Way too much trub/sediment in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I went to bottle my chocolate stout today. I started with 5.5 gallons in the fermenter with the hopes of bottling 5, and ended up with 4! It seems like 1.5 gallons is waaay too much to lose.

I didn't use a hop bag, and just dumped the post-boil wort into the fermenter, so that could have contributed to the issue. Fermented with Nottingham for about 4 weeks (a little longer than my standard). Used some cocoa powder and a Whirlfloc tablet in the boil, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I hit my gravity numbers pretty much dead on, so there's no problem there, I'd just rather not lose 1.5 gallons each time. Any recommendations on how to minimize this?

If you cold crash, you will condense the trub. When I use a low flocculating yeast, I end up with 1.5 to 2 gallons of yeast cake at room temp. When I cold crash it, it condenses to about .75 to 1 gallon. With other yeast, it isn't as big of a problem, but I might get an extra quart or two of beer.

By the end of fermentation, all that trub packs into a few inches at the bottom. No worries.

I used to have the same problem. I now use a 5 gallon paint strainer and filter the trub out. All my beers are super clean and not much loss.

I usually end up with about 4 inches or so of trub without using a hop spider. Do hop spiders *really* make that much difference in the amount of trub?

I usually end up with 3/4 inch of trub and I dump everything into the fermenter. How long do you let your beer sit in the fermenter and at what temperature for the ferment? What yeast and what form of hops?

Wow....4" for a 5 gallon batch? In my experience, that's a LOT. So is 1.5 gallons. I typically end up with .5" max after fermentation in a 6.5 gallon bucket. This is the case for anything from Sessions to Imperials, and I ferment at 70*F (ish) until it's done- usually about 9 days. I'm AG with a Whirlfloc, IC cooling. I filter the trub by clipping a paint strainer bag over the top of the bucket, running a .5" ID hose from the kettle. I dump the entire kettle contents through this bag, hop bits and all, and it stops almost everything from getting into the kettle. I can't believe the goop I catch in the bag would equate to more than .75" in the fermentor though. I aim for 5.25 gallons into fermentor and typically run out of keg space before I run out of beer. Sad, really. Kyle

I just bottled my Dark Chocolate Stout,I had .75 Gal of trub at bottom of my bucket. I used a paint strainers from Home Depot, plus a cullender to pour through after boil. Works great even with hop pellets. Although I used whole for this batch.

If you long primary you will compress the trub and get most of the beer back.

You'll find that more and more recipes these days do not advocate moving to a secondary at all, but mention primary for a month, which is starting to reflect the shift in brewing culture that has occurred in the last 4 years, MOSTLY because of many of us on here, skipping secondary, opting for longer primaries, and writing about it. Recipes in BYO have begun stating that in their magazine. I remember the "scandal" it caused i the letters to the editor's section a month later, it was just like how it was here when we began discussing it, except a lot more civil than it was here. But after the Byo/Basic brewing experiment, they started reflecting it in their recipes.

Fermenting the beer is just a part of what the yeast do. If you leave the beer alone, they will go back and clean up the byproducts of fermentation that often lead to off flavors. That's why many brewers skip secondary and leave our beers alone in primary for a month. It leaves plenty of time for the yeast to ferment, clean up after themselves and then fall out, leaving our beers crystal clear, with a tight yeast cake.

I get little if any sediment in my bottles, simply by opting for a long primary. This is my yeastcake for my Sri Lankin Stout that sat in primary for 5 weeks. Notice how tight the yeast cake is? None of that got racked over to my bottling bucket. And the beer is extremely clear.

150874_473504884066_620469066_5740814_2866677_n.jpg

That little bit of beer to the right is all of the 5 gallons that DIDN'T get vaccumed off the surface of the tight trub. Note how clear it is, there's little if any floaties in there.

When I put 5 gallons in my fermenter, I tend to get 5 gallons into bottles. The cake itself is like cement, it's about an inch thick and very, very dense, you can't just tilt your bucket and have it fall out. I had to use water pressure to get it to come out.

156676_473504924066_620469066_5740815_1970477_n.jpg

This is the last little bit of the same beer in the bottling bucket, this is the only sediment that made it though and that was done on purpose, when I rack I always make sure to rub the autosiphon across the bottom of the primary to make sure there's plenty of yeast in suspension to carb the beer, but my bottles are all crystal clear and have little sediment in them.

Half the time I forget to use moss, and you can't tell the difference in clarity.

I get the barest hint of sediment in my bottles....just enough for the yeast to have done the job of carbonating the beer.

And the only filtering my beer gets is through my kidneys. ;)

I've always heard that leaving the beer in the primary for more than a few weeks could affect the flavor due to the long contact with the trub. I've never been convinced. I've tried using secondary fermenters even used my keg as a secondary. I think I'm convinced that a long primary is the way to go. I cannot see any difference or benefit for the additional extra work to rack over.

Wow....4" for a 5 gallon batch? In my experience, that's a LOT. So is 1.5 gallons. I typically end up with .5" max after fermentation in a 6.5 gallon bucket. This is the case for anything from Sessions to Imperials, and I ferment at 70*F (ish) until it's done- usually about 9 days. I'm AG with a Whirlfloc, IC cooling. I filter the trub by clipping a paint strainer bag over the top of the bucket, running a .5" ID hose from the kettle. I dump the entire kettle contents through this bag, hop bits and all, and it stops almost everything from getting into the kettle. I can't believe the goop I catch in the bag would equate to more than .75" in the fermentor though. I aim for 5.25 gallons into fermentor and typically run out of keg space before I run out of beer. Sad, really. Kyle

I've done 4 AG batches now. IPAs, ESBs, Stout, etc. I've always had a lot of trub left in the primary. I've done a secondary on all those beers, so I've transferred after 7 days.

I don't filter the beer in any way coming from the kettle. I use irish moss or whirlfloc, and I use in IC to get the beer to 70ºF within 15 minutes.

I plan to do a Best Bitter tomorrow, and I'm going to use a nylon bag for the hops, and to strain the wort as it goes into the primary. I also plan to primary this for 3 weeks, and go straight to the bottle.

Hopefully, I'll see a drastic reduction in trub.

I've always heard that leaving the beer in the primary for more than a few weeks could affect the flavor due to the long contact with the trub. I've never been convinced. I've tried using secondary fermenters even used my keg as a secondary. I think I'm convinced that a long primary is the way to go. I cannot see any difference or benefit for the additional extra work to rack over.

You're about 30 years and several thousands of discussions out of date with that info....start here, and follow the other links listed to get caught up. Your beer will thank you.

I'm just wondering now if the boil has something to do with this. I haven't brought my wort to a full rolling boil in my kettle. There's always some action there, and there seems to be a hot break, but it's not really intense.

Can that have something to do with the amount of trub I see?

Revvy said:
You're about 30 years and several thousands of discussions out of date with that info....start here, and follow the other links listed to get caught up. Your beer will thank you.

Revvy I wish I had read this before going to my LHBS today. I had an IPA in the primary for 7 days and it was going to stay there another week or so but we got into this discussion at the HBS and they highly recommend racking... Guess they missed this thread. Doing a stout tomorrow and I'm going with this method. Wish I hadn't racked my IPA over this afternoon. Thanks again for the advice.

So I go away for Thanksgiving and come back to two pages worth of thread! Thanks!

Revvy, the odd thing is, I did leave it in there a month. I thought that would help, but it was just ridiculous. 1.5 gallons, and VERY loose/liquidy. I was using Nottingham, at about 65*.

I'm going to use some muslin hop bags in my boil from now on, and I'll try and paint strainer bag idea for filtering it as it goes into the primary. Hopefully that'll help.

Thanks again

Not to bump an old thread, but I ran my wort through a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer after chilling, and, WOW! The amount of cold break it picked up was enough to clog the bag and have it hold a full gallon of wort! No wonder I was getting so much sediment in the fermenter. I'll report back on bottling day to see how everything turned out inside.

Latest posts

Back