Which Brewer are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, which brewer best matches your personality or brewing style.

• Charlie Papazian

• John Palmer

• Jim Koch

• sam calagione

• Ringo, of course.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There's been a spate of "personality" threads on here this week. I don't think we've had this many in quite awhile. I kept expecting to see someone post a "Which Beatle are You?" thread in the midsts of the "Do you smoke?" or "Are you a pederast?" or "Do you believe in God?" questions.

So in honor of idle curiosity or plain boredom, I offer you one of my own.

The Official "Which Brewer Are You?" Personality Question.

So which of these brewers most represents your brewing personality?

Charlie Papazian

Charlie+Papazian.jpg

RDWHAHB, is your middle name, and your maxim. Although you may use a hydrometer, and sanitize like the best of them, you don't "sweat the small stuff.' You know ultimately that once you pitch the yeast, your job is done, and at the end of the day, no matter how far off the mark you may have missed your efficiency, or mis-measured your extract, you know that it will still end up beer that you are making.

To you this is a hobby, it's about fun and relaxation, not something you lose sleep over.

John Palmer

johnpalmer.jpg

To you it ain't brewing unless you know your mash's ph down to the 4th decimal point and you can cite the water chemistry for the city of Pilsen in your sleep. The BJCP style guide in your bathroom reader. This is more science than art for you, and you are the ultimate uber geek, or science wonk. You can keep up with Kaiser in a discussion in the science thread, and even teach him a few things. To your enemies you are called "anal," and to your friends you are "type a," but either way, you are in charge.

Jim Koch

JimKoch.jpg

You are at the top of your game, and that game is the status quo. You make fine brews, and turn out a consistent, solid product, loved by both bmc drinkers and beer geeks alike, but there is nothing funky about your beers. You're not big on wild flavors and crazy experimentation in your own beers, but you do have an appreciation for those who do.

Sam Calagione

081124_r17963_p233.jpg

Your name may be Sam, but it ain't Sam Adams you are making. The wilder the better is your motto. You are the brewer who walks through the grocery store, or junk yard and thinks over and over "I wonder if I can make beer with that?" There's nothing you wouldn't consider trying to put in your nectar, including your own bodily secretions if the mood strikes you. Your friends have to ask about everything in the beer you give them, before they dare even stiff it, and you're no stranger to the "EW," or the dumped batch. You are the Ben and Jerry's of Beer.

So which are you?;)

(Is this the best thread I've made, EVAH?)

How do I change my vote? I learned on How To Brew, so I picked Palmer, but I'm probably more of a Charlie Papazian.

I'm charlie. I'm being finicky if I weigh anything. "Meh that bag has 1 lb of grain in it.... that's more or less half of it, so that's about a half pound"

Charlie Papazian....only because I'm pretty laid back about the whole process. If I'm not having fun....then I'd probably just go to the beer store and be done with it. I'm anal about some things but most I'm not. I try not to come up with clever names for my brews...give my house some lame brewery name, have a website, or make labels. I don't like trying to be something I'm not.....(the king of all brewers...)I'm pretty lazy and this hobby suits me just fine..... The longer I put off doing something (racking, bottling, kegging, drinking....) the better everything gets....

I don't fit in any of the categories.

2 parts Papa Charlie
1 part John Palmer
1 part Jim Koch
Pinch of Sam Calagione

S-05 for 3 weeks and bottle.

I don't fit in any of the categories.

2 parts Papa Charlie
1 part John Palmer
1 part Jim Koch
Pinch of Sam Calagione

S-05 for 3 weeks and bottle.

Yeah I figured most of us are really a bit of everything. I wish I could have made a poll to reflect that. But I was hoping people would do what you and I did, describe our "formula."

Charlie Papazian....only because I'm pretty laid back about the whole process. If I'm not having fun....then I'd probably just go to the beer store and be done with it. I'm anal about some things but most I'm not. I try not to come up with clever names for my brews...give my house some lame brewery name, have a website, or make labels. I don't like trying to be something I'm not.....(the king of all brewers...)I'm pretty lazy and this hobby suits me just fine..... The longer I put off doing something (racking, bottling, kegging, drinking....) the better everything gets....

I'm a Charlie Pap. I'm a high energy, hyper person in my "real life".

But when I brew, baby, I'm in the ZONE. I'm relaxed, laid back, easy going, and let the beer make itself. I don't make labels, name the beers (besides my famous "spank me red") or rack unless I feel like it. I like knowing the science, but overall I'm the most relaxed brewer you'll ever met.

Hmmm....

Guess I'm a mutt brewer as well. Love being a Brewguyver, so there's definately some Palmer. Not as mellow on brew day as Yooper, but if a something doesn't go as planned, I work around it and still produce a decent beer, ala Papa P. Not an "out in left field" kind of brewer, so not much Sam. More likely to find a few good recipes and brew the bejeesus out of em. Guess I'm a Kock kinda guy, with a little of the others mixed in.

I'm a Sam, if I dare say so myself. I love to experiment, and I'm always looking at things wondering how I can modify them for brewing. I think I have tentative plans for about 8 different types of brew rigs, and I would love to build all of them....

Need I answer? Charlie P. I like learning all of science/theory behind the brewing. Then for brewday I boiling that down to a simple, "I'm going to do this," step. And if I f up that step, I RDWHAHB.

Charlie P mostly for me. I like reading up on the science of brewing, but I highly doubt I'll ever understand water as well as Palmer. I like looking for things to add to my arsenal, but mostly on brew day it's pretty common stuff going on.

And after meeting Yooper in person, I simply cannot fathom her being calm on brew day!

I had to say Ringo.... I don't brew like any of them but all of them if that makes sense. On some beers I will follow my recipe to the letter and stress out if the mash is off by a degree.Like ones for Thanksgiving/Christmas or Weddings I need it to be spot on .

While other times I will look at the mash and just grind up chocolate or carared just to see what would happen .. Hay its only 20 bucks or so and if its a little off who cares .

And I always look at things and say I wonder how it would taste or can I make beer in it.

As the others I think I'm a mix, but I chose Palmer in the poll. I get deep into the science discussions, but only so I can get them figured out, put them in my process and forget about it and brew. Yes I want to make great beer so I'm dealing with water chemistry and all the other factors, but once I get my water additions nailed down per style, I can just add those to each recipe and not have to think about it again. I'm all for getting my process as efficient and easy as possible so I can sit back and relax. So Palmer till I get it figured out, then I can Charlie around.

Other, but Ringo just doesn't say it.

I make a large range of beers, but know enough about brewing that throwing something together doesn't appeal. I know what parameters need to be closely controlled and which ones don't, and act accordingly.
I make consistently good beers, but almost never brew a beer exactly the same way. And even though I tend to brew to style, I never enter contests. I care about what I drink, and not even slightly about what someone else is having. I don't have hassles in restaurants, because if it isn't Mexican or a pizza, I'm eating in a brewpub.

Zapap, Although I am a geek for the technical stuff.
Even though I am preparing for only my 5th and 6th batches, I find myself approaching it like I do with food; What flavors will work, how can I tweek a recipe and come up with something I can't get somewhere else?
My entire kitchen gets soaked with sanitizer and I go through way too much Iodophor, but other than that, I just really enjoy the process. Including bottling.

I voted Charlie.

I don't use a hydrometer anymore. I have a recipe, I follow the recipe, and the beer is what the recipe called for.

It's like a baker testing the density of the cake to see if it's "perfect." If it tastes good, I'm drinking it.

I lean more toward Calagione (in spirit) with a bit of Papazian thrown in.

Regardless of others opinions on DFH and their style of brewing, I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for them. I am always thinking of throwing unique things into a batch, but due to my brew schedule rarely do. If it is even remotely fathomable, Sam C will give it a shot.

I side with Charlie P too, as I don't care if I hit my gravities dead on, I don't watch the beer ferment once it gets going, and I while I like to turn out a quality product, I will still drink a beer that isn't perfect.

Brew science is interesting and I respect those who go that route. But equally good beer can be made by the guy who just follows the basics or the guy who worries about his water report, yeast growth rates, stir plate RPM, etc... I honestly think some people over obsess with the scientific aspects of brewing, and that tranfers over to the new guy who is worried about his water report on his first extract batch. Chill.

I am always tasting a beer and thinking, what could be different here, what would make this totally awesome. I rarely connect with craft and micro brewers, but I was so adamant recently about DFH brewing a imperial pumpkin ale using the Palo Santo Marron as a base that I e-mailed them about it. Sam Calagione himself e-mailed me back. Won't be happening as the Palo Santo tanks are in full use just to keep that beer going.

Well, enough of my rambling.

I voted Charlie. I stopped worrying years ago. I brew it, put it in the fermenter, pitch the yeast, and let it go.

But I have a little of Jim Koch in me, too. I don't go for anything funky (very often) and I have my "house brews" which because of sheer repetition come out very consistent. And those of my friends that enjoy homebrew like mine the best. *breaks arm whilst patting self on back*

I lean more toward Calagione (in spirit) with a bit of Papazian thrown in.

Regardless of others opinions on DFH and their style of brewing, I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for them. I am always thinking of throwing unique things into a batch, but due to my brew schedule rarely do. If it is even remotely fathomable, Sam C will give it a shot.

I side with Charlie P too, as I don't care if I hit my gravities dead on, I don't watch the beer ferment once it gets going, and I while I like to turn out a quality product, I will still drink a beer that isn't perfect.

Brew science is interesting and I respect those who go that route. But equally good beer can be made by the guy who just follows the basics or the guy who worries about his water report, yeast growth rates, stir plate RPM, etc... I honestly think some people over obsess with the scientific aspects of brewing, and that tranfers over to the new guy who is worried about his water report on his first extract batch. Chill.

I am always tasting a beer and thinking, what could be different here, what would make this totally awesome. I rarely connect with craft and micro brewers, but I was so adamant recently about DFH brewing a imperial pumpkin ale using the Palo Santo Marron as a base that I e-mailed them about it. Sam Calagione himself e-mailed me back. Won't be happening as the Palo Santo tanks are in full use just to keep that beer going.

Well, enough of my rambling.

I think I couldn't agree with all of your ramblings more. It's kinda like a clone of my thoughts as well. :mug:

And after meeting Yooper in person, I simply cannot fathom her being calm on brew day!

But, see, that's why I love to brew. It's why some people love to golf, or why some people love to fly. Brewing relaxes me beyond all else. I mean, it totally relaxes me.

I go from a hyperactive sort (I believe it was Bernie_Brewer who christened me a "coked up chipmunk") to a calm, zen-like being. It's amazing the calm that just descends on me during brewday. It's like I'm channeling Papa Charlie, and I don't even drink until I turn on the chiller!

I sure as heck don't relax so Charlie's out of the picture. I would say I'm mainlyly Sam Calagione without the arrogant attitude. I'm always walking around looking at things and sayng, "I wonder if that's fermentable". Hell I just used a pumpkin as a tertiary for my Pumpkin Ale. I also have the consistancy of Sam Adams with just a sprinkling of John Palmer.

I wrestled over the decision between Papa Charlie and Sam C. Sam C is definitely an innovator, but most of his work has been in crafting unique recipes and not so much in unique equipment (the Randall and continuous hop gadget being notable exceptions). I think I'm more of a Papa Charlie, who did a lot of problem solving and improvising when the equipment he needed and/or wanted wasn't for sale.

While other times I will look at the mash and just grind up chocolate or carared just to see what would happen .. Hay its only 20 bucks or so and if its a little off who cares .

OMG, I would faint if I saw you do that, or hit you with a bat and stuff you in the mash tun.

I'm follow the recipe to the letter Charlie, whoever the hell that is.

I think I'll start a which dog do you most resemble thread.:rolleyes:

I wrestled over the decision between Papa Charlie and Sam C. Sam C is definitely an innovator, but most of his work has been in crafting unique recipes and not so much in unique equipment (the Randall and continuous hop gadget being notable exceptions). I think I'm more of a Papa Charlie, who did a lot of problem solving and improvising when the equipment he needed and/or wanted wasn't for sale.

Wow that is really funny, I see you as a Palmer more than anything...you're one of the smartest guys on here. But I guess you're right, because you are a mcgyver...and that would fall heavily into the calagione archetype, being inventive whether it is with recipes or with gear.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back