just an observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
**sarcasm alert**

I believe this is my 19th post and I've done two extract brews and one cider. I obviously have the clout and credentials to let you all know how terrible you are at everything. I'm getting tired of getting all this helpfull advice and finding all these threads with such great information! Maybe I'll start my own unhelpfull forum site to prove to everyone how wrong they are...

Some people's kids...

I admit that there is a lot of bad advice handed out on here. Most of it is from inexperienced newbies like the OP, though. The veteran brewers on here have taught me one hell of a lot since I first arrived.

I'm learning tons every time I peruse this forum and I couldn't be more thankful for the veteran info on here. I think a member should just contribute where their skill/knowledge/experience can be an addition to the community, even if it's just the enthusiastic "Hey I'm a new brewer and this is my first brew!" post. I don't tell people how to brew because I'm a complete noob, but I'm more than willing to comment on hops growing (from a horticultural background) and give a look at peoples' projects that seem interesting.

Pride comes before/during the fall.

^thank you to YooperBrew, Cat, Bobby, Ed Wort, and the countless other pros for all your contribution^

I'm learning tons every time I peruse this forum and I couldn't be more thankful for the veteran info on here. I think a member should just contribute where their skill/knowledge/experience can be an addition to the community, even if it's just the enthusiastic "Hey I'm a new brewer and this is my first brew!" post. I don't tell people how to brew because I'm a complete noob, but I'm more than willing to comment on hops growing (from a horticultural background) and give a look at peoples' projects that seem interesting.

Pride comes before/during the fall.

^thank you to YooperBrew, Cat, Bobby, Ed Wort, and the countless other pros for all your contribution^

+100
Anytime I've posted one of my silly noob questions I've got great responses, usually within minutes. The help many of these people give us noobs is outstanding and the patience they have is sometimes almost unbelievable. :mug:

+100
Anytime I've posted one of my silly noob questions I've got great responses, usually within minutes. The help many of these people give us noobs is outstanding and the patience they have is sometimes almost unbelievable. :mug:

Ironically, Cracked1, I've also done two extracts and have cider in primary. Cheers, good friend :mug:

Even though I said "according to basic brewing radio," and also pointed out the fact that their experiments aren't always thorough, you somehow still managed to take me out of context.

I quoted your entire paragraph, that's not taking you out of context.

My point was to lighten up a bit, but I guess that was lost on you.

I understood your point that I should lighten up on the OP. I just disagree.

Dammit! Someone called me out on my brewing techniques!

I guess now I have to ditch the cooler and Beersmith, cause obviously they don't work! (I built my own crusher and I "think" it works ok, so until I hear otherwise, I'll keep using it.)

So... What was it I've been making these past few years if it wasn't beer?

Just my observation...Post count does not equal experience...

Exactly. I'm nearing 3,000 posts, which only proves that I like to hang out around this forum. People would be well-served to ignore any advice I might give, as poorly thought-out and ill-conceived.

Just my observation...Post count does not equal experience...

Well, I agree! I have over 25,000 posts and am mostly full of BS.

Jamilz (http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/jamilz) has 40 posts. He's a homebrewing idol.

Maybe the inverse is true- a high post count means little brewing knowledge is shared, but there sure is lots of blabbing in my case!

Well, I agree! I have over 25,000 posts and am mostly full of BS.

Jamilz (http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/jamilz) has 40 posts. He's a homebrewing idol.

Maybe the inverse is true- a high post count means little brewing knowledge is shared, but there sure is lots of blabbing in my case!

Yooper, I have to say that there has been more than one time when there has been a scientific-oriented brewing discussion going on (the kind I avoid like the plague because my brewing is art not science dammit) and, suddenly, you pop up and say something cogent and insightful.

Last night I was reading a book on mead making and found myself actually interested in the molecular structure of honey. Excuse me while I go hit myself with a hammer.

I'm still trying to figure out #1 and #2.....

What's a PITA about a cooler in his mind? And more importantly everyone here uses and advocates beersmith? Seems like brewers on here are evenly split amongst all the main paid, and even free recipe creation tools...I haven't seen a preponderance over one or the other by the posters on here.

Hmmm...i'm always fascinated by what triggers rants or trolls, and can't find anything that would in his small amount of posts to have warranted it.

I know ya'll are having fun, and I am enjoying the responses, but I am still kinda puzzeled by his post...unless it was pure trolling by taking on three "icons" of brewing gear, coolers, beersmith and Barleycrushers.....

Trolls are trolls. Most just aren't so blatant. That's why it shouldn't be a one-year ban; kid was here to start ****, pure and simple. **** him.

1. why does everyome mash in a cooler.....makes no sense, you cant heat it and its a pain in theass
I don't do different temperatures during my mashes, It hold constant temp far better than anything else and cost. Just cause it makes no sense to you, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. All those reasons I stated to use a cooler, would make using a keg make no sense.

2. why does everyone use beersmith like its a religion or something, promash is much better but since "everyone uses beersmith" thats what everyone does
It was the first I saw, I downloaded the free trial and loved. 2 years after buying it it makes great repeatable beer. No reason to switch. Therefore when someone asks about software I recommend BS because it's what I've used and love.

3. the barley crusher sucks....yea I know everyone loves it....but it sucks...weak bearings and slow as shi*........for the price the schmidling maltmill is so much better made and is so much faster

just my 3 cents

for everyone here....just because everyone's doing it and it seems the "thing to do" doesn't mean its the best option
No comment, I don't have a mill yet.

I have seen a lot of bad advice here and it needs to stop
There is lots of bad advice, but just because it's not your opinion or different that what you prefer doesn't make it bad advice.

so there
Answers in Red

so there

*edit*
dangit, in too late.

Subscribed.

I may need to email the BJCP Judges and let them know they gave me medals for beers that were brewed incorrectly from grain crushed by an inferior mill.

21st Birthday To-Do-List

1: Post on that forum that banned me. ( I'll show them)
2: Go buy some beer, legally
3: Go make beer MY WAY. The way everyone should.

Stevo2569 said:
21st Birthday To-Do-List

1: Post on that forum that banned me. ( I'll show them)
2: Go buy some beer, legally
3: Go make beer MY WAY. The way everyone should.

4: ....
5: Profit

So, did you bite the bullet and build a cooler MLT yet? They're pretty wonderful brewing tools, after all. Ask anyone on this forum...

What is taking so long for wortmaker to share his enlightenment with us? Surely he can just copy and paste from the thesis he used to get his doctorate in brewing science.

Back