario Woodneck cloth filter pour over drip pot vs. the Chemex.

Thanks for any input.

A few of us use the Bonavita electric kettle...it's kind of the "name" for serious hobby-ists and small cafes. You can get the 1L for like $45 and the 1.7 L for about $65 https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV3...ocphy=9007525&hvtargid=pla-275333816061&psc=1

I would strongly suggest the Chemex over any other options for pourover, but I'm heavily biased because I think the Chemex is the sexiest, easiest, and best tasting device made to brew coffee. You've got some options with it too in the filter game - paper filters (for the signature clean Chemex flavor) or a re-usable filter basket (for more oils, body, and french-press like flavors).

Again, just my personal opinions.

I'm guessing it's available all over or will be soon. For $400, it's tempting, but I'd like to see some reviews first if it is a new model.

It's pretty much the same roaster with a couple small changes. https://burmancoffee.com/product/home-coffee-roasters/behmor-1600-plus-home-coffee-roaster/ According to Burmans:
Similar to its predecessor, it runs the same roasting programs and has the same controls as the previous model. The main appearance difference is the black on black color versus black on stainless. Turns out coffee roasting can stain “stainless”… should look a little nicer in the years to come. It has a new more serious door handle along with a double pained window, should insulate the roasts a little better. A new motor is being used giving the user more control over drum speed.

I am sure you would be fine to order it now considering how similar it is to the previous model. Behmor stands by it's products and will provide any support you might need too.

I am not a fan of the Woodneck and drip pots in general. They require a coarser grind than most brewers and suffer from slower draw times and uneven extraction, as you can't control the slurry depth. Also, they tend to strip out much of the fruity-aromatics found in lighter roasts... but they do make for a smoother and heavier body.

That said, I would go with the Chemex over the Woodneck, although I personally prefer the Hario V60 and Kalita Wave for pourovers, especially when using the high acidity coffees.

For the Hario V60 does size make a difference in taste? Would one be better over the other when making just one serving?

The V60 02 is great for single-cup brewing. They do have a V60 03 model which is made for brewing two cups at a time; I haven't used it though. If you use the V60 for 2+ cups it's tough to get a proper extraction but you can lift up the filter to aid it (more on this below).

I have run 70 grams of coffee through the Chemex (which produces about 3 cups worth) a number of times. Naturally it requires some technique changes; you have to be careful with your bloom because it can really rise up over the edge, especially with super fresh coffee. You can also speed up the brew time by lifting the filter up out of the Chemex just a little bit. Some people use chop sticks to assist with this, and doing this can help keep the brew times under 5 mins which, imo, is pretty dang good through the Chemex with about a liter of water.

Warm weather finally reached Chicago (for perspective I turned my ac on for the first time this past weekend). With that it is espresso season and I got this beautiful shot out of the Ethiopia Hangahi. 40 second pull, awesome wine - like flavors. I would drink this every day.
20190701_143435.jpeg

A few of us use the Bonavita electric kettle...it's kind of the "name" for serious hobby-ists and small cafes. You can get the 1L for like $45 and the 1.7 L for about $65 https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV3...ocphy=9007525&hvtargid=pla-275333816061&psc=1

I would strongly suggest the Chemex over any other options for pourover, but I'm heavily biased because I think the Chemex is the sexiest, easiest, and best tasting device made to brew coffee. You've got some options with it too in the filter game - paper filters (for the signature clean Chemex flavor) or a re-usable filter basket (for more oils, body, and french-press like flavors).

Again, just my personal opinions.

Thanks for the replies, but.....I hastily pulled the trigger on the Hario Woodneck and the OXO electric kettle before I heard from anyone. I also got a Coffee Gator scale. I don't have too much buyer's regret, at least not yet, because I have been very happy with my OXO grinder and drip machine. And as bierhaus15 said the drip pot makes a smoother and heavier body and that is first and foremost what I am after. I don't doubt I will pick up a Chemex in the not too distant future, anyhow.

One thing I will do for sure is verify the water temperature in the kettle with a thermocouple. I despise readout errors.

I'm really liking 20g of coffee in a 2oz shot. 1# green yields about 400g roasted so with 5# I have 99 more shots to go!
Kenya Ichamama Dark. Honey, chocolate, plum, cinnamon and apple. Heavy body. Mild acidity.

View attachment 633918
“99 shots of espresso on the wall, 99 shots of espresso, you take one down, pass it around...”

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.

Mroing and happy 4th. Roasted more hana, chocolatey and nice body. Still not getting fruit. Ok, you guys that have been talking deals, bl special this week is 25 off a AA rated Kenyan. At 5 pounds I figure 32 or 33 to the door shipping included. If you like kenyan this could be your back up to the good stuff!

Oops I should add that I have drank it and it is AA quality, but not amazing like the 10 dollar a pound types.

Mroing and happy 4th. Roasted more hana, chocolatey and nice body. Still not getting fruit. Ok, you guys that have been talking deals, bl special this week is 25 off a AA rated Kenyan. At 5 pounds I figure 32 or 33 to the door shipping included. If you like kenyan this could be your back up to the good stuff!

Oops I should add that I have drank it and it is AA quality, but not amazing like the 10 dollar a pound types.
AA rated? AA quality? You mean AA screen size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_production_in_Kenya

Oops, sorry I thought that was a rating of quality. Appreciate you pointing that out. Reading more I see there is a class given. I dont think I have seen that? I think I might like the ab more than the as. I will have to keep this in mind.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking to make a giant leap fwd on your grinder there is a used Monolith Conical for sale over @ HB. These do pop up time to time & this is a gen 1 but the seller is a good dude (so assume it would be a clean transaction & as advertised unit). I slightly prefer the flat burr but the conical is no slouch. Anyhow - mostly shared it bc I feel the seller is a reputable person:
https://www.home-barista.com/buysell/kafatek-monolith-conical-t59524.html#p662974

If anyone is looking to make a giant leap fwd on your grinder there is a used Monolith Conical for sale over @ HB. These do pop up time to time & this is a gen 1 but the seller is a good dude (so assume it would be a clean transaction & as advertised unit). I slightly prefer the flat burr but the conical is no slouch. Anyhow - mostly shared it bc I feel the seller is a reputable person:
https://www.home-barista.com/buysell/kafatek-monolith-conical-t59524.html#p662974
It looks super diesel. Curious how low it will go.

Haha, I tried to get that cold brew shot and didn't know coffe or cream 1st. I chose, poorly. So good. Light roasted hanabi. You can see a little too fine perhaps, or maybe just right. I put the water and coffee in and shake it. So just a little sediment. More than this and you have gone a little fine. It's been a while and amazed once again at the flavors. All the good without, is it oxidation that is limited, providing the fresh flavor? Idk. Looks light but was strong. Super good. What are you all drinking these days?
20190706_094521.jpeg
20190706_094204.jpeg
20190706_094214.jpeg

We did an outdoor 4th of July breakfast with a bunch of family. With the weather as hot as it is now I brought some fruity Kenyan coffee. I did a black and tan version, blending a lighter and darker roast (13% and 18% development, so really quite light for the dark roast still). For this breakfast I used to brew these in a Chemex but it's not worth the effort for the situation so I just run it through a coffee maker now. I brought about 3 pots of coffee out to the breakfast and it was a big hit. It's always fun to share something that is "normal" to me but such a big step up for others.

I also travel with a blade grinder because I don't feel like hauling around the Vario when I'm on the road. It's amazing how much a difference there is between a blade grinder and a burr grinder - my wife made a comment about it while she was doing a pour over this past weekend.

And before anyone bothers to say it: No - I will not be buying a manual grinder to use on the road when I'm making coffee for 6+ people! :p

Just got an email from Legacy Farms (guessing a few of you got this too) that they have new crops coming soon with different process techniques having been used.

This is something I am really looking forward to, because you can try the exact same coffee processed a few different ways, and see how the processing can affect the flavor and how it roasts.

upload_2019-7-9_9-46-50.png

Just got an email from Legacy Farms (guessing a few of you got this too) that they have new crops coming soon with different process techniques having been used.

This is something I am really looking forward to, because you can try the exact same coffee processed a few different ways, and see how the processing can affect the flavor and how it roasts.

View attachment 634798

I received that too. I'm curious about the other three varieties: the Bourbon, Catuai, and Icatu. Need to do some research to see how those varieties are distinguished from one another, and from the Lempira I've had already.

It looks like the Legacy Farms beans are available to buy. I am very interested in trying the same beans just processed differently, but I'll hold off on ordering some since we will be on vacation soon and I still have a lot of African beans to get through from the Sweet Maria's sale a couple months back. Anyone who gets any I'll be curious to hear their thoughts.

I see the prices are still the same--$5/lb. and for all varieties. Can't beat that price. Now a 6 lb. minimum order instead of 5, still free shipping. I assume that's what they can stuff into a flat rate mailer, so more efficient shipping.

Back