Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm seeing the same too - I think the script is having a hard time reading those values from the controller - for some reason - doing my best to figure out why.

Edit:

Found, and fixed, the issue - and have put up a PR on GitHub.

Edit again:

Merged with Dev
It's installed and running a new test no, thanks 4 a fast fix^^

Heads up - firmware flashing within Fermentrack will stop working for a bit pending a new code release. I updated the firmware list on Fermentrack.com to a new version of the model in order to add support for flashing bootloaders & otadata partitions to ESP32 devices. This should hopefully resolve most of the issues that have nagged TiltBridge since its release.

I'm anticipating the revised code will be released to dev later tonight, and master soon thereafter (assuming testing goes well)

Update - The new firmware flashing code has been released to both dev and master. If you need to flash something, update your Fermentrack install. :)

Separately, just FYI for anyone following along - I also did a complete test install of Fermentrack as part of testing this - everything worked fine under the Feb 2020 release of Buster Lite. Hopefully the updates to master helped resolve any of the issues that people were encountering previously.

I just happened to try flashing an ESP32 at about the exact time you were making the upgrade. Just my luck. I'll worry about that later.

Main problem: After I upgraded Fermentrack tonight, I started running into all sorts of noob problems. Right now, I can't get Pins 2 and 10 to find the temperature sensors, and both the heat and cool relays are on, except that I'm getting 0 voltage from the output of the heat relay (could be toast). The temperature sensors show 4.9v, but won't connect to pins 2 or 10. The Udev Availability Test output shows failed and the message is "pyudev is not available, or isn't loaded". I'm running Buster. Here's what I have tried so far:
Reset the EEPROM
Reflash the Arduino
Re-add the Arduino with Add a New Temp Controller
I even rebooted the RPi.
The errors I see on the stderr page are:
Error 8: Cannot assign device type 1 to hardware 1
Error 3: Device definition update specification is invalid

I think the relay is at least half dead. Can't figure out the temp sensors. Any ideas?

I just happened to try flashing an ESP32 at about the exact time you were making the upgrade. Just my luck. I'll worry about that later.

Main problem: After I upgraded Fermentrack tonight, I started running into all sorts of noob problems. Right now, I can't get Pins 2 and 10 to find the temperature sensors, and both the heat and cool relays are on, except that I'm getting 0 voltage from the output of the heat relay (could be toast). The temperature sensors show 4.9v, but won't connect to pins 2 or 10. The Udev Availability Test output shows failed and the message is "pyudev is not available, or isn't loaded". I'm running Buster. Here's what I have tried so far:
Reset the EEPROM
Reflash the Arduino
Re-add the Arduino with Add a New Temp Controller
I even rebooted the RPi.
The errors I see on the stderr page are:
Error 8: Cannot assign device type 1 to hardware 1
Error 3: Device definition update specification is invalid

I think the relay is at least half dead. Can't figure out the temp sensors. Any ideas?

What hardware are you running? Arduino?

What firmware are you running? If Arduino hardware, @LBussy ‘s BrewPi Remix or the original BrewPi Arduino firmware?

Is there any need to update the firmware for the Arduino - I last flashed mine a couple of years ago - and everything has worked fine since then.

Yes. And master as well. You should be able to update from the “gear” icon in the upper right.
@Thorrak

I ran the Fermentrack dev update and still not seeing the Tilt. I then followed the bluez update you posted on the Wifi BrewPi thread for @garzlok 's issue. At restart I got one reading update and then Fermentrack show's the Tilt's signal strength at 0 (the rasp pi is sitting on-top of my fermentation mini-fridge). The tilt--stderr.log looks very similar to the other's shown, except after I'm seeing "ERROR:tilt:list index out of range" multiple times.

Edit: On a whim I restarted my Pi this morning and now am seeing readings. Didn’t make any changes, but not complaining.

Last edited:
Cool. I think I might have an idea of what is going on - let me take a look.
I'm playing around again with this tonight. The only thing I haven't tried yet is selecting the three radio buttons that warn me against Uninstalling Device. Would a reinstall of the Arduino do anything? Fermentrack is still logging my Tilt just fine FWIW.

Here's the error message I get when I try to assign Pin 2 to Chamber Temp:
Feb 21 2020 02:41:25 Received applyDevice request, updating to: {"i": 2, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 5, "h": 1, "p": 2, "x": "0"}
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Device updated to: {"i":2,"t":0,"c":0,"b":0,"f":0,"h":0,"d":0,"p":0}
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Controller debug message: ERROR 8: Cannot assign device type 1 to hardware 1
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Installed devices received: [{"i": 0, "t": 3, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 2, "h": 1, "d": 0, "p": 5, "v": 0, "x": 0}, {"i": 1, "t": 3, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 3, "h": 1, "d": 0, "p": 6, "v": 0, "x": 0}]
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Controller debug message: ERROR 3: Device definition update specification is invalid
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Available devices received: [{"i": -1, "t": 0, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 0, "h": 1, "d": 0, "p": 2, "x": 0}, {"i": -1, "t": 0, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 0, "h": 1, "d": 0, "p": 10, "x": 0}]

Here's the error message I get when I try to assign Pin 2 to Chamber Temp:
Feb 21 2020 02:41:25 Received applyDevice request, updating to: {"i": 2, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 5, "h": 1, "p": 2, "x": "0"}
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Device updated to: {"i":2,"t":0,"c":0,"b":0,"f":0,"h":0,"d":0,"p":0}
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Controller debug message: ERROR 8: Cannot assign device type 1 to hardware 1
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Installed devices received: [{"i": 0, "t": 3, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 2, "h": 1, "d": 0, "p": 5, "v": 0, "x": 0}, {"i": 1, "t": 3, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 3, "h": 1, "d": 0, "p": 6, "v": 0, "x": 0}]
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Controller debug message: ERROR 3: Device definition update specification is invalid
Feb 21 2020 02:41:27 Available devices received: [{"i": -1, "t": 0, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 0, "h": 1, "d": 0, "p": 2, "x": 0}, {"i": -1, "t": 0, "c": 1, "b": 0, "f": 0, "h": 1, "d": 0, "p": 10, "x": 0}]
I can’t guarantee that the update I just pushed to dev will fix anything, but it might correct the pin mapping and allow you to avoid this error.

Hi, I want to build a multi chamber with Fermentrack and have some questions;
1) can i use the same Rpi 3B+ i want use for RaspberryPints.
2)For each chamber i may have one Uno R3 or one D1 mini
3) Can i mix Uno and D1 on the same build or what's the best
4) I am looking for this uno R3 https://www.banggood.com/Geekcreit-...-Memory-USB-TTL-CH340G-Module-p-1205444.html? that's OK
5) For the D1 mini i am looking for this one https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/3301...&terminal_id=ccbe89c0d1354f17b61292bc5263be2d
or for this one https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/3284...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Thank in advance.

Hi, I want to build a multi chamber with Fermentrack and have some questions;
1) can i use the same Rpi 3B+ i want use for RaspberryPints.
2)For each chamber i may have one Uno R3 or one D1 mini
3) Can i mix Uno and D1 on the same build or what's the best
4) I am looking for this uno R3 https://www.banggood.com/Geekcreit-...-Memory-USB-TTL-CH340G-Module-p-1205444.html? that's OK
5) For the D1 mini i am looking for this one https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/3301...&terminal_id=ccbe89c0d1354f17b61292bc5263be2d
or for this one https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/3284...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Thank in advance.

Hey there!

1: Yes - but I recommend two Pis unless you're relatively comfortable with a command line. Cost vs. convenience. ;)
2: That's fine. You can mix these in a single Fermentrack install.
3: Yep. Its your call as to what you want. I recommend the D1 minis if you are running a bunch of chambers due to the WiFi support, but Unos are fine.
4: That isn't an Uno - that's a third party variant that bundles a ESP8266 with an ATMega. I am personally not a fan of these as you end up having to support two chipsets, but some people have made them work.
5: I definitely do not recommend the first one as it seems to be a low quality knockoff. The second one is also a knock-off, but at least it looks more polished. If you wanted to pick between just those two I'd choose the second. This link is the original designer of the board, however - if you're OK with spending slightly more, I have had overwhelming success with their products.

I can’t guarantee that the update I just pushed to dev will fix anything, but it might correct the pin mapping and allow you to avoid this error.
I gave it a try, but no luck. I reset the EEPROM, also tried uninstalling the Arduino then reinstalled it too. Could it be the Arduino? I have another Arduino I can swap out to see if that does anything.

Hi all - I've had a look through a number of guides and websites, but something's just not clicking in my brain and having a hard time understanding what I need.

In short:
I have a fermentation freezer already, and using an inkbird to control temps. I'd like to switch over to an automated controller with easier to manage fermentation profiles, etc. I already have an RPi3 running Fermentrack, and a Tilt hydrometer. This is all working well, graphing out temp and fermentation curves, etc.

I wanted to use one of these IoT Relays to control the power to the freezer:
https://dlidirect.com/products/iot-power-relay

The bit I'm confused about is: What do I need in order to connect the two and allow Fermentrack to control the relay? I'd like to use the Tilt as the temperature sensor. The RPi and the fridge are in close proximity already, and would prefer to have something wired over wireless.

Do I need an Arduino or ESP8266 wired to the IoT power relay to allow Fermentrack to control it? Should I look at using something like Fuscus (https://github.com/andrewerrington/fuscus)?

I'm fine messing around with software and configs, but trying to minimize the custom wiring/hardware requirements where possible - just not an area I know a lot about, and paranoid about burning my house down :)

Hi all - I've had a look through a number of guides and websites, but something's just not clicking in my brain and having a hard time understanding what I need.

In short:
I have a fermentation freezer already, and using an inkbird to control temps. I'd like to switch over to an automated controller with easier to manage fermentation profiles, etc. I already have an RPi3 running Fermentrack, and a Tilt hydrometer. This is all working well, graphing out temp and fermentation curves, etc.

The bit I'm confused about is: What do I need in order to connect the two and allow Fermentrack to control the relay? I'd like to use the Tilt as the temperature sensor. The RPi and the fridge are in close proximity already, and would prefer to have something wired over wireless.

Do I need an Arduino or ESP8266 wired to the IoT power relay to allow Fermentrack to control it? Should I look at using something like Fuscus (https://github.com/andrewerrington/fuscus)?

I'm fine messing around with software and configs, but trying to minimize the custom wiring/hardware requirements where possible - just not an area I know a lot about, and paranoid about burning my house down :)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/my-fermentrack-build.665245/#post-8600299

Hey there!

1: Yes - but I recommend two Pis unless you're relatively comfortable with a command line. Cost vs. convenience. ;)
2: That's fine. You can mix these in a single Fermentrack install.
3: Yep. Its your call as to what you want. I recommend the D1 minis if you are running a bunch of chambers due to the WiFi support, but Unos are fine.
4: That isn't an Uno - that's a third party variant that bundles a ESP8266 with an ATMega. I am personally not a fan of these as you end up having to support two chipsets, but some people have made them work.
5: I definitely do not recommend the first one as it seems to be a low quality knockoff. The second one is also a knock-off, but at least it looks more polished. If you wanted to pick between just those two I'd choose the second. This link is the original designer of the board, however - if you're OK with spending slightly more, I have had overwhelming success with their products.

Thank so much Thorrak for the recommandations,

I can order the pieces now.

Thank again.

In short:

Those IoT relays are neat - your build won't be as pretty as some, but you won't have to do anything whatsoever that touches mains voltage (unless you want to) which is really nice. That said, here are the answers to your questions:

What do I need to connect the two & allow Fermentrack to control the relay? Basically, you're doing a standard BrewPi build - except that rather than connecting to a 2 channel relay board you connect to that IoT relay surge protector-like thing. You'll need the typical hardware for a BrewPi build (see below).

Can I use the Tilt as a temperature sensor? No - unfortunately you cannot use the Tilt as the temperature sensor. You need to use DS18b20 sensors.

Do I need an Arduino or ESP8266? I'd prefer something wired over wireless. You can use either. I recommend the ESP8266 (/w the serial firmware in your case since you want wired) as it provides the flexibility to do both wired & wireless - but both are supported. @LBussy 's BrewPi-Remix project works great on Arduinos and is designed for wired applications.

Should I look at using something like Fuscus? Sure, if you want! Fermentrack supports it. You would be trading hardware (the ESP8266/Arduino) for some command line configuration, but there's nothing wrong with that.

How do I not burn my house down? Given that you're planning on using that IoT relay thing, you've removed the component that is most likely to result in the need for alternative housing arrangements. You will still need to do some electrical work - but it's all low voltage. The main thing you'd be putting at risk is either the Arduino or your Pi. ;)

As far as figuring out what is needed for a build, there are a couple of resources. For an Arduino build, I'd recommend the BrewPi-Remix website for resources. There's a simplified build diagram there - since you have the IoT relay, you can ignore the right hand side of it:

BrewPi-Remix-v2.png

What you'll need is the left hand side + the green (GND) and blue or purple (one of the input pins) wires going to the relay.

The wiring is pretty similar between the ESP8266 and Arduino builds - If you're interested in a full, end-to-end build with LCD screens, @garzlok 's build thread (the one that @Bigdaddyale linked) is one of the best.

Those IoT relays are neat - your build won't be as pretty as some, but you won't have to do anything whatsoever that touches mains voltage (unless you want to) which is really nice. That said, here are the answers to your questions:

What do I need to connect the two & allow Fermentrack to control the relay? Basically, you're doing a standard BrewPi build - except that rather than connecting to a 2 channel relay board you connect to that IoT relay surge protector-like thing. You'll need the typical hardware for a BrewPi build (see below).

Can I use the Tilt as a temperature sensor? No - unfortunately you cannot use the Tilt as the temperature sensor. You need to use DS18b20 sensors.

Do I need an Arduino or ESP8266? I'd prefer something wired over wireless. You can use either. I recommend the ESP8266 (/w the serial firmware in your case since you want wired) as it provides the flexibility to do both wired & wireless - but both are supported. @LBussy 's BrewPi-Remix project works great on Arduinos and is designed for wired applications.

Should I look at using something like Fuscus? Sure, if you want! Fermentrack supports it. You would be trading hardware (the ESP8266/Arduino) for some command line configuration, but there's nothing wrong with that.

How do I not burn my house down? Given that you're planning on using that IoT relay thing, you've removed the component that is most likely to result in the need for alternative housing arrangements. You will still need to do some electrical work - but it's all low voltage. The main thing you'd be putting at risk is either the Arduino or your Pi. ;)

As far as figuring out what is needed for a build, there are a couple of resources. For an Arduino build, I'd recommend the BrewPi-Remix website for resources. There's a simplified build diagram there - since you have the IoT relay, you can ignore the right hand side of it:

View attachment 667784

What you'll need is the left hand side + the green (GND) and blue or purple (one of the input pins) wires going to the relay.

The wiring is pretty similar between the ESP8266 and Arduino builds - If you're interested in a full, end-to-end build with LCD screens, @garzlok 's build thread (the one that @Bigdaddyale linked) is one of the best.

Thank you @Thorrak !! This connected the dots in my head. I really appreciate the detailed response and the reassurance on the alternative housing :)

Hi All

Just finished new controller and fermenting first brew. All is working well. Noticed temperature sensor errors in the error log. Does not seem to be affecting the operation of the control.
Errors are intermittent. Sometimes 20 hrs or more between error entries.

Using Raspberry PI 3B+
Wemos D1 mini
Wemos power supply is through USB connection to Raspberry.

Is this normal?
Any ideas on cause?

Feb 23 2020 13:05:01 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 13:34:00 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 13:34:00 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 13:34:01 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 13:34:01 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 13:34:02 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 13:34:02 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 13:43:00 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 13:43:00 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 13:43:01 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 13:43:01 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:09:25 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:09:26 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 14:09:26 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 14:09:27 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 14:09:27 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 14:09:28 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:24:37 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:24:38 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 14:24:38 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 14:24:39 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 14:24:39 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 14:24:40 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:42:18 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 18: Negative peak detected: 19.1, estimated: 19.2. Previous cool estimator: 3.201, New cool estimator: 3.201.
Feb 23 2020 16:36:40 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 16:36:41 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 17:43:02 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 18: Negative peak detected: 18.8, estimated: 18.9. Previous cool estimator: 3.201, New cool estimator: 3.201.

Hi All

Just finished new controller and fermenting first brew. All is working well. Noticed temperature sensor errors in the error log. Does not seem to be affecting the operation of the control.
Errors are intermittent. Sometimes 20 hrs or more between error entries.

Using Raspberry PI 3B+
Wemos D1 mini
Wemos power supply is through USB connection to Raspberry.

Is this normal?
Any ideas on cause?

Feb 23 2020 13:05:01 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 13:34:00 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 13:34:00 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 13:34:01 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 13:34:01 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 13:34:02 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 13:34:02 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 13:43:00 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 13:43:00 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 13:43:01 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 13:43:01 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:09:25 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:09:26 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 14:09:26 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 14:09:27 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 14:09:27 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 14:09:28 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:24:37 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:24:38 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 14:24:38 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 286588F51B1901B8
Feb 23 2020 14:24:39 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 14:24:39 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 283878F71B19017D
Feb 23 2020 14:24:40 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 14:42:18 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 18: Negative peak detected: 19.1, estimated: 19.2. Previous cool estimator: 3.201, New cool estimator: 3.201.
Feb 23 2020 16:36:40 Controller debug message: WARNING 2: Temperature sensor disconnected pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 16:36:41 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 0: Temp sensor connected on pin 0, address 28EE25C51B19013D
Feb 23 2020 17:43:02 Controller debug message: INFO MESSAGE 18: Negative peak detected: 18.8, estimated: 18.9. Previous cool estimator: 3.201, New cool estimator: 3.201.

Is this normal? No.

Any idea on cause? It’s really hard to say unfortunately. The two most likely are power issues or issues with the temperature sensors themselves.

So, when the fur is flying it looks like every 15 minutes some/all of the probes disappear and reappear.
I would obtain a separate 5VDC wall wart for the D1 mini power and not depend on the RPi USB power...

Cheers!

Is this normal? No.

Any idea on cause? It’s really hard to say unfortunately. The two most likely are power issues or issues with the temperature sensors themselves.

Thanks for the response

Still not observing any adverse effects. There was a 16 hr period in last 24 where no errors recorded.
Would have thought that the Raspberry power supply at 2.5A would be good enough for this application.
Sensors seem to be stable, all three have same cable length at 3 meters. Have extras that I can swap out.

I will let this one ferment out and then look into the power supply angle.

Thanks also day_tripper.

Thanks for the response

Still not observing any adverse effects. There was a 16 hr period in last 24 where no errors recorded.
Would have thought that the Raspberry power supply at 2.5A would be good enough for this application.
Sensors seem to be stable, all three have same cable length at 3 meters. Have extras that I can swap out.

I will let this one ferment out and then look into the power supply angle.

Thanks also day_tripper.
That's definitely the way to do it - especially if you aren't seeing any immediate issues maintaining temps, and you have a ferment going. Never a good idea to switch things up mid-ferment. One guess as to how I know... ;)

[...]Would have thought that the Raspberry power supply at 2.5A would be good enough for this application.[...]

The problem is not the 5V at the RPi, it's that most USB cables are total shite and can induce significant voltage drop to the load (your Mini). I did some tests many years ago on the typical ~18" cables often included with devices and found 5V dropped to as low as 4.54 at the load inputs, and the best cables still dropped to ~4.85. At the lower voltage there isn't a whole lot of headroom left for the D1's 3.3V regulator (LDO or not) and then you have your ds18b20 some wire length removed from there...

Cheers!

Hi all! I wanted to say a quick thank you to Thorrak and everyone here :) I got my setup running with the IoT Relay and it's working like a champ - automated lager fermentation profiles, here I come! Really cool, and I now that I've put a basic setup together I can really appreciate the great build threads people were linking.

I did have one lingering question - I went with an Arduino as the controller, flashed through Fermentrack. Everything seems to be working great, but I do get one error when I do the device debug:
Udev Availability Test linux Failed pyudev is not available, or isn't loaded

Everything seems to be working fine, even after a couple of restarts. Do I need to worry about this error or just roll with it for now?

Hi all! I wanted to say a quick thank you to Thorrak and everyone here :) I got my setup running with the IoT Relay and it's working like a champ - automated lager fermentation profiles, here I come! Really cool, and I now that I've put a basic setup together I can really appreciate the great build threads people were linking.

I did have one lingering question - I went with an Arduino as the controller, flashed through Fermentrack. Everything seems to be working great, but I do get one error when I do the device debug:
Udev Availability Test linux Failed pyudev is not available, or isn't loaded

Everything seems to be working fine, even after a couple of restarts. Do I need to worry about this error or just roll with it for now?

You shouldn’t need to worry about this unless you try to run multiple controllers all connected via USB off the same Pi. The point of udev is to provide an authoritative method for determining which Arduino is on each serial port. Less of a problem if there’s only one. ;)

Good morning all,

Hopefully quick question for you. Do you think decreasing the polling time for an attached Tilt would have any positive impact on its battery life? Right now I have my Fermentrack to poll the default 15 seconds. Realistically,you'll still be able to see trends in temp and gravity even at polling every 60 seconds.

Changing out the battery is a bit of a pain for me as it always seems to get stuck, so making the battery last longer would be a plus. I know that storing it upright puts the Tilt to sleep, but I'm pretty much going from fermentation to fermentation with it. Not a lot of downtime...

Thoughts?

The problem is not the 5V at the RPi, it's that most USB cables are total poopye and can induce significant voltage drop to the load (your Mini). I did some tests many years ago on the typical ~18" cables often included with devices and found 5V dropped to as low as 4.54 at the load inputs, and the best cables still dropped to ~4.85. At the lower voltage there isn't a whole lot of headroom left for the D1's 3.3V regulator (LDO or not) and then you have your ds18b20 some wire length removed from there...
This should be a sticky. While I am an offender when it comes to using the USB's power for Controllers, this narrative by @day_trippr explains in no uncertain terms WHY this is a bad thing. The very first thing peope should do when they have issues related to controllers is to apply external power. Always. Every Time.

Do you think decreasing the polling time for an attached Tilt would have any positive impact on its battery life? Right now I have my Fermentrack to poll the default 15 seconds.
No. The Tilt broadcasts all the time and how often the Tiltbridge sends that to it's endpoint has no bearing on the Tilt itself.

Back