Pickled Eggs, Beer Cheese, and McSorley's Cheddar Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone here like pickled eggs?

I just started making them because I was tired of getting up and cooking eggs. When I started eating them I realized they would go really well with beer. And they do. Wonderful combination.

I can't say I have a real recipe. I took the basic pickling juice formula from the web. After that, you just add anything you want.

INGREDIENTS

1-1/2 cups vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt

I added a big clove of garlic, pressed, plus a lot of hot sauce and chipotle powder. Also celery seed. I think you could reduce the sugar and do a little better.

Having done this a few times, I think it's probably best to apply the hot stuff before pickling. If you put it in the solution, you need a tremendous amount, because it's so diluted. Next time I plan to slather the boiled eggs in some kind of hot sauce and let them sit for a day. Then I'll dump the whole mess into the pickling solution.

This goes really well with crackers and Kentucky beer cheese.

I think the big danger, apart from constipation, is that the combination of live yeast, egg yolks, mustard in the beer cheese, garlic, and hot sauce could cause farts that would bleach your wallpaper or possibly replace a plasma cutter.

Another beer companion I really like: the classic cheddar plate. When I was a kid, I used to go to McSorley's Old Ale House with my friends and get obliterated. They used to serve simple sandwiches and the cheddar plate: sliced white cheddar, crackers, thinly-sliced onions, and Colman's. I think Colman's is overkill because if you exhale at the wrong time, it will actually set fire to your nose hairs, but if you cut it half and half with Gulden's or some other human-safe mustard, it's great.

I add jalapeno or scotch bonnet to mine to get more heat into them, and yes the farts are ... intense. We have chickens so I started finding different ways to not only use but preserve them when I have and abundance.

20231029_204744.jpg

My father had made pickled eggs since I was a kid. Always took them on hunting and fishing trips. Instead of sugar he used a can of red sliced beets and juice for sweetness. I have been making them for my trips for the last 45 years.

I love pickled eggs and have a jar on the bar occasionally. Pickled sausage is another tasty item to go with the eggs and beer.

All that and pizza, nothing much else matters!

i love and miss mcsorleys cheese plate. i think i may have to go back soon. i havent been in over 20 years. the crackers were saltines iirc. i didn't know that the mustard was colmans only that it was hot deli style and it was served in one of there beer mugs. do you remember the bartender pepe and patty the waiter. ( although i think every waiter there could have been named patty) . i remember the payphone on the wall that doubled as the bars phone number. whoever sat closest would have to answer it. i remember when my older brothers complained that they put a womens bathroom in. the chili was also very good. macsorleys was the first dark beer i tried and the only dark available until heinekin dark and guiness started to be sold in stores. i remember getting carded and refused entrance when i was 16. but then mostly living there in college when i was 18 . i prolly could have gotten my mail delivered there. the beers were ridiculously cheap 150 a glass. they later went up to 2 dollars but the glasses also got progressively smaller until in the 80s and 90s they were only 6 ounces maybe 4 . we used to order them in the 5s or 10's . ie let me get 5 darks and 5 lights. the beer was super smooth and crushable and you could down several without noticing the abv until it was too late. and the train ride home never went well. lol.
very fond memories. thank you.

i wonder if theres a good clone for macs dark?

sorry to derail the picketed eggs

cheers

1698679072820.png

Attachments

• 1698678848727.png
    1698678848727.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have chickens, too, and love pickled eggs! My recipe calls for mild mustard, (stirred slowly into the vinegar) and mustard seed. I add 6 cloves of garlic, and slice up a couple onions in there as well. I just add a couple spoonfuls of pickled jalapeños from a separate jar when serving.
Yes, the addition of cheese and beer will yield a plasma cutter, but add in sardines and you have a weapon that will clear a battlefield!

Back