Warm Fermented Lager Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally cracked open my steam beer made with wlp800. It is a great lager! Much surprise by how the malt character is there as well as a clean bitterness which the recipe says is about 35 but tastes more in the 40-45 range. It is very similar to a german altbier I brewed in the past but none of the ale flavor.

Racked other 5 gallona of bock. After a month in primary it was crystal clear. Until i dropped racking cane in for a second, doh. This one is better.
20180608_101426.jpg

Finally cracked open my steam beer made with wlp800. It is a great lager! Much surprise by how the malt character is there as well as a clean bitterness which the recipe says is about 35 but tastes more in the 40-45 range. It is very similar to a german altbier I brewed in the past but none of the ale flavor.

And to my understanding WLP800 is actually an Ale strain after all (from DNA testing/research). So my guess is it ferments a bit warmer as well as able to do a nice job if fermented cooler.

Giving S-23 a try as my LHBS was out of 34/70. Not worried about fruity esters as I gave it late additions of Amarillo and if it does pop out fruity will only help them along, at least that's what I'm telling myself. Whatever, it will be beer.

At what temperature will ferment?
70 to 75 I think. Lower when air conditioner is on. Already going nuts both of them. I stirred after yeast sat a few moments and i think that helped it get started quicker. Was short on time and wanted to do no boil, no chill, but went ahead and boiled so i could get the citra to bitter it a little. These single malt beers are cost effective because the only grain is bulk purchased.

70 to 75 I think. Lower when air conditioner is on. Already going nuts both of them. I stirred after yeast sat a few moments and i think that helped it get started quicker. Was short on time and wanted to do no boil, no chill, but went ahead and boiled so i could get the citra to bitter it a little. These single malt beers are cost effective because the only grain is bulk purchased.

I know you worked often without boil, as well as me, and I'm wondering if you've ever tried to make the same beer with boil and without boil for seeing the difference?

Giving S-23 a try as my LHBS was out of 34/70. Not worried about fruity esters as I gave it late additions of Amarillo and if it does pop out fruity will only help them along, at least that's what I'm telling myself. Whatever, it will be beer.

S-23 is quite ester-y. I used it a 60° a few months ago in a dark lager, turned out fantastic after 2+ months. Not sure if it was the yeast or the use of roasted barley that caused the initial terrible-ness. But, whatever, it is damn good now.

S-23 is quite ester-y. I used it a 60° a few months ago in a dark lager, turned out fantastic after 2+ months. Not sure if it was the yeast or the use of roasted barley that caused the initial terrible-ness. But, whatever, it is damn good now.

I think that is roasted barley.

I just pulled a gravity sample from my Czech Pilsner that I used S-23 with. The diacetyl is almost gone, and this looks like it's gonna be a very good beer. The esters are there, but quite subdued in my beer. I fermented at around 60 degrees. I already have plans to harvest the yeast and make another batch as soon as these get bottled.

This one is sitting at 63 and going great guns after about 24 hours. Had some foamy action on top this morning before work, just got home from second job and it's got full krausen and lots of frenetic yeast action down below. Weather forecast for the next week has us in another heat wave (80's this weekend and 90's by early next week) but I DON'T CARE HAHAHAHA because fermentation fridge will keep my beers happy. Tempted to give it a sniff but will restrain myself until the weekend. It will probably wind up with some diacetyl but I know how to get rid of it now, and have time in hand to let this one finish out in its own time.

Let's see if I have this right:

German strain 34/70 (presumably WLP830, Wy2124, OYL-114)
Swiss strain S-189 (presumably WLP885)
California Common strain (Wy2112, WLP810, M54, L05)
Ale strain posing as a lager strain WLP800

My understanding is that OYL-114 is supposed to be the Augustiner strain similar to Wyeast 2352 Munich II. That being said the OYL-114 is now one of my house strains, I use it for both ale and lager recipes fermented at 65F. Makes a great beer...

My understanding is that OYL-114 is supposed to be the Augustiner strain similar to Wyeast 2352 Munich II. That being said the OYL-114 is now one of my house strains, I use it for both ale and lager recipes fermented at 65F. Makes a great beer...
So you'd say it has a lager profile even fermented at 65, or more like an ale?

Lager for sure. Drinkin' a Pils right now, clean, crisp, no esters, just a tiny bit of sulfur/mineral in the nose. I use it anywhere I want a nice clean yeast, used to do it with 34/70, but I like the OYL-114 a bit better, floccs better as well...

My lager with W-34/70 fermented around 26 ° C was significantly damaged. The taste is getting worse, and the smell is very bad.
I threw it into the drain.

I'm sure I will no longer try to use the lager yeast at high temperature.

It is difficult to describe. Bad. Very bad.
That the contamination would be visible immediately, and there would be visible remains.
I think the esters overpowered all the taste and smell, and the hops were not enough to suppress them.

Was this a non-boiled beer?

Not boiling, as well as fermenting so high both increase risk of contamination.
I'm not surprised to see several probable reports of it in this thread. It can appear exactly the same as a non-contaminated beer.

I'm wondering if 34/70 doesn't out-compete other microbes very well at higher temps for some reason.

Last edited:
Was this a non-boiled beer?

Not boiling, as well as fermenting so high both increase risk of contamination.
I'm not surprised to see several probable reports of it in this thread. It can appear exactly the same as a non-contaminated beer.

I'm wondering if 34/70 doesn't out-compete other microbes very well at higher temps for some reason.

OK. But my all other No Boil beers (7 batches) turn god. But, with ale yeast, mostly with US-05.

My first. And, maybe, last.

I have still 2 packs of it in the fridge which I am intending to use in a MO only beer. If I wouldn't have already bought it, I wouldn't want to use it :D

I Might try adding some CBC 1 from Lallemand to aid with the poor flocculation and sedimentation of 3470. Theoretically, CBC 1 should be almost neutral, so it might work. We will see :)

Optimal growth temp for diastaticus is 30°C.

@Ninoid
Perhaps 34/70 is bad at preventing invaders... Might be worth a shot trying another strain that may work better with a lax sanitation process. Miraculix had success with other strains.

Also if you have any interest in testing for wild yeast you could pick up some LCSM plates :)

Good luck with future brewing!

I think i came across this thread from a search, cant quite remember but its fascinating and i am going to have to read it again.
First time trying this technique. I brewed a lager last week using German pilsner, magnum with citra and el dorado for flavour and aroma. 2 packs of MJ54 cali lager yeast. I could not resist having a look last night 5 days in. There was still a krausen so i thought i might as well try and crop some yeast (starter is going nicely). The sample was already very tasty with no diacetyl or any off flavours. Temp last night was 21c although it did start off at 10c and rise to ambient temps naturally.
Going to leave it 10 days then dry hop, cold crash and fine. This will be my first dry hopped lager so i am really looking forward to it

I'm in the middle of a 4 day cold crash on mine before I bottle. I plan on using the yeast cake for another brew using 2 row, a little crystal 40, and lemon drop hops.

Just moved my latest one (on S-23) over to the "cold" side of the fermentation fridge with an eye to kegging on Friday or Saturday. Gravity only got down to 1.020, leaving it with a slightly malty flavor that the last three didn't have. Not unpleasant, and the late Amarillo hops give it a good nose. Gonna taste even better cold with carbonation. With the weather staying in the mid 70's to 80's will be good to have this one on tap.

IMG_0282.JPG
My second runnings from the Dopplebock have been in the keg for about two weeks. I can't believe how clean and deliciously malty this beer is! I pitched ~64 degrees and fermented at ~72 ambient. What a great beer. Came in at only about 3.5% abv but tastes a lot bigger. The Munich malt really shines! The Dopplebock has been in a keg for about a week. Can't wait to try it! I will definitely be fermenting with this yeast (34/70) at warm temperatures in the future!

View attachment 576355
My second runnings from the Dopplebock have been in the keg for about two weeks. I can't believe how clean and deliciously malty this beer is! I pitched ~64 degrees and fermented at ~72 ambient. What a great beer. Came in at only about 3.5% abv but tastes a lot bigger. The Munich malt really shines! The Dopplebock has been in a keg for about a week. Can't wait to try it! I will definitely be fermenting with this yeast (34/70) at warm temperatures in the future!
I really like this idea about making a session beer out of the second runnings. Unfortunately, I do not have second runnigs (biaib).

View attachment 576355

I did this recently, also with a dopplebock and fermented with K-97. It’s pretty good, though it is super cloudy and won’t clear. I have to admit the partigyle is more work than it sounds.

I did this recently, also with a dopplebock and fermented with K-97. It’s pretty good, though it is super cloudy and won’t clear. I have to admit the partigyle is more work than it sounds.
mine is pretty clear. The picture doesn't do justice with the condensation. I have 2 10 gallon kettles. It only extends the brew day a bit. Just dump first run into first kettle and second runnings into second kettle. Sometimes I do a split batch and sparge into a 20 gallon trash can then split between the two kettles. I love my 60qt mash tun!

Posted pic in WIDFB thread, here it is again. This is the one I fermented on S-23, gravity never came down below 1.020, but it tastes fantastic and is super clear. ABV at 6.3%.
20180624_065151[1].jpg
Fermented at 66 since I had an ale going at the same time. Has none of the fruity esters I was worried about, just a great lager flavor. On force carb now, hope to tap it mid week. Saved the yeast too, if this one carbs up like I think it will, going to brew it again mid-July and submit it to the Fair.

Not a lager but a Kolsch fermented around 20c with wlp029. Crystal clear 6 weeks from brewing. I cold crashed and added gelatin but its not been conditioned in the fridge for more than a week. I cant wait to compare it with the MJ54. I think i used maris otter for this but lost the notes. Only flaw with this beer apart from holding on to any is the lack of head retention/lacing. Not sure why but my last half dozen or so batches have suffered a little.
DSC_0296.JPG

I really like this idea about making a session beer out of the second runnings. Unfortunately, I do not have second runnigs (biaib).

No reason why you can’t have second runnings with BIAB, just a factor of how you organise your initial addition of mash water versus sparging water.

Back