☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My $4.00 find at a neighborhood garage sale today.

WhirlyPop.jpg

Had to try it out on the kitchen stove, of course. Set the stove burner to medium, preheated the popper for about a minute, dumped in 1/3 lb. Colombian beans, stirred. About 9 minutes to 1c, kept going about 3 more minutes. I did scorch some of the beans initially, next time will set burner on low, then ramp up. Electric stoves kind of suck for this, as they run with an on/off duty cycle, not much in the way of heat moderation.

Stunk up the kitchen a bit, and some chaff on the floor. Didn't trigger the smoke detectors. Coffee tastes OK, not great. First batch, didn't expect much. I might play with this some more, but I still like the heat gun method. With the heat gun I can see it better, hear the cracks, and control heat better.

I loved roasting on my whirly. Down side is, you can't vent it and you have to crank it fast to keep from scorching, but I made some dang good coffee in that back when I first started. I personally liked 1/2 lbs of beans and usually roasted for about 10 or 12 mins if I remember right. That's a nice extra tool in the arsenal.

Haha, the whirly pop! I started with one on this very thread. Plenty of discussion then worth a peek I am sure. Iirc I was doing pounds no problem and the little larger amounts buffered the heat, maybe? I dunno. Correct charge is always better when roasting. I cranked fast I think for most even results. Start to finish, cranking hard. I would take it outside quick when it started smoking. Jammin talked me into the hg bm setup and I think it was like, boom, the next day got it done and here I am now.

Super cool you roasted on it. Like a right of passage almost. Passed has a pretty good story about his. I taped my lid open so I could see. Tried it on the grill, but that didn't work with my setup. Have seen people mount motors on them. Look forward to your results with it.

I spent my Friday morning reading the first 15 or so pages of this thread and holy sht we've all come a long way! (Except for @jammin because I think he's been there all along haha).

I'm still incredibly grateful I stumbled across this thread back in 2014 because for a couple years I had been interested in roasting but didn't know where to start. The collection of knowledge and experiences in this thread is nothing short of awesome. Props to @passedpawn for starting this half a decade ago.

Finally, I found this gem from a few years back. Yup...took a few years to get my upgrades.

upload_2019-7-12_10-6-5.png

Haha, it's been a journey! I took the last several months off from roasting, though I have a bunch of green beans. My kids were in and out of the house, transitioning from colleges to jobs, medical school, etc. They like the Dunkin flavored coffees (I do too!) so my wife has been loading the cabinet with many pounds of it, vanilla hazelnut etc, and I've been drinking that.

Anyway, back to the beanery now. I'll probably be roasting this weekend.

Tried the whirly again, this time with a larger batch--2/3 lb. Just at the yellowing stage the gears decided to strip, and I was unable to finish the roast. Good thing I only spent a few bucks on it and didn't pay for new. I'm more pissed about wasting a pound of good beans.

To add insult to injury, the soft aluminum bottom of the popper left a ring of metallic scuff marks on my glass top range. :mad:

I'm sticking with the heatgun.

Tried the whirly again, this time with a larger batch--2/3 lb. Just at the yellowing stage the gears decided to strip, and I was unable to finish the roast. Good thing I only spent a few bucks on it and didn't pay for new. I'm more pissed about wasting a pound of good beans.

To add insult to injury, the soft aluminum bottom of the popper left a ring of metallic scuff marks on my glass top range. :mad:

I'm sticking with the heatgun.

If it's the model with the nylon gears, same happened to me. I've replaced that whirley with the all-metal version (though I don't use it for coffee anymore).

I spent my Friday morning reading the first 15 or so pages of this thread and holy sht we've all come a long way!]

its hard to believe that much time has flown by honestly. not to get all sappy but i love this thread and all'a y'all:mug:

and i second the THANK YOU to @passedpawn for putting this together & and the cool coffee emoji's

its hard to believe that much time has flown by honestly. not to get all sappy but i love this thread and all'a y'all:mug:

and i second the THANK YOU to @passedpawn for putting this together & and the cool coffee emoji's
Yeah, thanks, @passedpawn. I never would have started down this home roasting rabbit hole if it wasn't for this thread.

(Sarcastic thanks? non-sarcastic? I don't even know...)

Well said all, count me in as +1. Way to kick it off harbourtown with that cool and thoughtful post.

Man Maxstout, sorry to hear. What a friggin deal.

It's the "Theater II" brand. Whatever that is.

It's in the trash. Experiment over. Now I have to get the aluminum scuffs off the stovetop.
If the barkeepers friend does not take care of your cooktop, this is the stuff my wife use to clean up our glass top stove. I think it comes in a smaller bottle too.
https://www.amazon.com/ELCO-Cook-Cl...ktop+cleaner&qid=1562997500&s=gateway&sr=8-41
While searching for the stuff I seen barkeeper friend makes something special for cook tops too.

@MaxStout - I’m regards to your scarred glass cooktop. Google search “Cerium Oxide”. It’s the only thing I know of that can truly correct actual scratches & deeply etched in water spots. You’ll need an electric/mechanical/rotary/DA polisher & felt pad.

Roasted the last pound of this. I was surprised at how much longer it took to cool comparatively. Full heat to 1c at 923, started timer maybe 30 seconds late. Turned down to 5 of 6 power once really going. Let it go 70 seconds past 1c. Pulled it while it was still really popping. Some starting to go towards 2c surely. Smelled berries at about 50 seconds in. Should have pulled it there. Chocolatey is my first impression. Second is that it's really good. Have really been enjoying cold brew drinks. Here it is, little uneven like most dp roasts seems to turn out.
20190714_140812.jpeg
20190714_143032.jpeg
20190714_142954.jpeg

Just went to their site. They're sold out of the bourbon--both red honey and washed versions. Grrrrr.

Maybe I'll order some of the Icatu.

Edit: They also have Lempira peaberry for $6/lb.
PM me your info and I will send some of the red honey bourbon greens your way.

I just roasted up 3oz of each variety I bought. The Icatu roasted the quickest and went from first crack to second rapidly. The Red Bourbon at first and second crack were both lighter colored than any other coffee I've roasted and roasted at the same pace as the Limpera, which is about an average rate on the popcorn popper. The Catuai took much longer but it seems to be the best looking roast. there was very little difference in roasting times between the processing methods. I'll wait a couple of days before cupping.

Last edited:
Bl sale is the Ethiopia guji this week at 25 off. That's under 30 for 5 pounds of gr 1 natural Ethiopian to the door. Good for an inbetween the really good stuff drinker.
Screenshot_20190716-164039_Email.jpeg

Yesterday I roasted a PNG...I've only done one of these before. I decided to slow it down in the drying phase because, well, lately I've been doing the same basic profile for most of my beans and I was ready to try something a little different.

I went with a little less heat from about 2:20 - 4:45; once the beans hit the Yellowing stage I ramped up power to make up for the lower power the previous few minutes. Ended up recovering nicely (didn't know how that would go) and had some good momentum to carry me into 1C at about 8:00. 1C lasted a nice 1:30, and I dropped it with 18% development.

I drank it this morning because I was out of other coffee and I was really pleasantly surprised at how much flavor it already has. A nice smooth cocoa powder flavor already and really nice body. It's fun to experiment with a new process and have it come out tasting good.

Just received my 6 lbs. Lempira Peaberry today. Can't wait to roast some, but will wait til tomorrow, when the temp will be 15 degrees cooler.
They included a 1oz. sample of their coffee cherry tea (cascara). Never had that before, so looking forward to making it in a press.

@Br3w4u - did you order any of the peaberry? If not, I'll send you some.

LempiraPeaberry.jpg

Just received my 6 lbs. Lempira Peaberry today. Can't wait to roast some, but will wait til tomorrow, when the temp will be 15 degrees cooler.
They included a 1oz. sample of their coffee cherry tea (cascara). Never had that before, so looking forward to making it in a press.

@Br3w4u - did you order any of the peaberry? If not, I'll send you some.

View attachment 636313
I did not but I will gladly take you up on the offer. You should have the beans I sent by Tuesday and my address is on the package. Thank you sir! :rock:

Drinking through the Burmans top lot coming off of a few weeks of hanagobi and guji, the top lot is an impressive step up. Rich in chocolate scents and body, its surprising how much more flavorful it is. The other two are quite good. But not so much wow.

No one jump on the Ethiopian dp gr 1 sale? I already have some, and some more of that hana so I am on the fence. My next buy will probably be a more top lot style coffee. I might pick up 5 pounds of the guji anyways. The light fruit taste and chocolate tones are nice enough. How is the lempira?

Oops,made some killer shots yesterday. I have been drinking cold brew as well. I dump the coffee over ice and hit it with, ugh, dare I say, Carmel crapiato or whatever it is. Really tasty, but cold brew, dang. Give it a try.
20190718_082633.jpeg

Back