Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having trouble with my tilt and fermentrack. My tilt and Fermentrack have been working fine for almost a year. Last brew I noticed my gravity's were way off. it was showing the starting gravity at .085. I checked my phone tilt app and it showed the correct 1.052 gravity. I tried putting new calibration points into fermentrack and tilt directly but nothing changed.
I un assigned my tilt and re-installed and started a new fermentation. Now the tilt was not showing any numbers. It is assigned to the proper fermentation chamber ( 0nly have one). I have since un-assigned/deleted the tilt and re-installed with the same outcome. I can still get accurate reading thru my tilt app but for some reason the Raspberry (unoB3) does not seem to pick it up anymore. Any help would be appreciated. I know very little about programing and can follow simple programing instruction ( like the step by step fermentrack installation).
Thanks

I have tiltbridge and fermentrack running. I am able to add tiltbridge to fermentrack, but i can’t get it to display the SG in fermentrack. I have SG output in three tiltbridge itself and on the tiltbridge browser page. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? It was working previously. I have updated both fermentrack and tiltbridge today to latest versions.

I had previously used Fermentrack via a raspberry pi. I just recently purchased and started running a home server and I had the grand idea of putting fermentrack on a VM. The VM is running Ubuntu and I was able to install fermentrack fine. It was even able to pick up the esp8266 controller that I have on my network.

However, I could not get any temperature readings from the controller. A debug of the connection showed that the controller was experiencing DNS issues.

Notice the initial add of the controller had this info:
Device Address Board Branch Version Revision
esp8662052.local ESP8266 legacy 0.2.4 0.11

Debugging of the connection:
Tests Performed
Test Parameter Pass/Fail Output
Device Status Test active Passed Device active & managed by Circus
DNS Lookup Test esp8662052.local Failed No DNS response
Cached IP Test Failed Unavailable

Error log:
Apr 05 2020 23:23:03 Connection type WiFi selected. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Apr 05 2020 23:23:03 Unable to resolve hostname esp8662052.local. Exiting.

It looks like I might need to focus on the ESP? Can anyone pinpoint what steps I should take next?

One of my bigger concerns is the inability to connect the ESP via serial if I had to.

Thank you!!!!

Last edited:
Having trouble with my tilt and fermentrack. My tilt and Fermentrack have been working fine for almost a year. Last brew I noticed my gravity's were way off. it was showing the starting gravity at .085. I checked my phone tilt app and it showed the correct 1.052 gravity. I tried putting new calibration points into fermentrack and tilt directly but nothing changed.
I un assigned my tilt and re-installed and started a new fermentation. Now the tilt was not showing any numbers. It is assigned to the proper fermentation chamber ( 0nly have one). I have since un-assigned/deleted the tilt and re-installed with the same outcome. I can still get accurate reading thru my tilt app but for some reason the Raspberry (unoB3) does not seem to pick it up anymore. Any help would be appreciated. I know very little about programing and can follow simple programing instruction ( like the step by step fermentrack installation).
Thanks

Are you on the most recent (dev) version of Fermentrack? To check, click the "gear" in the upper right, then click "Update from GitHub"

I have tiltbridge and fermentrack running. I am able to add tiltbridge to fermentrack, but i can’t get it to display the SG in fermentrack. I have SG output in three tiltbridge itself and on the tiltbridge browser page. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? It was working previously. I have updated both fermentrack and tiltbridge today to latest versions.

There's a bug I introduced in the beta firmware which I didn't realize had made its way into the wild. Fixing it isn't going to be the easiest thing though, as we're officially out of space. Let me poke at this for a bit...

I had previously used Fermentrack via a raspberry pi. I just recently purchased and started running a home server and I had the grand idea of putting fermentrack on a VM. The VM is running Ubuntu and I was able to install fermentrack fine. It was even able to pick up the esp8266 controller that I have on my network.
DNS Lookup Test esp8662052.local Failed No DNS response
Apr 05 2020 23:23:03 Unable to resolve hostname esp8662052.local. Exiting.

That's interesting - The fact that you say it was able to pick up the ESP8266 controller (presumably using the guided setup) would imply that it is getting mDNS responses, but the "Unable to resolve hostname esp8662052.local" line in your logs would imply that it is not (as does the "No DNS Response" line). Did you change anything between when setup occurred and now? How is the VM networked?

You could always replace the mDNS address with the IP address of the controller. I would recommend assigning a static IP to the controller in that case (via static DHCP assignment would be my recommendation).

That's interesting - The fact that you say it was able to pick up the ESP8266 controller (presumably using the guided setup) would imply that it is getting mDNS responses, but the "Unable to resolve hostname esp8662052.local" line in your logs would imply that it is not (as does the "No DNS Response" line). Did you change anything between when setup occurred and now? How is the VM networked?

You could always replace the mDNS address with the IP address of the controller. I would recommend assigning a static IP to the controller in that case (via static DHCP assignment would be my recommendation).

Good morning. The ESP8266 was set up with my previous Pi installation of Fermentrack. At that time, I did give the controller a static ip of x.x.x.80. I was able to see it on my network while I posting my message. I then installed Fermentrack on the Ubuntu VM and used the setup guide to add it.

Replacing the mDNS address with the IP address fixed my problem.

This was absolutely one of those DUH moments. I should have tried that, but I was too afraid to reset/mess up the ESP8266 as I have no way to reflash it serially.

I have a second question now that this is back up and running. Considering that I am using an ESP8266 for temperature monitoring only...what would my best approach be to tie fermentrack to Brewfather? If I use the Brewfather push target, I can only choose a gravity sensor which I do not have.
*Also, fyi...under the Brewfather push target you have the text "To set up Brewer's Friend integration".

This was absolutely one of those DUH moments. I should have tried that, but I was too afraid to reset/mess up the ESP8266 as I have no way to reflash it serially.

http://www.brewflasher.com/

:)

I have a second question now that this is back up and running. Considering that I am using an ESP8266 for temperature monitoring only...what would my best approach be to tie fermentrack to Brewfather? If I use the Brewfather push target, I can only choose a gravity sensor which I do not have.
*Also, fyi...under the Brewfather push target you have the text "To set up Brewer's Friend integration".

What do you want pushed to Brewfather? I built out gravity support, because that's what I figured people wanted (to push gravity data).

The world works in mysterious ways. WOW. Thank you!

What do you want pushed to Brewfather? I built out gravity support, because that's what I figured people wanted (to push gravity data).
Right now all I have is an inkbird to control fermentation temps. My esp probe is literally taped to my fermenter :(, so just temps from a sensor right now.

Eventually I plan on either getting a Tilt or making an iSpindle for gravity purposes and also enabling fermentation control right from the controller/fermentrack. I've just been putting it off and putting it off.

Is there a way to pull the temp logs from another raspberry pi running BrewPi and then chart them?

May I ask why one would do this versus simply connecting to the BrewPi host and letting it drive the temperature plots?
Anyway...one would fetch the .csv file from the remote folder of the running BrewPi task and format the data into a plot...

Cheers!

May I ask why one would do this versus simply connecting to the BrewPi host and letting it drive the temperature plots?
Anyway...one would fetch the .csv file from the remote folder of the running BrewPi task and format the data into a plot...

Cheers!
I may be going about this wrong, new to Fermntrack, I have two raspberry pis, one running CraftBrewPi 3, sorry for the confusion, and the other Fermntrack, where do I configure the Fermntrack pi to talk to the CraftBrewPi 3? Can Fermntrack work with CraftBrewPi?

Last edited:
Deric,

"Edit again: Figured it out! Just had to search/read a bit more."

I have this same problem "Controller Response Test Fails". Looked through previous posts for a solution but was unsuccessful. Everything seems to function, used it for two brews without any problems.

Would you please elaborate on your solution?

My problem persisted and the project got shelved as I was busy at work. Stuck at home now so got back to it...

Ended up doing a fresh Raspbian install and couldn't get the ESP8266 to connect to wifi. Tried to reflash a couple of times with no luck... Tried a new ESP8266 (different version than the D1 Mini clone I was using before) and everything worked great. Been testing on the bench overnight and it seems to be working perfectly. Still no idea what my previous issue was.

Now time to build a proper enclosure. Need to order a 5v power supply and decide if I need and LCD or not...

:mug:

[...] Can Fermntrack work with CraftBrewPi?

hahahaha! Paging @Thorrak :D

I have no idea what "work with CraftBrewPi" might entail as I don't know what CraftBrewPi is capable of doing wrt fermentation chamber monitoring/control or what types of inputs it can accept. But it sounds like a new feature/function for Fermentrack...

Cheers!

I may be going about this wrong, new to Fermntrack, I have two raspberry pis, one running CraftBrewPi 3, sorry for the confusion, and the other Fermntrack, where do I configure the Fermntrack pi to talk to the CraftBrewPi 3? Can Fermntrack work with CraftBrewPi?

hahahaha! Paging @Thorrak :D

I have no idea what "work with CraftBrewPi" might entail as I don't know what CraftBrewPi is capable of doing wrt fermentation chamber monitoring/control or what types of inputs it can accept. But it sounds like a new feature/function for Fermentrack...

Cheers!

What @day_trippr said. :)

I don't use CraftBeerPi, so I can't really speak to it. I recall it being useful for brewing (as in - the actual brew part) but don't know anything about what it does/doesn't do from a fermentation perspective.

CraftBrewPi and Fermentrack are two different animals. CBP is a brewery controller that turns on pumps, switches, and other gizmos whereas Fermentrack controls the tempt. of a fridge with a few other bells and whistles thrown in. I think CBP has an add on to control fermentation temps but I'm not sure.

I have a question about cold crashing, it seems like it would be more effective to just let my fridge run during a cold crash, but it still cycles on and off, is there a way to get it to just stay on, or a setting that helps it crash faster?

upload_2020-4-10_12-8-22.png

also @Thorrak it would be great to be able to just send the beer temp sensor data to brewfather, I don't have a tilt but logging the temp into brewfather would be great.

Thanks! been using fermentrack for years it seems like, love how stable it's been, great work!

Edit: Did want to mention that I just recently reset everything to default values for the control constants, think I might've had some funky stuff in there from brew-pi days.

Last edited:
Update - I just added a handful of environment tests to hopefully help debug any remaining Tilt bluetooth connection issues. To find/run these tests, update to the latest dev branch and do the following:
  1. Select the Tilt you have set up and go to its dashboard
  2. Click your device's name in the menu bar at the top and select "Manage Sensor"
  3. Most of the way down the page, you'll see a header that reads "Troubleshoot Tilt Connection". Click the link in the text after that header to launch the tests
Once the tests finish, they'll report what environmental issues (if any) have been detected.

I have a question about cold crashing, it seems like it would be more effective to just let my fridge run during a cold crash, but it still cycles on and off, is there a way to get it to just stay on, or a setting that helps it crash faster?[...]

If you are saying even under its own control - Fermentrack out of the picture - your fridge cycles on the way to a colder setting, there's nothing Fermentrack is going to be able to do to change that in a positive manner. It's likely an efficiency thing - one of my three brewery fridges does the same thing while the other two only pause for periodic defrost cycles. The cycler is the newest of the lot...

Cheers!

If you are saying even under its own control - Fermentrack out of the picture - your fridge cycles on the way to a colder setting, there's nothing Fermentrack is going to be able to do to change that in a positive manner. It's likely an efficiency thing - one of my three brewery fridges does the same thing while the other two only pause for periodic defrost cycles. The cycler is the newest of the lot...

Cheers!

Oh it's not the fridge cycling itself. So the system is turning the relay on and off. Sorry that wording was confusing.

Just got my farmentrack running in my garage fridge but it looks from the relay LEDs that both the heating and cooling are on at the same time.

Anyone else experienced this and got a fix?

alas that took my yeast starter to a big old 25oC rather than 10 :O

is it possible one needs to be inverted and one not inverted?

So this is the readout currently trying to get a fridge temp set at 10oC
A - was the period where it seemed both heater and cooler were fighting and it seemed to overlap when both were on
B - was after the suggestion to invert both - this didnt go too well
C - was changing just the cooler to inverted
D - was setting both back to inverted (i think i was panicking a bit)

after that i set both back to inverted to just try and get the temp down and see what happens

upload_2020-4-13_9-28-0.png

**EDIT**
Turns out after a lot of fault finding - i made a royal mess of it.
I had the assigned pins the wrong way round and both should have been inverted.
This was giving a false positive with the results where, when the software thought it was heating, what it was really doing was turning off the cooling. Where the software thought it was idling, it actually had both freezer and heater on at the same time and the freezer was more powerful.

Last edited:
OK i may have panicked needlessly - i think the issue is that the heater and freezer are both a bit too powerful so when there isn't a buffer (like 40L of beer) the heating and cooling actions overlap.

The pilsner is in now and everything seems to be operating as expected - i just hope the yeast survived a night at 24oC!

Thorak followed your suggestion and updated from github to the latest version and then ran the Tilt Debug. I found that libluetooth-Dev was not installed or incorrect. I was able to get that corrected. I aslo found PY Buez was running version.22 and aioblescan was on version 0.2.4. I ran the update/install python script. This was not able to correct the outdated version. I have copied the install log.
I guess I need to update the the pip from 19.0.1 to 20.0.2. I have not figured out how to do that yet. Any suggestions ( I am very very much a novice at programming/python).

-installing Python packages from requirements.txt
::: Waiting 1 second for Fermentrack to send updates if triggered from the web...
::: Stopping circus...
::: Updating requirements via pip3...
::: Running manage.py migrate...
::: Running manage.py collectstatic...
::: Relaunching circus...
::: Complete!
ngo<1.12,>=1.11 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 1)) (1.11.29)
Requirement already up-to-date: configobj in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 2)) (5.0.6)
Requirement already up-to-date: pytz in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 4)) (2019.3)
Requirement already up-to-date: raven in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 5)) (6.10.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: django-constance[database] in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 6)) (2.6.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: GitPython in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 7)) (3.1.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: zeroconf in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 8)) (0.25.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 9)) (0.16.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: chaussette in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 11)) (1.3.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: huey>=2.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 12)) (2.2.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: pid in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 13)) (3.0.3)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyserial in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 14)) (3.4)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyudev in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 16)) (0.22.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: requests in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 17)) (2.23.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: esptool in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 19)) (2.8)
Requirement already up-to-date: packaging~=17.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 20)) (17.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: redis==3.4.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 23)) (3.4.1)
Collecting PyBluez==0.23 (from -r requirements.txt (line 24))
Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/pack...65df65a532165fdf6ff90d0ed/PyBluez-0.23.tar.gz
Collecting aioblescan==0.2.6 (from -r requirements.txt (line 25))
Using cached https://www.piwheels.org/simple/aioblescan/aioblescan-0.2.6-py3-none-any.whl
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: six in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from configobj->-r requirements.txt (line 2)) (1.12.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: django-picklefield; extra == "database" in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from django-constance[database]->-r requirements.txt (line 6)) (2.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: gitdb<5,>=4.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from GitPython->-r requirements.txt (line 7)) (4.0.2)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: ifaddr in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from zeroconf->-r requirements.txt (line 8)) (0.1.6)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: tornado<5.0,>=3.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 9)) (4.5.3)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: psutil in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 9)) (5.5.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyzmq>=17.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 9)) (18.1.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: urllib3!=1.25.0,!=1.25.1,<1.26,>=1.21.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 17)) (1.24.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: idna<3,>=2.5 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 17)) (2.8)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: certifi>=2017.4.17 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 17)) (2018.11.29)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: chardet<4,>=3.0.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 17)) (3.0.4)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyaes in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from esptool->-r requirements.txt (line 19)) (1.6.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: ecdsa in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from esptool->-r requirements.txt (line 19)) (0.13)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyparsing>=2.0.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from packaging~=17.1->-r requirements.txt (line 20)) (2.4.7)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: smmap<4,>=3.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from gitdb<5,>=4.0.1->GitPython->-r requirements.txt (line 7)) (3.0.1)
Error checking for conflicts.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2897, in _dep_map
return self.__dep_map
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2691, in __getattr__
raise AttributeError(attr)
AttributeError: _DistInfoDistribution__dep_map
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2888, in _parsed_pkg_info
return self._pkg_info
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2691, in __getattr__
AttributeError: _pkg_info
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/install.py", line 503, in _warn_about_conflicts
package_set, _dep_info = check_install_conflicts(to_install)
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/check.py", line 108, in check_install_conflicts
package_set, _ = create_package_set_from_installed()
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/check.py", line 47, in create_package_set_from_installed
package_set[name] = PackageDetails(dist.version, dist.requires())
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2635, in requires
dm = self._dep_map
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2899, in _dep_map
self.__dep_map = self._compute_dependencies()
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2908, in _compute_dependencies
for req in self._parsed_pkg_info.get_all('Requires-Dist') or []:
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2890, in _parsed_pkg_info
metadata = self.get_metadata(self.PKG_INFO)
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1410, in get_metadata
value = self._get(self._fn(self.egg_info, name))
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1522, in _get
with open(path, 'rb') as stream:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/PyBluez-0.22.dist-info/METADATA'
Installing collected packages: PyBluez, aioblescan
Found existing installation: PyBluez 0.22
Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/PyBluez-0.22.dist-info/RECORD'
You are using pip version 19.0.1, however version 20.0.2 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
Operations to perform:
Apply all migrations: admin, app, auth, contenttypes, database, external_push, firmware_flash, gravity, sessions
Running migrations:
No migrations to apply.
ok
ok

Thorak followed your suggestion and updated from github to the latest version and then ran the Tilt Debug. I found that libluetooth-Dev was not installed or incorrect. I was able to get that corrected. I aslo found PY Buez was running version.22 and aioblescan was on version 0.2.4. I ran the update/install python script. This was not able to correct the outdated version. I have copied the install log.
I guess I need to update the the pip from 19.0.1 to 20.0.2. I have not figured out how to do that yet. Any suggestions ( I am very very much a novice at programming/python).

-installing Python packages from requirements.txt
::: Waiting 1 second for Fermentrack to send updates if triggered from the web...
ngo<1.12,>=1.11 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 1)) (1.11.29)
Requirement already up-to-date: configobj in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 2)) (5.0.6)
Requirement already up-to-date: pytz in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 4)) (2019.3)
Requirement already up-to-date: raven in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 5)) (6.10.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: django-constance[database] in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 6)) (2.6.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: GitPython in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 7)) (3.1.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: zeroconf in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 8)) (0.25.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 9)) (0.16.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: chaussette in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 11)) (1.3.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: huey>=2.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 12)) (2.2.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: pid in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 13)) (3.0.3)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyserial in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 14)) (3.4)
Requirement already up-to-date: pyudev in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 16)) (0.22.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: requests in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 17)) (2.23.0)
Requirement already up-to-date: esptool in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 19)) (2.8)
Requirement already up-to-date: packaging~=17.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 20)) (17.1)
Requirement already up-to-date: redis==3.4.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 23)) (3.4.1)
Collecting PyBluez==0.23 (from -r requirements.txt (line 24))
Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/pack...65df65a532165fdf6ff90d0ed/PyBluez-0.23.tar.gz
Collecting aioblescan==0.2.6 (from -r requirements.txt (line 25))
Using cached https://www.piwheels.org/simple/aioblescan/aioblescan-0.2.6-py3-none-any.whl
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: six in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from configobj->-r requirements.txt (line 2)) (1.12.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: django-picklefield; extra == "database" in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from django-constance[database]->-r requirements.txt (line 6)) (2.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: gitdb<5,>=4.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from GitPython->-r requirements.txt (line 7)) (4.0.2)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: ifaddr in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from zeroconf->-r requirements.txt (line 8)) (0.1.6)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: tornado<5.0,>=3.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 9)) (4.5.3)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: psutil in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 9)) (5.5.0)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyzmq>=17.0 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from circus<0.17.0,>=0.16.0->-r requirements.txt (line 9)) (18.1.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: urllib3!=1.25.0,!=1.25.1,<1.26,>=1.21.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 17)) (1.24.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: idna<3,>=2.5 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 17)) (2.8)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: certifi>=2017.4.17 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 17)) (2018.11.29)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: chardet<4,>=3.0.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from requests->-r requirements.txt (line 17)) (3.0.4)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyaes in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from esptool->-r requirements.txt (line 19)) (1.6.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: ecdsa in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from esptool->-r requirements.txt (line 19)) (0.13)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pyparsing>=2.0.2 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from packaging~=17.1->-r requirements.txt (line 20)) (2.4.7)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: smmap<4,>=3.0.1 in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from gitdb<5,>=4.0.1->GitPython->-r requirements.txt (line 7)) (3.0.1)
Error checking for conflicts.
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2897, in _dep_map
return self.__dep_map
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2888, in _parsed_pkg_info
return self._pkg_info
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/install.py", line 503, in _warn_about_conflicts
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/check.py", line 108, in check_install_conflicts
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/check.py", line 47, in create_package_set_from_installed
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2635, in requires
dm = self._dep_map
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2899, in _dep_map
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2908, in _compute_dependencies
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2890, in _parsed_pkg_info
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1410, in get_metadata
value = self._get(self._fn(self.egg_info, name))
File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1522, in _get
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/PyBluez-0.22.dist-info/METADATA'
Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/PyBluez-0.22.dist-info/RECORD'
You are using pip version 19.0.1, however version 20.0.2 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
Operations to perform:
Apply all migrations: admin, app, auth, contenttypes, database, external_push, firmware_flash, gravity, sessions
Running migrations:
No migrations to apply.
ok
ok

I just pushed a change to dev which adds an option that should resolve this. Upgrade to the latest dev version of Fermentrack then run the fix python packages script on the Tilt debug page and you should be good!

Update

I've pushed out a LOT of changes to the dev branch over the past few days. Most notable is an upgrade from Django 1.11 (which went EOL at the start of the month) to Django 3.0 (which goes EOL in a year). This is something that must happen - I don't want to run the risk of Fermentrack becoming a security risk because of old packages - but I have seen an uptick in errors coming through sentry that relate to the enforcement of foreign key checks that was added in Django 2.0.

If you happen to get any error messages when upgrading, or otherwise experience any post-upgrade weirdness please reach out and let me know. I'm currently testing solutions to a problem that doesn't impact any of my Fermentrack builds, which is always a difficult one!

I forced the github dev update and then re-ran Python . I still have the older versions of Pybuez .22 and aiolescan 0.2.4 installed. Here are my logs. Thanks again for all the work you do on this. Let me know if you need any other logs.

: Re-installing Python packages from requirements.txt

Requirement already up-to-date: zeroconf in /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 8)) (0.25.1)

Collecting PyBluez==0.23

Using cached PyBluez-0.23.tar.gz (97 kB)

Collecting aioblescan==0.2.6

Using cached https://www.piwheels.org/simple/aioblescan/aioblescan-0.2.6-py3-none-any.whl (22 kB)

ERROR: Error checking for conflicts.

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3021, in _dep_map

return self.__dep_map

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2815, in __getattr__

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3012, in _parsed_pkg_info

return self._pkg_info

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2815, in __getattr__

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/install.py", line 517, in _warn_about_conflicts

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/check.py", line 114, in check_install_conflicts

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/check.py", line 53, in create_package_set_from_installed

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2736, in requires

dm = self._dep_map

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3023, in _dep_map

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3032, in _compute_dependencies

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3014, in _parsed_pkg_info

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1420, in get_metadata

value = self._get(path)

File "/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1616, in _get

Attempting uninstall: PyBluez

ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/PyBluez-0.22.dist-info/RECORD'

Operations to perform:

Running migrations:

No migrations to apply.

ok

ok

For anyone who is having any issues with the latest Fermentrack release, I've created a script that can be run to fix your environment and hopefully get things back to normal. This also has the knock-on impact of fixing any package-related issues that could potentially be preventing the Tilt Hydrometer bluetooth support from working as expected.

To run this script, log into your Raspberry Pi as the pi user using SSH, and run the following command:
curl -L "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thorrak/fermentrack-tools/master/fix-environment.sh" | sudo bash

This should take care of all your problems. Let me know if it does - I ran this on my local Pi and it worked, but it also was working beforehand so I can't guarantee the script fixes everything.

WARNING - This command is only designed for Fermentrack installations that were installed using the original install script into the default locations and with the default fermentrack user. I'm guessing this is 95%+ of users, but if you've changed the install paths/installed on another OS/what have you, the script probably won't work and could possibly delete something.

So really not sure what is going on but ran the above curl link .
get to a point where it says
enabling python to query bluetooth without being root
switching to the fermentrac user and doing all the other bits...
stopping circus
ok
Green Cursor.

Stops here and does nothing else. Still have the old version of Pybuez .22 and aiolescan 0.2.4

So really not sure what is going on but ran the above curl link .
get to a point where it says
enabling python to query bluetooth without being root
switching to the fermentrac user and doing all the other bits...
stopping circus
ok
Green Cursor.

Stops here and does nothing else. Still have the old version of Pybuez .22 and aiolescan 0.2.4

That's interesting - does it not print the next line? ("Upgrading pip") It sounds like it's just randomly stopping. Very strange.

Make sure your pi's disk isn't full, restart the pi, and try again.

Thorrak thanks for the updates but I'm getting an error when I click update from github in the settings page. Detail below but my question will be, should I just run the script.

Cheers,

GitCommandError at /upgrade/
Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: git fetch -v origin
stderr: 'error: object file .git/objects/f4/45b921d94f95b3ff4217fa2a4651a7b26ab6dd is empty
error: object file .git/objects/f4/45b921d94f95b3ff4217fa2a4651a7b26ab6dd is empty
fatal: loose object f445b921d94f95b3ff4217fa2a4651a7b26ab6dd (stored in .git/objects/f4/45b921d94f95b3ff4217fa2a4651a7b26ab6dd) is corrupt
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly'
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://my.internal.ip.address/upgrade/
Django Version: 1.11.28
Exception Type: GitCommandError
Exception Value:
Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: git fetch -v origin
stderr: 'error: object file .git/objects/f4/45b921d94f95b3ff4217fa2a4651a7b26ab6dd is empty
error: object file .git/objects/f4/45b921d94f95b3ff4217fa2a4651a7b26ab6dd is empty
fatal: loose object f445b921d94f95b3ff4217fa2a4651a7b26ab6dd (stored in .git/objects/f4/45b921d94f95b3ff4217fa2a4651a7b26ab6dd) is corrupt
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly'

Exception Location: /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/git/cmd.py in wait, line 408
Python Executable: /home/fermentrack/venv/bin/python3
Python Version: 3.5.3
Python Path:
['/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/git/ext/gitdb',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/bin',
'/home/fermentrack/fermentrack',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages',
'/usr/lib/python35.zip',
'/usr/lib/python3.5',
'/usr/lib/python3.5/plat-x86_64-linux-gnu',
'/usr/lib/python3.5/lib-dynload',
'.',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/gitdb/ext/smmap']

Server time: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 06:54:37 +0000

Bigdaddyale said:
Bueller Bueller? I am surprised at the lack of interest in this offer. I have to believe it's a problem with the link that nobody wants to click on. Whatever,

I think what you’re doing is awesome, and would be perfect for a newcomer to the project. I clicked the link and thought of saying , “hey”, but I have two soldered boards in reserve already. I don’t want a chance to take (win) something someone else could use.

My RPI seems to have plenty of free space. Maybe I just need to wipe it clean and start all over . Still not sure how to run in elevated sudo
Last login: Mon Apr 20 21:39:58 2020

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/root 30G 1.9G 27G 7% /

devtmpfs 459M 0 459M 0% /dev

tmpfs 464M 0 464M 0% /dev/shm

tmpfs 464M 6.2M 457M 2% /run

tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock

tmpfs 464M 0 464M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup

/dev/mmcblk0p1 44M 23M 21M 52% /boot

tmpfs 93M 0 93M 0% /run/user/1000

Thorax thanks for working with me on this . I decided to just re-install fermentrack.
Everything seems to be working fine. I have not run a fermentation profile yet but the tilt is registering and it is the correct gravity and temp.

Hi Thorrak, another person for whom the most recent update broke Fermentrack (502 bad gateway). I tried the fix-it script and got the following output:
Code:
curl -L "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thorrak/fermentrack-tools/master/fix-environment.sh" | sudo bash
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  5342  100  5342    0     0  53959      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 54510
::: Verifying free disk space...

::: Checking for Internet connection:
::: Internet connection Success!

::: Reinstalling dependencies using apt-get
::: apt is updated - Triggering install of all packages.
::: Apt-packages reinstalled successfully.

::: Making sure everything is owned by fermentrack

::: Enabling python to query bluetooth without being root
::: Switching to the Fermentrack user and doing all the other bits...
Stopping Circus
  File "/home/fermentrack/venv/bin/circusctl", line 7, in <module>
    from circus.circusctl import main
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'circus'
Upgrading pip
  File "/home/fermentrack/venv/bin/pip3", line 7, in <module>
    from pip import main
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pip'
Fetching, resetting, and pulling from git...
Fetching origin
HEAD is now at f801053 Setting DJANGO_ALLOW_ASYNC_UNSAFE for calls from tilt_monitor_aio.py (Fixes #456)
Already up to date.
Re-installing Python packages from requirements.txt via pip3
    from pip import main
Running manage.py migrate/fix_sqlite_for_django_2/collectstatic...
  File "manage.py", line 4, in <module>
    from django.db import IntegrityError
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'django'
Relaunching circus...

Done! Exiting.

Last edited:
Hi Thorrak, another person for whom the most recent update broke Fermentrack (502 bad gateway). I tried the fix-it script and got the following output:
Code:
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  5342  100  5342    0     0  53959      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 54510
::: Verifying free disk space...

::: Checking for Internet connection:
::: Internet connection Success!

::: Reinstalling dependencies using apt-get
::: apt is updated - Triggering install of all packages.
::: Apt-packages reinstalled successfully.

::: Making sure everything is owned by fermentrack

::: Enabling python to query bluetooth without being root
::: Switching to the Fermentrack user and doing all the other bits...
Stopping Circus
Upgrading pip
    from pip import main
Fetching, resetting, and pulling from git...
Fetching origin
HEAD is now at f801053 Setting DJANGO_ALLOW_ASYNC_UNSAFE for calls from tilt_monitor_aio.py (Fixes #456)
Already up to date.
Re-installing Python packages from requirements.txt via pip3
    from pip import main
Running manage.py migrate/fix_sqlite_for_django_2/collectstatic...
Relaunching circus...

Done! Exiting.

What version of Raspbian are you running?

If it’s stretch, then I should have a fix for the issue before I head to sleep tonight.

Back