Saison with Safbrew T58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Saison tonight and I have Safbrew T58 yeast. Any suggestions on how I should ferment this? Everyone has heard fermenting Saisons warm-hot, i.e., 70+, can bring out nice flavors. Does anyone have experience using T58?

First off: SafAle T58. It is always helpful to have the lab's data sheet when asking about a yeast.

They recommend 59F-68F. I'd keep it in that range at least until krausen is finished.

I really like T58, but it does not attenuate enough (in my opinion) for a saison. I've used it in a wheat beer fermented in the 80°'s that turned out really good. I also used it once on a strong porter, fermented in the 60°'s, that one ended up way too "thick" and sweet.

I like the yeast and plan on brewing my next batch with it (a pale ale to use up my ingredients). I'm using T-58 just to see how it turns out. It will definitely bring out spicy/peppery notes, which I like.

But like Z-Bob said, I don't think it would make a good saison. I do, however, think it will be tasty. I just wouldn't expect the results to be the same.

What yeast would make a good Saison? This is the yeast that came with the kit but I'm open to going to my LHBS to get a yeast better suited for a Saison.

I haven't yet tasted a homebrewed Saison fermented with Belle which didn't taste like "dry yeast", meaning it's trying, but it just can't reach up to the top shelf. Besides, Belle is a var. Diastaticus, which means you need to take extra care of sanitation and cleaning after it's been used, as it in worst case, can contaminate future batches. For a beer which is this yeast-driven, I'd go with a liquid yeast. Flame on, but I feel like liquids are the way to go if its about a yeast-driven beer.

Use the T58 for some kind of Belgian Ale.

@Smellyglove, I haven't heard of this trait about Belle requiring extra sanitation. I'm curious about this, I don't want to go recommending it to people without knowing such information about it, can you provide some materials/links related to that?

Use the T58 for some kind of Belgian Ale.

@Smellyglove, I haven't heard of this trait about Belle requiring extra sanitation. I'm curious about this, I don't want to go recommending it to people without knowing such information about it, can you provide some materials/links related to that?

I'm lazy. But just google var. diastaticus, and do it from there. Even Lallemand says in their paper that extra sanitation (something like that) is required after using Belle, as it will leave a biofilm (does not say biofilm in the paper, but var. Diastaticus can leave a biofilm). Same goes for Fermentis' BE-134, it's a var. Diastaticus.

"Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus strains are capable of utilizing some types of dextrins. Extra care should be taken to ensure proper cleaning procedures are in place to avoid any cross-contamination with other brews."

from http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/product-details/belle-saison-beer-yeast/

This type of yeast eat the whole lot of what you present to it. It eats very close to everything. It will chew through dextrines even lager yeast can't without blinking.

What yeast would make a good Saison? This is the yeast that came with the kit but I'm open to going to my LHBS to get a yeast better suited for a Saison.

In my experience, I have had fantastic results with WLP565. Typically, I brew this beer in August and let the fermenter sit out on the deck in the summer heat. The last time I brewed it, the internal ferm temp got up to 97F. With the WLP565 it'll dry out and get some amazing spicy and herbal notes at that temp. In my experience, letting the right yeast run really hot is the way to the best results for a Saison. You simply don't get that effect with other yeasts.

I've brewed a saison with Belle Saison. It turned out well. But I haven't compared it to liquid yeast.

I generally concur, though, that liquid yeasts result in superior flavor, in my experience.

T-58 is more for Belgian ales and could work for Saisons, however not the best yeast.

You'll get a good spicy-type character in comparison to other ales which might balance out the beer depending on your recipe

What does the rest of your recipe look like?

This post is a year old, but I recently used white labs french saison and a t-58 together. It was a blend of 90% French Saison to 10% T-58. It came out delicious. On it's own (T-58) probably no good for Saison but the combo is nice since the French Saison is a little flat on flavor on it's own. Just my 2 cents.

Back