fermenting apple slices safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phattnug

Reaction score
hey guys first post here :fro: ive started brewing/fermenting first time today i was wondering if it is possible for my sugar, bakers yeast, water and apple slices to produce dangerous amount of methanol? or this will be entirely safe to drink?

Thanks guys :rockin:

Safe to drink? Yep.

Good to drink? I guess you'll find out in a couple weeks but I doubt it ;)
I would very much suggest that you change that bakers yeast over to a dry brewers yeast (US-05 is a good neutral one).

Safe to drink? Yep.

Good to drink? I guess you'll find out in a couple weeks but I doubt it ;)
I would very much suggest that you change that bakers yeast over to a dry brewers yeast (US-05 is a good neutral one).

Great! Looks like i got a unknown tasting beverage to try out haha :ban:

thanks for the suggestion on changing yeasts i will have to see if my local brew shop has some of that yeast available on hand hopefully get a better tasting brew from it.

Thanks for your reply friend stay drinkin

Great! Looks like i got a unknown tasting beverage to try out haha :ban:

thanks for the suggestion on changing yeasts i will have to see if my local brew shop has some of that yeast available on hand hopefully get a better tasting brew from it.

Thanks for your reply friend stay drinkin

Edit: Just one more question before i finish watching two and a half men a fall asleep :p no harmful bacteria can grow in my brew right :confused:

Cheers stay drinkin

Edit: Just one more question before i finish watching two and a half men a fall asleep :p no harmful bacteria can grow in my brew right :confused:

Cheers stay drinkin

Not to any harmful level. Beer as a pretty low pH which, along with the hops and alcohol, suppresses the growth of pathogenic bacteria.

Not to any harmful level. Beer as a pretty low pH which, along with the hops and alcohol, suppresses the growth of pathogenic bacteria.
The poster isn't making wort, he's fermenting sugar water with apple slices. Who knows what the PH is, there aren't any hops involved, and we don't know anything about the sanatization practices that were used. Probably isn't going to kill anybody but we don't have enough information to render judgment.

There's a cider forum here, it's entirely possible to make something decent from preservative free store bought juice. I like a different dry yeast (Nottingham rather than US-05) but it probably would work well too. Avoiding wine/champagne yeasts will yield better results too.

The poster isn't making wort, he's fermenting sugar water with apple slices. Who knows what the PH is, there aren't any hops involved, and we don't know anything about the sanatization practices that were used. Probably isn't going to kill anybody but we don't have enough information to render judgment.

There's a cider forum here, it's entirely possible to make something decent from preservative free store bought juice. I like a different dry yeast (Nottingham rather than US-05) but it probably would work well too. Avoiding wine/champagne yeasts will yield better results too.

That's a good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back