Which Brewer are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, which brewer best matches your personality or brewing style.

• Charlie Papazian

• John Palmer

• Jim Koch

• sam calagione

• Ringo, of course.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm like a palmer right now, mostly cause I've read his book cover to cover a few times, and I'm still new and learning all the aspects of brewing. And so when I brew I tend to be kinda a perfectionist. I suppose when I get the process down I'll turn more into a Papa.

I think I am a pretty even mix of Calagione and Papazian.

I always end up throwing random crap in my beer, and I never really worry about it!

I'd say Drew Carey just because I have a tall lanky friend that is always with me.

I chose Jim Koch because I have a feeling we think alike about some things. Having said that, Charlie Papazian is my idol. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing got me addicted and I will always feel indebted to Charlie for introducing me to the greatest hobby on the planet. :mug:

I'm liking this! It is interesting to see what "mizes" you all choose....

It's also surprising that some many claim to be charlies.....But perhaps most that have chosen him are more experienced brewers who are, like me, more relaxed about the process?

Papazian!
Thank_you_Charlie_Papazian.jpg

BTW, Revvy: what a great thread idea!

Papazian, with Palmer peering over his shoulder saying "are you SURE thats right?".

I'm papa z in everything I do. If I were more laid back, i'd be asleep. The science is cool, and understanding it can def be used to improve ones process, but I don't stress over anything. I guess you could say I'm a "glass half full" type of guy.
I'm not Lebowski, you're Lebowski man, I'm the dude.

Zombiethread!

I'm a C. Pap brewer.... KISS and relax

EDIT: But I do have a slight streak of Sam C. Every now and then I have the urge to make an odd beer. I plan on making a small batch of chica once I find a store in town that carries peruvian purple corn.

I have been protesting this thread for 2+ years because Schramm wasn't a choice! :D

Schramm's not a brewer, he's a mead maker...Mazer?

I think I've growed up and changed, I think I'm 70% Papazian and 30% Caligione, I've burned all the Palmer out of me having to answer all the the "Palmer says my yeast if going to autolize, I'm going to get hotside aeration and my hair is going to fall out panic noob threads."

I'm laid back in what I do, and I love to experiment.

Schramm's not a brewer, he's a mead maker...Mazer?

Yes, technically, but (follow me here; it's a stretch! :D) the "B" in BJCP equals beer, so hence anything that is judged under BJCP would be brewed, so hence anything that was brewed would be made by a brewer, and BJCP categories 24-26 are meads. Hence a mead made by a brewer? Afterall, it is BJCP not BMCJCP :fro:

;)

Yes, technically, but (follow me here; it's a stretch! :D) the "B" in BJCP equals beer, so hence anything that is judged under BJCP would be brewed, so hence anything that was brewed would be made by a brewer, and BJCP categories 24-26 are meads. Hence a mead made by a brewer? Afterall, it is BJCP not BMCJCP :fro:

;)

You are right.

That was a stretch.

I do not have photo shop but imagine my avatar with John Palmers glasses and that would be close to my brewing style:ban:.

I'd be a mixture of Sam and Charlie. I like to experiment with beer and come up with plenty of non traditional recipes, however I view this as a hobby and something to have fun at. If I screw things up, oh well. As long as it makes good beer and I have fun doing it I see no issues. On top of that, I've always had a creative mind and this is just one more way of exercising that creativity.

I chose Papazian for the majority, but wavering between Koch and Calagione for the remainder. I'll occasionally experiment a bit, but I really never go off the deep end and try to make an "Imperial dry-hopped-strawberry-mocha-dandelion mild". ;)

Overall, this is just a hobby for me, and if it stops being fun, it doesn't seem worth doing anymore. I try to stay laid back, and even if I screw up a little, I'll probably still drink it, because dammit, it's still beer and I made it!

You know who was a pederast? The Jesus. I'm not kidding...he had to go door to door....

8 year olds, Dude.

KayaBrew said:
You know who was a pederast? The Jesus. I'm not kidding...he had to go door to door....

8 year olds, Dude.

"You said it man, nobody f@#ks with The Jesus"

Sorry off topic, but I love that flick

gotta go with charlie.

i got two kids and a pregnant wife, and she goes to school full time. if i DO get a chance to brew i try to relax as much as i can. i'd probably get more into it if i had the time and money though.

I'm Charlie P because I'm too new to brewing (1 year in).

I don't know enough to be a Palmer.

I haven't brewed the same beer twice, so I can say how consistant I am. So I'm not a Jim Koch.

Sam C? Not yet, but maybe in the future.

But I DO have a song about an octopus...so maybe Ringo.

To me, brewing is a therapeutic thing to do to unwind on the weekends. I like to escape from all the stress of work and decompress. So put me in the Charlie camp in this regard.

Most of my experimentation was done long ago. I know what I like and what I don't. So I'd say I'm no Sam.

I appreciate Palmer, but I also have a career that is 100% science in the office all week long, so I don't want to do water titrations or determine alpha acids via liquid chromatography. Not a bunch of Palmer.

I make consistently good beer, reproducible from batch to batch and it's something I like. So, Mr. Koch would apply as well.

I guess I'd rate myself as: 50% Papazian, 40% Koch, 10% Palmer.

Edit to say that Ringo should not even be a choice. Everyone knows it was John and George! :D

RDWHAHB. When a hobby seems more like work than fun, it doesn't last long as a hobby with me. That's not to say that there isn't work in this hobby, there is; but it doesn't SEEM like work to me, so it's still fun. Not sure if that makes sense to anybody else, but it does to me & that's really all that counts.
Regards, GF.

I revise my original statement from 2 years ago. I'm Charlie when I want to be, Palmer when I have to be. And a dash of Sam in there with my careless abandon for not-to-style recipes.

I am definitely a Charlie brewer. I pay attention, but don't sweat it. I am not Sam, but I am beginning to think that way a little. I am not Palmer, because I am not smart enough.
I would like to give some props to Jim Koch. He (they?) are doing more and more to keep their hand in the game. It has to be hard to keep up with Founder's, Southern Tier, Three Floyd's, Stone... and still be the big, middle-of-the-road.

Even though I'm mostly a vintner (at least so far), I would be more towards John Palmer. I really like the technical stuff ... own/use a microscope on occasion ... am picky about the details.

I originally got into fermenting things not so much so I'd have stuff to drink (I can go to the store for that) but for primarily for the challenge, and as well for a creative outlet.

I'm also into the whole historical thing of brewing and vinting ... huge fan of history in general.
And having been an executive chef long ago and come from a family of restauranteurs, that's also part of it too. So it's not just all a technical thing for me.

I'm definitly a Charlie. I brew for the enjoyment and the challenge, if something doesn't go the way I want, no big deal, it'll all work out in the end. That and no matter how many batches i've made I'm still amazed that they turn out as highly drinkable beer.

It seems to me the self-evaluations on this thread are a touch confused, because the four brewers we're deciding between have non-mutually exclusive attributes.

Basically, we're evaluating our locations on two different axis. There is the Palmer/Papazian axis, which measures one's attention to detail during the brewing and fermentation process. We could call it the rigorous/relaxed axis. Then, separately from that, we have the Koch/Calagione axis, which measures the conventionality of one's recipe formulation. We could call it the innovator/traditionalist axis.

The four brewers mentioned were aptly choosen. They represent a wide spectrum of brewing practices and impulses. I think the system I outline above clarifies why this is so. Situating yourself somewhere on these two axis could be a quite effective method of summarizing your brewing style; I encourage everyone to try!

I'm about two-thirds of the way towards Traditionalist on that axis. I bet most people know about where I am on the other, due to this post :) I RDWHAHB, but only after I understand everything that's happening.

Did I just suck the fun out of everything?

Back