Wife Wants to Dump Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironman2

Reaction score
For a first try I made some Peach Cider out of peaches from my tree and it has been in bottles for a month now.

I dont know what a peach cider should taste like all I can do is try to explain how mine tastes and SMELLS!!!

I primed my cider with both Lactose and priming sugar - wanted both sweet and bubbly.

I have been cracking open a bottle a week and this is the first week that I have have a bottle with more than a few bubbles. Also it is very tart even though I added lactose its still pretty tangy.

I can taste the peaches and it has a pleasant taste but I have a noticable sulfur taste along with a really bad sulfur smell. My wife doesnt even want to sit next to me when I drink a bottle its so bad. Last night she said why dont I throw it all out.

I have two cases sitting there. From some of the posts I am seeing now it looks like some people are talking about waitng 3 months in bottles before the cider is ready to drink. I dont know if they are talking about clearing or my type of problem.

Any cider pros that can offer any details. I dont see many posting about the smell they get, so I dont know if I have a problem or not.

Ok this is what I have read... over time the sulfur smell/taste will mellow out. Also that you would need to age it one week for every percent of alcohol. I would just let it go a little longer. Just my two cents.

It's not technically a cider (that needs apple juice of course) but i'm splitting hairs, back to your post! :D
Sulphur notes seem to be linked to certain yeasts and fruits but mostly it seems to happen in primary - the plum wine i've put into secondary about 3 weeks ago was the closest thing to a sulphur smell i've ever had - now it's fine, But i'll age it further before even considering bottling.
The tartness will mellow - it's the sulphur tones that makes me worry with it already bottled. However i'm an optimist about homebrew so if you've been brewing a while with successes (and the elderberry wine is still going okay i assume) I'd say leave it for 6 months (not 3!) and try it again!

Since it's already bottled and all the hard work is done, why dump it?? Just find a place to store it and forget about it for several months and try it again later. I'd keep it in the basement or another place with a (somewhat) constant temperature, though.

Well I'm back with some postive results. I have been drinking a bottle every week to see if the quality is getting any better and lol and behold it is getting pretty tasty.

The sulpher smell is about 80% gone and the flavor is very fruity. I may not add acid blend next time since it is pretty tart even when I add some splenda.

I have just the right amount of carbonation. The wife doesnt complain about the smell as much. Looking forward to trying a Grapefruit Cider for my next attempt as soon as my grapefruits on the tree ripen all the way.

Next batch I will wait at least 3 months in the bottle before trying it out.

Getting ready to bottle my Fat Tire Clone.

I have read that wine makers, when opening a wine that smells like sulfur, will decant it for an hour or so before drinking it as this gets rid of the sulfur smell. I know you said the sulfur is 80% gone, but perhaps decanting would get rid of the other 20% ? Worth a shot I bet.

Back