Just a quick observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Having just started the hobby of home roasting my own coffee, I have noticed something interesting. I am used to the big two in the coffee world, Starbucks and Peetes. With both of them, I get a cup of coffee that is very bitter and quite strong. What I am noticing with the coffee I have roasted so far, I am not getting near the bitterness and getting a bit more "flavor" that I am not used to. My own roasts have been, in my mind, perceived as a bit on the weak side, but certainly a bit more actual flavor instead of just harsh bitterness. I am still very new, only about a pound roasted thus far, so I am sure it is a newbie thing. My question, I guess is, am I just getting used to the difference in home roasts vs commercial roasts where they might have to taylor to the masses so to speak? Or am I not doing something right? It is really cool, and I have an old friend who is an actual broker who goes to different farms, so once I get my groove on, I might hit him up and see what he thinks. But, since I am sitting here enjoying a cup, I thought I would post a quick observation . Thoughts and comments are always welcome. Rock On!!!!!!!

Hey there Redrocker! I have not ever enjoyed a coffee from Burntbuck's. Their coffee has always been burnt, bitter, and acidic. Those descriptions, I believe, are their flavors... LoL 😂. Now you are roasting your own, you will see how much more "love" my coffee, means. Personal preference for how long you let them roast for. You mentioned how long do you let them roast before dropping after 1st crack. You can actually drop them before that, although I would not recommend it. Safe bet for you, would be to go for 35 to 45 seconds after first crack. That should get you into the city to city+ doneness range. What pleases you though, you'll have to decide. Purchase a bean you will enjoy. Buy it in a 20 pound option. Now, use this as a "find" your preference opportunity. Roast to first crack and drop at 10 seconds after. Continue this for the second roast and drop 20 seconds later than you did for the first. Continuing with this method, go into second crack (commercial coffee roasting territory 😂) if for nothing else than to experience it. Enjoying the true flavor of coffee beans is where I like it. Some folks still prefer the commercial flavor, because they can't unlearn what they were taught to be the flavor of coffee. Black, bitter, and acidic. When you don't have to drown the cup with sugar and cream to mask that flavor, I think it's the right direction....ymmv.....
Cheers!!!

I completely agree. Getting used to the difference is going to be fun. Once I get my process down,, then I will hit my buddy up for some green beans right from the farm LOL

I used to be a dark roast drinker and enjoyed the "roastiness." And so many people prefer it. When I learned to roast I tried light and medium roasts. It just opened up a whole new world of coffee. To me, going from dark to light roasts is kind of like going from macro beers to craft beer.

When I go to a coffee shop I always order light. Never tried light at Scorchbacks, but wouldn't be surprised if that was burnt, too.

Our local chain, Dunn Bros., is quite good, BTW. Up in my burb, indie coffee shops don't last long. :-(

Only time I roast dark is if I get some cheap, crappy beans that don't stand up on their own. As @Hoppy2bmerry mentioned, it covers bad beans. I once got a deal on some Brazilian robusta. Knew what I was getting into, but couldn't resist the price. Dark roast for those, and not a bad cuppa joe for everyday use.

Back