New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a Big Mouth with a spigot. I get too much hop debris when I commando, but when I bag the aroma and flavor suffers.

Use a bigger bag.....a 5 gallon paint strainer bag or similar bag made for home brewing, crush the hop pellets, and agitate the fermentor a couple times during the dry hop period.

You may still have the bag get stuck in the spigot when racking though....unless you can tie it off to the lid somehow.

Also...preventing suck back during agitation is hard if you don't have a way to provide a little head pressure with co2.

Now that I think about it....no wonder people don't like bagging their hops....the most ideal fermentor or secondary is a keg which you can shake with head pressure while dry hopping within a suspended bag.

Not sure I helped.

Simple grainbills are the way to go with this style. The focus is the hops so no need to get fancy. You just need a base malt, body builder, and some form of crystal malt for color and sweetness desired. I never add maltodextrin and only add lactose in milkshake style IPAs, sours, or stouts.

a24 is my favorite yeast for the style(most in this thread are probably sick of hearing me talk about my love for it lol). Gives similar peach/nectarine notes but then also provide huge citrus notes too. It’s a blend of two strains, A20 and A04 and you get the best of both ester profiles.

Okay, think I’ll pull a last min swap and give it a go this weekend. Although I really like 1318, I’ve been looking for ways to pull out some of the orange flavors more, so this might be exactly what I’ve been searching for.

What fermentation schedule do you find works best with it?

Okay, think I’ll pull a last min swap and give it a go this weekend. Although I really like 1318, I’ve been looking for ways to pull out some of the orange flavors more, so this might be exactly what I’ve been searching for.

What fermentation schedule do you find works best with it?
I underpitched at about .5mc/ml/*p. I pitch at 68 and then let it free rise to 72 which is typically within first 12 hours. Then I drive it to 74 for 2 days and push 75/76 at the most active fermentation and let it free fall back to around 70/72 until it finishes and cleans up

Use a bigger bag.....a 5 gallon paint strainer bag or similar bag made for home brewing, crush the hop pellets, and agitate the fermentor a couple times during the dry hop period.

You may still have the bag get stuck in the spigot when racking though....unless you can tie it off to the lid somehow.

Also...preventing suck back during agitation is hard if you don't have a way to provide a little head pressure with co2.

Now that I think about it....no wonder people don't like bagging their hops....the most ideal fermentor or secondary is a keg which you can shake with head pressure while dry hopping within a suspended bag.

Not sure I helped.

Yes, those are some good ideas - thanks! Will try a larger bag and crushing the pellets.

I don't think lagers are as hard as many think, but they are more work and require more attention. Pilnsers and Helles are among the hardest, whereas Dunkels and Marzens are fairly easy.

I actually think NEIPAs are super easy to make and make well, too, as long as you have a good handle on controlling/limiting oxygen ingress. It also depends which school you are in. I try to mimic Treehouse and Hill, but I really don't like the Trillium style. I think the difference is more attention on the base beer vs more attention on the hops. I am of the school of thought that an NEIPA still needs to be a decent base beer under all the hops, but many think it should be basically hops juice and the base beer should get out of the way to showcase the hops. Just two different schools of thought.

LowOx brewing has definitely improved my game and I have yet to make a bad or even average lager (hell my first ever lager made it to the GABF as a ProAm thanks to their expertise). However my NEIPAs are like golf...there are times that I feel like I own the style and then it just kicks me in the nuts for no apparent reason and I end up giving most of it away. Granted none of them are BAD...just not up to my standards for what I want out of the style (which could have a lot to do with it). Oddly, I have been having better results ditching some of the LowOx practices for this style (especially spunding).

Really happy with how this one turned out. Simple grain bill of Brewer's 2Row, Golden Promise, and White Wheat hopped with Galaxy and Mosaic and fermented with 1318. Did a 6oz. whirlpool 50/50 Galaxy/Mosaic, 3oz. bio hop on day 2, and 6oz. dry hop after fermentation was done and crashing to 55F. This is one of my most aromatic and hop saturated NEIPA's that I've made to date, and I've been brewing them since 2016. No filter, just the lighting in my kitchen against the fridge.

ax1JPye.jpg

I want to run a question by you folks. I currently have a NEIPA with 1318 going fermenting out. Its in a CF5 and am thinking about racking my next brew on top of the current yeast, once the current batch is kegged. I have not dry hopped yet, but am planning to "bag" them in a stainless hop cannon. Hopefully this will result in clean yeast be left in the cone.

Has anyone done this with a NEIPA? Should I dump the yeast after I rack the current beer and repitch on top of the new wort (which will be another NEIPA)? Or should I leave it in the cone? If I leave it in the cone, I feel like there might not be enough yeast exposed to the new wort.

I am kinda feeling lazy about making another starter from my harvested yeast.

Really happy with how this one turned out. Simple grain bill of Brewer's 2Row, Golden Promise, and White Wheat hopped with Galaxy and Mosaic and fermented with 1318. Did a 6oz. whirlpool 50/50 Galaxy/Mosaic, 3oz. bio hop on day 2, and 6oz. dry hop after fermentation was done and crashing to 55F. This is one of my most aromatic and hop saturated NEIPA's that I've made to date, and I've been brewing them since 2016. No filter, just the lighting in my kitchen against the fridge.

ax1JPye.jpg

Nice! 5 gallons? What day for the 2nd dh - 7 or so?

Looks nice! So is that 15oz of hops in a 5 gal batch? Did you use a spider in the whirlpool or a bag for the dry hops? And are you by chance keeping tabs on your PH? I'm curious to hear about mash and pre/post boil as it relates to the perceived "juiciness" and aroma. I assume that's what you mean by "hop saturated"?

I want to run a question by you folks. I currently have a NEIPA with 1318 going fermenting out. Its in a CF5 and am thinking about racking my next brew on top of the current yeast, once the current batch is kegged. I have not dry hopped yet, but am planning to "bag" them in a stainless hop cannon. Hopefully this will result in clean yeast be left in the cone.

Has anyone done this with a NEIPA? Should I dump the yeast after I rack the current beer and repitch on top of the new wort (which will be another NEIPA)? Or should I leave it in the cone? If I leave it in the cone, I feel like there might not be enough yeast exposed to the new wort.

I am kinda feeling lazy about making another starter from my harvested yeast.

I've repitched harvested yeast with no issues(typically 25-30% of the yeast cake). I do that quite often actually to try to get multiple uses out of my yeast purchases. I only consider making a starter with it if it's been sitting in my fridge for an extended period of time(like several months).

I've also racked onto a full yeast cake(conan yeast) twice with less than stellar results and won't be doing that again. A lot of the popular NEIPA yeasts do much better with an underpitch than a big overpitch.

Do you guys swirl or no swirl?

Since switching to fully attenuated dry hopping and crashing after only 24-36 hours of contact I feel some of the hops are not getting contact with the worth if I don't gently swirl.

I keep about 3psi of pressure during the DH which I figure helps ensure the swirl won't suck back O2.

Thoughts?

Since switching to fully attenuated dry hopping and crashing after only 24-36 hours of contact I feel some of the hops are not getting contact with the worth if I don't gently swirl.

I keep about 3psi of pressure during the DH which I figure helps ensure the swirl won't suck back O2.

Thoughts?

So are you dry hopping just once, 24-36 hours before kegging/bottling? I've been thinking of ditching the bio trans DH and moving toward one after fermentation finishes and/or Day 7, and one 48 hours before bottling.

(Sorry, I know that wasn't your question. I don't have gas/pressure so I can't comment.)

what temperature are you dry hopping at? I've been doing 58F which makes me wonder if the hops are in suspension or rolling around at the bottom of the keg.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
I agitate when dryhoping with gas connected. I can’t drop my crashed yeast out of the FV so I just make sure not to be a brut and resuspend it. If you can drop the yeast than you’re pretty safe

what is the best PET (plastic) carboy for NEIPA fermentation and what do I need to go LODO with it? The alternative is to just buy more kegs and use those...

what is the best PET (plastic) carboy for NEIPA fermentation and what do I need to go LODO with it? The alternative is to just buy more kegs and use those...
The fermonster and it’s likeness is probably your cheapest option. Then buy a solid lid so you can convert it to a closed system with keg posts and floating or stationary dip tube. I know @Loud Brewing posted a parts list some pages back(how rapidly we post in this thread it could be 20 or more back now lol). I like this more than using actual kegs for the fact they are 7 gal capacity so you can yield a true 5 gallon recipe and fill a full corny keg after dryhoping and crashing. With buying parts on line you can probably do it all for roughly $60-$70

Last edited:

The fermonster and it’s likeness is probably your cheapest option. Then buy a solid lid so you can convert it to a closed system with keg posts and floating or stationary dip tube. I know @Loud Brewing posted a parts list some pages back(how rapidly we post in this thread it could be 20 or more back now lol). I like this more than using actual kegs for the fact they are 7 gal capacity so you can yield a true 5 gallon recipe and fill a full corny keg and dryhoping and crashing. With buying parts on line you can probably do it all for roughly $60-$70

Get a spare solid lid as well. When I fermented at 15psi, I cracked a lid, either because of the pressure or because I over-tightened it.

The 7 gal fermonster fits in a 4.4 cubic ft magic chef fridge that can be ordered from Home Depot (link). It needs some door modification, cutting of a shelf, but it is easily done.

If you order the fermentasaurus pressure adapter kit, you can cannibalize the CBDS and the ball lock posts for your fermonster lid. It saved me $10-$15.

This system has improved my NEIPA vastly. It's all thanks to @Dgallo and @Loud Brewing

I underpitched at about .5mc/ml/*p. I pitch at 68 and then let it free rise to 72 which is typically within first 12 hours. Then I drive it to 74 for 2 days and push 75/76 at the most active fermentation and let it free fall back to around 70/72 until it finishes and cleans up

I think in one of your posts you said you make a starter with Dry Hop and then under pitch? Is that correct? I have Dry Hop and London Fog right now and I'm debating what to use. I think I am gonna go Dry Hop. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Get a spare solid lid as well. When I fermented at 15psi, I cracked a lid, either because of the pressure or because I over-tightened it.

The 7 gal fermonster fits in a 4.4 cubic ft magic chef fridge that can be ordered from Home Depot (link). It needs some door modification, cutting of a shelf, but it is easily done.

If you order the fermentasaurus pressure adapter kit, you can cannibalize the CBDS and the ball lock posts for your fermonster lid. It saved me $10-$15.

This system has improved my NEIPA vastly. It's all thanks to @Dgallo and @Loud Brewing

Dude, you are the man! I have been searching for this very info. I want to get one but I was tryna figure out what fridge i should get with it. I don't want to put it in my chest freezer.

Oh shoot... I read this wrong. I am trying to get a fermentation fridge for the fermentasaurus.

I think in one of your posts you said you make a starter with Dry Hop and then under pitch? Is that correct? I have Dry Hop and London Fog right now and I'm debating what to use. I think I am gonna go Dry Hop. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Depends on the age of the pack. If it’s super fresh I won’t need any starter but I do like to active pitch with a very small starter of less than 1l so that I know the yeast are ready to go

Dude, you are the man! I have been searching for this very info. I want to get one but I was tryna figure out what fridge i should get with it. I don't want to put it in my chest freezer.

Oh shoot... I read this wrong. I am trying to get a fermentation fridge for the fermentasaurus.

Attachments

• 20190920_133147.jpg
    20190920_133147.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • 20190920_133242.jpg
    20190920_133242.jpg
    950.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20190920_133250.jpg
    20190920_133250.jpg
    881.9 KB · Views: 74
Just get a free or cheap upright freezer and convert it to a fermentation chamber. Pretty easy just need a temp controller and a little my heat space heater. Done.

Am trying open ferment again look, this time with my house yeast - Conan (Barbarian) that I know super well. I wanna see if it enhances the esters. 24hrs in and I have the coolest looking krausen I have ever seen. Never seen "meringue" krausen before when using a blowoff - so fingers crossed something magical is happening.

View attachment 644003

Am sad to report that my open ferment experiment did not go so well...I must have gotten a wild yeast in the mix either from starter or open fermentor because it turned out phenolic in a bad way. Luckily I hadnt added my dryhops yet so at least I salvaged that much. I would try open ferment again in future but would pitch whole pack of fresh yeast instead.

Alright guys. I wanted to get some opinions on hop combos... I have done a bunch of the Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic, Galaxy NEIPAs. Time to try out some new hops and I have a boatload right now thanks to the HopBox from Yakima Valley.

Some of my fave hop combos that I have had from local breweries in the past year... Galaxy, Citra, and Rakau | Galaxy, Vic Secret, and Enigma | Mosaic, Rakau, Vic Secret, and Citra | Citra, Strata, Vic Secret | Citra, Enigma, Idaho 7, El Dorado

Here goes the list.

Equinox
Simcoe
Citra
El Dorado
Galaxy
Vic Secret
Ella
Medusa
Provoak
Sabro
Zappa
Cashmere
Pekko
Loral
HBC 431
Azacca
Idaho 7
Idaho Gem
Hallertau Blanc

Any help would be appreciated! I wish I had some Rakau!! Thanks!

Last edited:
Alright guys. I wanted to get some opinions on hop combos... I have done a bunch of the Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic, Galaxy NEIPAs. Time to try out some new hops and I have a boatload right now thanks to the HopBox from Yakima Valley.

Some of my fave hop combos that I have had from local breweries in the past year... Galaxy, Citra, and Rakau | Galaxy, Vic Secret, and Enigma | Mosaic, Rakau, Vic Secret, and Citra | Citra, Strata, Vic Secret | Citra, Enigma, Idaho 7, El Dorado

Here goes the list.

Equinox
Simcoe
Citra
El Dorado
Galaxy
Vic Secret
Ella
Medusa
Provoak
Sabro
Zappa
Cashmere
Pekko
Loral
HBC 431
Azacca
Idaho 7
Idaho Gem
Hallertau Blanc

Medusa and cashmere would probably really good. Never thought about the combo before but seeing them on the list. It would be a melon and peach bomb

Hot or cold side? Both?
Medusa is good both and cashmere i feel would be better in the dh. Id be around 2:1 cashmere to Medusa in the whole beer. Medusa was potent and cashmere seems on the more delicate side to me

Last edited:
Some blend of El Dorado, Sabro, Vic Secret would be very Pina Colada like. Heavy on the El Dorado in WP, favor the Vic Secret in the DH. Keep the Sabro to no more than 15% of the Hop bill.

I’ve been really enjoying Simcoe lately. It seems to be very different now than in the past. Stuff I have has very little pine and definitely no cat piss. Almost all Simcoe throughout and then add 20% of either Galaxy or Citra or Azacca to the dry hop would be awesome.

Galaxy/Vic Secret/Ella would be awesome. Ella dominant in DH.

I don’t like Equanot in the dry hop, too much green pepper. Using it hotside seems to eliminate that.

Medusa/Zappa/Sabro could be cool. All have neomexicanus heritage. Again keep the Sabro additions on the low end 15-20% max.

Some blend of El Dorado, Sabro, Vic Secret would be very Pina Colada like. Heavy on the El Dorado in WP, favor the Vic Secret in the DH. Keep the Sabro to no more than 15% of the Hop bill.

I’ve been really enjoying Simcoe lately. It seems to be very different now than in the past. Stuff I have has very little pine and definitely no cat piss. Almost all Simcoe throughout and then add 20% of either Galaxy or Citra or Azacca to the dry hop would be awesome.

Galaxy/Vic Secret/Ella would be awesome. Ella dominant in DH.

I don’t like Equanot in the dry hop, too much green pepper. Using it hotside seems to eliminate that.

Medusa/Zappa/Sabro could be cool. All have neomexicanus heritage. Again keep the Sabro additions on the low end 15-20% max.

Thanks guys! Good stuff.

Here goes the list.

Equinox
Simcoe
Citra
El Dorado
Galaxy
Vic Secret
Ella
Medusa
Provoak
Sabro
Zappa
Cashmere
Pekko
Loral
HBC 431
Azacca
Idaho 7
Idaho Gem
Hallertau Blanc

Idaho 7 and Citra is one of the best blends I've ever done.

Idaho 7 and Citra is one of the best blends I've ever done.

I was going to suggest that as well. I haven’t done the Citra/Idaho 7 combo personally, but I have a done a single hop NEIPA with Idaho 7 and it was awesome solo. You could tell immediately that it would mesh with Citra really well.

You could also add some El Dorado, Simcoe, or Denali to that Citra/Idaho 7 mix for a little more complexity.

Aside from that, I like the idea of Citra/Azacca/Simcoe. I would go with a 50/30/20 ratio. I’ve used a similar combo in the past with good results!

I don’t love Idaho 7, at least the stuff I have. It is incredibly Aromatic that’s for sure, very pungent. For me the Tea like aspect of it is very strong, especially when heavy handed in the dry hop.

A lot of people seem to like using it hotside which seems to reduce that.

If you haven’t tried adding some nugget to your whirlpools and dry hops I’d highly highly recommend it.

My most recent! New grainbill, used 1318 for the first time in awhile, and hopped with Mosaic/Simcoe/Amarillo.

It’s been in the keg 1 day, 13 days since brewday.

Attachments

• 2FE40170-C860-4426-893D-1179E790B97E.jpeg
    2FE40170-C860-4426-893D-1179E790B97E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
  • 4550D219-6E4B-4544-8B00-92C6F28E887A.jpeg
    4550D219-6E4B-4544-8B00-92C6F28E887A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
i guess it's a to each their own thing as usual. i've used idaho 7 hop hash in the whirlpool with others and like it but it wasn't super distinctive.

do you like nugget nectar? i hate that beer and it is supposed to have a lot of nugget. nugget has a super pungent nice aroma in the bag though. i'd try it in the whirlpool but not dryhop i think.

I don’t love Idaho 7, at least the stuff I have. It is incredibly Aromatic that’s for sure, very pungent. For me the Tea like aspect of it is very strong, especially when heavy handed in the dry hop.

A lot of people seem to like using it hotside which seems to reduce that.

If you haven’t tried adding some nugget to your whirlpools and dry hops I’d highly highly recommend it.

Latest posts

Back