Bland peach cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmmCider

Reaction score
Tried my hands at a peach cider, used a jar of peach preserves and martinelli apple juice, had a couple leftover frozen/thawed peaches on hand that I threw in (literally like 3 or something insignificant). Tossed in EC-1118 and some fermaid o. Dried out to a 1.000. Backsweetened with a simple syrup made from Erythritol and water. Now the same process was used for a pineapple cider I’m brewing (except D47 instead for yeast). The pineapple is MUCH stronger in flavor. I’m sure the preserves were just lacking in flavor vs the 32 oz of pure pineapple juice used.
My question is, any suggestions on upping the flavor profile of the peach? I know when I prime and bottle after cold crashing, the pineapple flavor became more pronounced, will the same happen to the peach? I have a bag of frozen peaches on hand I can toss in but that would restart fermentation. Is that bad now that it’s already backsweetened? I could put it back out after cold crash and add froze /thawed peaches and just monitor my gravity readings? Any tips appreciated!!!

You backsweetened. Did you stabilize it first? The preserves were probably mostly hi-fructose corn syrup, anyway. I'd stabilize with k-meta and k-sorbate for 3 days or so, then backsweeten with peach juice.

Last edited:
You backsweetened. Did you stabilize it first? The preserves were probably mostly hi-fructose corn syrup, anyway. I'd stabilize with k-meta and k-sorbate for 3 days or so, then backsweeten with peach juice.
Yeah I backsweetened with Erythritol, I don’t mind the taste and enjoy the peace of mind of not causing fermentation again but also I try not to stabilize so I can carbonate with my priming sugar (1/4 can whichever juice concentrate I pick).
If I stabilize (and then backsweeten with juice) next time would I then be able to carbonate without a keg? Or once I stabilize it’s force carb only? Attached pics of the preserves and it’s ingredient list, looks like no high fructose but I could be wrong.
With this peach batch it just started its cold crash today. I do have k sorbate on hand when I need it.

Once you stabilize it's force-carb or still only.
Dang that’s what I figured. So I guess as far as where I’m at now it’s just move forward, let it finish its cold crash, and then rack/prom then rack/bottle and just have a very slightly peach - apple cider huh? Lol

Hypothetically if it finishes a cold crash or even if I pull it out now, and added a bag of frozen peaches to let it sit. I’m assuming it would start up fermentation again, and that the only way to safely do things is take readings every few days until gravity stops changing? Then I could redo the whole cold crash thing and just bottle/prime since it’s already been backsweetened with erythritol? My gut tells me to just ride this out, take notes, and use more peaches next time. Who knows maybe after the cold crash and after it gets primed and bottle and sits, maybe the peach will come through.

I also included a pic of the peach reserves and the ingredients in case there’s something obvious im missing.

Attachments

• IMG_2855.jpeg
    IMG_2855.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2854.png
    IMG_2854.png
    797.2 KB · Views: 0
I make "peach" flavored beer and cider. On the advice of some pro brewers, I was told to use apricot instead as it holds up better, and tasters can't really tell the difference.

Last edited:
The problem with peaches is that there flavor is VERY thin. You taste the sweetness, not the flavor and so when you ferment the sugars you are left with very little flavor. I agree with shetc that you might want to try using apricots in lieu if peaches but one thing you MIGHT try is look for peach juice and then freeze it. After it is frozen hard, allow it to gently thaw and collect about 1/3 -1/2 of the juice. You will concentrate all the sugars and the flavors while removing the water without cooking the fruit. Try it.

I just did a peach brew, used
1 gallon celestial seasonings peach zinger tea,
a pound of frozen peaches,
Pectic enzyme
Nutrient
Safale so4

Peach flavor was perfect
Probably could have used some acid
I will be developing this recipe further

I just did a peach brew, used
1 gallon celestial seasonings peach zinger tea,
a pound of frozen peaches,
Pectic enzyme
Nutrient
Safale so4

Peach flavor was perfect
Probably could have used some acid
I will be developing this recipe further
I'm not sure I understand.
You just used water to do your tea and add frozen peaches in it? No apple cider?

Crap, was I in the cider thread? Apologies. Yes no apple juice

There isn't a thread for fruit ciders other than apple. But you can make a "cider" from any fruit. Fruit ciders are often 5-6% ABV and carbonated, so they don't really belong in the wine category. This might be the best place for non-apple "ciders."

Purists might argue that these should not be called "cider," but they aren't wine either. Is there a better name for this category?

Back