just an observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wortmaker

Reaction score
1. why does everyome mash in a cooler.....makes no sense, you cant heat it and its a pain in theass

2. why does everyone use beersmith like its a religion or something, promash is much better but since "everyone uses beersmith" thats what everyone does

3. the barley crusher sucks....yea I know everyone loves it....but it sucks...weak bearings and slow as shi*........for the price the schmidling maltmill is so much better made and is so much faster

just my 3 cents

for everyone here....just because everyone's doing it and it seems the "thing to do" doesn't mean its the best option

I have seen alot of bad advice here and it needs to stop

so there

1. why does everyome mash in a cooler.....makes no sense, you cant heat it and its a pain in theass

2. why does everyone use beersmith like its a religion or something, promash is much better but since "everyone uses beersmith" thats what everyone does

3. the barley crusher sucks....yea I know everyone loves it....but it sucks...weak bearings and slow as shi*........for the price the schmidling maltmill is so much better made and is so much faster

just my 3 cents

for everyone here....just because everyone's doing it and it seems the "thing to do" doesn't mean its the best option

so there

coolers hold heat amazingly are inexpesive easy to use for new AGers and reduce complexity and cost as far as burners kegs etc are concerned and beersmith has this nifty feature that tells you what you should put your strike water at so the need to heat is a moot point and as far as the barley crusher malt mill thing the malt mill gets blown out of the water by a 6 inch smooth roller mill.

If you think there is bad advice here check out some of the other homebrew forums this place truly is the biggest concentration of really really good brewers with amazing diy skills.

on a side note that was a very angry post for someone who only has 4 posts not a way to make friends who have potential to bail you out sometime down the road when a brewing problem arises

just my 3 cents

so there

Glad you got here just in time to save everyone.

I use my 10 gal cooler cuz I got it FREE! and it hold a good temp.

I dont use any brewing software..so ok.

I also dont have a grain mill.

just my 1 cent. :cross:

but they sure hold heat nicely. I'll take 0.5*F heat loss over 1 hour without any energy at all a victory...

I don't use beersmith so I guess I'm not everyone....

I personally love my barely crusher.

just my 3 cents

And my 3 cents back at'cha :D

so there

I wouldn't call cooler MLTs, Beersmith, and Barley Crusher's bad advice, I would just call you a troll.....

There are many, many, many ways to make beer......no sense in trying to bust on people and/or things that work for many.

Good luck to ya

1) Because they hold heat really well, are easy to use, almost everybody has an old cooler laying around somehwere, and they're cheap if you don't have one laying around. FWIW they can be heated, just not with a gas burner. What about using a cooler MLT is a pain in the ass for you?

2) What makes you say that pro-mash is so much better? I think they're very similar programs, but I find beersmith slightly more intuitive and easier to use myself. I ulitmately chose it over pro-mash because it's still supported and gets updates.

3) Never used a barley crusher brand mill, so I have no opinion on that one.

I've also seen a lot of bad info posted on the interwebs regarding brewing, but I've found this site to have far less of it than any other. Do you have any evidence to support your assertions, or are you just trying to stir the pot?

I just love when people have the attitude of "You shouldn't do things a certain way just because everyone else does. You should do it a certain way because I do!" LOL

Took his advice and disposed of the MLT I was building
DSC02464.JPG

Man, I always miss all the fun! So, to sum up:

1. four posts and thinks its appropriate to tell everyone what idiots they are
2. not smart enough to hide the fact that he's underage
3. and Blue Moon is his favorite beer

hindenburg-300x224.jpg

The only implosion that I can remember being around for was the guy who told Paul Who Works In A Hospital to *bleep* off. Then he told me he wanted to have sex with me. Good times.

just my 3 cents

so there

A hater! and from Jersey no less...

Probably a Yankees fan, too!:D

Sooo, the original post WASN'T in DRMM?! Cuz I thought it would've been ironic if that's where the OP had decided to post in the first place. Nothing like preemptively calling one's self an idiot.

Don't ban the OP, Yoop. He's quite obviously an expert and we're all a bunch of maroons.

Wait, morons. Yes, we're morons. That's what I meant. :p

Don't ban the OP, Yoop. He's quite obviously an expert and we're all a bunch of maroons.

No... no... rules are rules. We all have to wait until he grows up before he can come and show us the light.

The Cat is right. Even though we need his expertise to help us learn to brew beer the right way, we have to wait for him to turn 21. Rules are rules.

In the meantime, there is always craigtube to tide you over.

(PSA- I'm not slagging on Craig. That was a joke. Made in fun. To be funny and is not intended to restart ancient debates about Mr. Tube. Until the OP becomes of age, however, we need to start somewhere.)

awwww, don't give us that crap, Yoop. You banned him because you were threatened by his mad superior brewing skillz.

Or was it his highly diplomatic way of wording his superior thoughts on brewing?

Why is everyone ragging on this kid?

My profile said I was a 27 year-old woman until someone brought it to my attention. (I'm 23 and all man in case anyone says otherwise!) Maybe his profile was incorrect.

Although I don't quite agree with what he said, I've seen some bad advice on here. More often, I've seen really good advice. Why would anyone expect anything otherwise? There's no requirement to join--anyone can, which is a good thing, but that just means you need to be careful. The guys who really know their stuff use lots of facts and science in addition to personal experience.

This has been something on my mind for a while--check my sig. Someone needs to write a new book on homebrewing. We take a lot for granted, and when some of this knowledge is put to the test through the scientific method, it falls flat. For example, according to Basic Brewing podcast, irish moss doesn't do anything. (I still add it for ****s and gigs since I have a bunch.) I love podcasts because there are guys out there who are willing to conduct real experiments to test brewing methods, but they tend to be long-winded, and the experiments aren't repeated enough to be 100 percent reliable.

Just sayin. Also, Raging ***** is delicious.

]Why is everyone ragging on this kid?

Because he was arrogant, wrong, and offensive.

This has been something on my mind for a while--check my sig. Someone needs to write a new book on homebrewing.

How to Brew is about as scientific, up to date and thorough as I can stand.

We take a lot for granted, and when some of this knowledge is put to the test through the scientific method, it falls flat. For example, according to Basic Brewing podcast, irish moss doesn't do anything. (I still add it for ****s and gigs since I have a bunch.) I love podcasts because there are guys out there who are willing to conduct real experiments to test brewing methods, but they tend to be long-winded, and the experiments aren't repeated enough to be 100 percent reliable.

I like Basic Brewing, listen to it often, but most/all of the "experiments" they run are nowhere near scientifically valid. They are informative, interesting, but don't begin to justify statements like "irish moss doesn't do anything."

Just sayin.

Ok

just my 3 cents

so there

Smells like troll in here....

This isn't up for debate, so let me just say this. Our policy is that you must be of legal age in the country in which you reside. When you sign up for the forum, you swear to this. You also must put in your date of birth.

If your date of birth is wrong, that's something YOU did. Now, the "female" setting? Yeah, I think we can accept responsiblity for that! :D

If someone's not smart to lie about their age, or to subtract 21 from 2010, maybe they don't belong here.

If someone's not smart to lie about their age, or to subtract 21 from 2010, maybe they don't belong here.

I think there may be a correlation between not being smart enough to say you're 21 in a beer making forum and deciding on your 4th post to call everyone an idiot. ;)

Now, the "female" setting? Yeah, I think we can accept responsiblity for that! :D

I prefer to think that all the men around here who didn't change the default gender setting to 'male' when they registered are just experimenting . . . .
:tank:

Q: "Why is everyone ragging on this kid?"

A: Because he's a ******. There, I said it.

Because he was arrogant, wrong, and offensive.

How to Brew is about as scientific, up to date and thorough as I can stand.

I like Basic Brewing, listen to it often, but most/all of the "experiments" they run are nowhere near scientifically valid. They are informative, interesting, but don't begin to justify statements like "irish moss doesn't do anything."

Ok

Well it doesn't mention hop teas, late extract additions, cold steeping, that HSA isn't dangerous, and other things that don't come off the top of my head. Not saying I don't love the book. It just needs to be updated a bit. If you perused every BYO and brewing podcast out there, I bet you could come up with a pretty big body of information to test. If you sat down and conducted real scientific brewing experiments you could really get to the bottom of a lot of questions we have. If I had more time and money, I'd be doing exactly that.

Even though I said "according to basic brewing radio," and also pointed out the fact that their experiments aren't always thorough, you somehow still managed to take me out of context. My point was to lighten up a bit, but I guess that was lost on you.

Back