Secondary fermenter: how much headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer393052

Reaction score
Hi, one of the 5-gallon recipe I have calls for a secondary fermentation in a different vessel, with dry hoping. As I don't have a 5-gallon glass vessel (looks like plastic is not recommended because of O2 permeability), I was thinking I'd use the 2 1-gallon glass fermenters I have.

In terms of capacity, each of those fermenters can hold a bit more than 1.5 gallon. Because it's a secondary, I understand headspace should be small to limit O2 exposure. With 1.25 gallon, the surface of the liquid is 3 inches below the lid. With 1.5 gallon, it's 1 inch below.

My question is: how much headspace is too much and how much is too little for a secondary? In other words, how much beer can I put in those fermenters? 1.25 gallon? 1.5?

Thank you

It sounds like you're working with minimal equipment and probably looking to do a siphon or gravity transfer with no bottled CO2 for purging anything. The transfer alone is likely to introduce far more oxygen than any O2-permeated-to-plastic.... You'd probably be best off just quickly and carefully pulling your airlock, dumping the hops in putting the airlock back in (after wiping with a sanitizer). Like @BrewnWKopperKat said; Secondary is an uneeded and risky thing of the past.
:mug:

@Brewer393052 : With a session IPA, you need to minimize transfers between containers.

@Broken Crow offers solid advice on the dry hop addition.

eta: FWIW, this is one of the extract few online kit instructions that I have seen that does not make secondary optional. This seems like the time and place to make use of the vendor's customer support and "We've Got Your Batch" guarentee.

FWIW, this is one of the extract few online kit instructions that I have seen that does not make secondary optional
To be fair, they do mention that the secondary is optional, in the "Minimum requirement" section:

"A 5 gallon glass carboy, with bung and airlock, to use as a secondary fermenter - If you do not have a secondary fermenter you may skip the secondary fermentation and add an additional week to primary fermentation before bottling"

It sounds like you're working with minimal equipment and probably looking to do a siphon or gravity transfer with no bottled CO2 for purging anything. The transfer alone is likely to introduce far more oxygen than any O2-permeated-to-plastic.... You'd probably be best off just quickly and carefully pulling your airlock, dumping the hops in putting the airlock back in (after wiping with a sanitizer). Like @BrewnWKopperKat said; Secondary is an uneeded and risky thing of the past.
:mug:
Yeah, I'm going back and forth between doing a secondary or skipping it. What I was envisioning was transferring via gravity (spigot + tubing) carefully in the glass fermenters, roughly 2.5 gallons of the batch, and bottling the remaining 2.5 gallons. The added benefit would be that I could compare the 2 sub-batches and judge what the impact of the secondary was. But as you said that might be a lot of trouble and risk for not much added benefits.

Yeah, I'm going back and forth between doing a secondary or skipping it. What I was envisioning was transferring via gravity (spigot + tubing) carefully in the glass fermenters, roughly 2.5 gallons of the batch, and bottling the remaining 2.5 gallons. The added benefit would be that I could compare the 2 sub-batches and judge what the impact of the secondary was. But as you said that might be a lot of trouble and risk for not much added benefits.
Yeah..skip it for now. IPA's and other hop-forward brews are particularly prone to O2 damage. If you want to do a splitting experiment for your own comparison, I'd recommend a traditional low-hop English-Ale, In my own experience, I've found some of them actually taste a bit better with a miniscule amount of oxidation, but you can still taste it and that helps to 'educate & inform' your palate and brewing sense. All part of the journey.
Brew On!
:bigmug:

I agree with the commenters who recommend skipping the transfer and the secondary fermentation. I have made only 2 batches of beer so far, both from kits, and both with instructions that "recommended" secondary. For the first batch I did the secondary, and for the second batch I skipped it. Much better flavor on my second batch, for what it's worth. And the second batch also included dry hopping. Based on advice from this forum, I just quickly lifted the lid off my white plastic bucket fermenter, tossed in the hops, and sealed it again. I don't think I even bothered to stir them in. Again, I thought the results were fine, but of course I'm a beginner, what do I know? Good luck!

Back