Your favorite top five beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call every bar you know of that has a RR account and ask if they're getting Younger. See if they'll tell you when if they are. Get there way early. It's tap only and the majority of the batch gets served at the brew pub, so not many accounts get it and they don't get very much if they do.

I've got a list of a few bars in Seattle that got it last year so I'm hoping to score when they get it this year. I've heard great things about the Younger, just hoping I can experience for myself.

Please all try to find Fullers ESB. (Fullers brewery, Chiswick, London, England.)

In the L.A. and surrounding area it can be had from BevMo in 500cc bottles at cheaper prices than it is sold for in London. (How the hell do they do that?)

May I respectfully suggest you arm yourself with at least 3 bottles, (each) then once at serving temperature, drink them all during a lazy afternoon when you don't have much on, and then evaluate the "warm British beer" experience. I know it may seem strange to some, but it is vital that it is served at about 55 degrees, and not frozen to within an inch of it's life!!!

Anyone who follows this through to the letter should be amply rewarded with a big stupid smile, and malty tastes to die for!!!

Oh, then

Fullers London Pride,
Marston's Pedigree,
Courage Directors,
Fullers Golden pride (expensive)

The British Pub a few blocks from my house has Fullers ESB on cask. Couldn't agree more about how delicious it is. I would kill for that kind of malt taste

Heady Topper
La Fin Du Monde
Unibroue Terrible
Celebration Ale
Chimay Cinq Cents

La Fin Du Monde is way underrated.
I can't see if one loves La Fin Du Monde how he can't love Chimay (though my favorite is the Grand Reserve)
In these two beers rest the judgement of all other beers to me..

Jolly Pumpkin luciernaga

Stillwater cellar door

Bruery saison de lente

Schlenkerla marten rauchbier

Bells expedition stout

DFH Olde School (one bottle left, its been cellared for 2 years)
Rochefort 10
Chimay blue
La Fin Du Monde
Wyerbacher Blithering Idiot

All of these can be blamed for the 25 lb growth spurt.

I love it.

Lagunitas Imperial red
Surly Furious
2nd Shift Brew Cocky (falconer flight hops, yum)
Schlafly TIPA
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Brother Thelonious

Yea, I picked 6, but isn't that the number we should be using anyway?

Also, a beer does not go onto my list unless I've had it multiple times. Sorry rare beers that I have loved. I cannot be as sure of you.

No order

Goose Island 312
Blue Moon
Chi Town Lake Shore Lager
Boulevard Amber Ale
Anything Shocktop

Top Five Beers (no order):
1. Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
2. Sierra Nevada Celebration
3. Deschutes Jubelale
4. Table Rock Signature Stout (Local)
5. Sierra Nevada Pale
6. Sam Adams Summer

Top Five Brewers
1. Firestone Walker
2. Sierra Nevada
3. Deschutes
4. Rogue (although they lost a lot of respect with the maple bacon)
5. Terminal Gravity

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (Any variation)
Firestone Sucaba
Bruery Melange 3
Bruery Black Tuesday
Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale (Or Imperial Red)

Not necessarily in order

Stone Ruination IPA
Alpine Nelson
Petrus Aged Pale
Alesmith Nautical Nut Brown Ale
Rogue Yellow Snow IPA

1. Wurzburger Hoffbrau: Probably not even what I would consider the "best" beer, but it was the first real beer I ever tasted!
2. Stone Ruination: Read the bottle!
3. Stone Arrogant Bastard: I am not worthy!
4. Smuttynose IPA: Slipping a little since I have found better IPAs, but still good.
5. Bell's Two Hearted Ale: Say YES! to Michigan!

LeFreek said:
Kwak (Bosteels)
Jever pils
Rochefort 10
Baltika Porter (cheap, big Russian bottles)
Yeti Imperial Stout (Great Divide)

Do all these American beers actually exist?

Interesting list. Kwak is an interesting beer. Jever pils is underrated, IMO. But I also love the Baltika #6! A great porter.

1. Wurzburger Hoffbrau: Probably not even what I would consider the "best" beer, but it was the first real beer I ever tasted!
2. Stone Ruination: Read the bottle!
3. Stone Arrogant Bastard: I am not worthy!
4. Smuttynose IPA: Slipping a little since I have found better IPAs, but still good.
5. Bell's Two Hearted Ale: Say YES! to Michigan!

Where did you find the Wurzburger Hoffbrau? I'd like to find it,as my family comes from a town near where it comes from.

My current list (subject to change based on mood)

North Coast Old Rasputin
Jack's Abbey Smoke and Dagger
Oskar Blues Old Chub
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

Rodenbach: Grand Cru
21st Amendment: Marooned on Hog Island
Brooklyn Brewery: Sorachi Ace
Free Will Brewing Co: 10w Porter
Yards: Brawler

La Fin Du Monde is way underrated.
I can't see if one loves La Fin Du Monde how he can't love Chimay (though my favorite is the Grand Reserve)
In these two beers rest the judgement of all other beers to me..

That's odd to me, because I like Chimay a lot, but I cannot stand La Fin Du Monde or Trois Pistoles, despite trying a couple different times. There's something there that I can't quite identify that's just not good. At first I thought it was hops, but my brother (who loves it) claims it's the yeast profile. I don't know.

That's odd to me, because I like Chimay a lot, but I cannot stand La Fin Du Monde or Trois Pistoles, despite trying a couple different times. There's something there that I can't quite identify that's just not good. At first I thought it was hops, but my brother (who loves it) claims it's the yeast profile. I don't know.

LaFin du Monde is stellar. Sublimely smooth for 9%. As smooth as a 5% beer. Not saying you have to like it. Its no Duvel, the benchmark of yum in my book. But still good. I think your dislike could be their spices. I made a tripel with their yeast and its very subdued on the phenols.

Chimay is nice, I agree. A bit heavy on the mouth though. A touch dryer would be nice. But it's still world class in my book.

LaFin du Monde is stellar. Sublimely smooth for 9%. As smooth as a 5% beer. Not saying you have to like it. Its no Duvel, the benchmark of yum in my book. But still good. I think your dislike could be their spices. I made a tripel with their yeast and its very subdued on the phenols.

Chimay is nice, I agree. A bit heavy on the mouth though. A touch dryer would be nice. But it's still world class in my book.

I love Chimay, and Trois Pistoles is very nice... but I don't care for the spices in La Fin Du Monde. I will readily admit that it's a superbly crafted beer, but I just don't like it.

Much like La Chouffe. Coriander just kills it for me.

I like Chimay, Spaten Optimator, Delirium Tremmons, Adventinus, Leff Blonde, (and then more traditional Guiness and any Rye Porter).

In no particular order:

Sam Adams' Oktoberfest
Sam Adams' Boston lager
Sweetwater 420
New Belgium Fat Tire
Coors

They have Duvel at Giant Eagle,but man,that 4 pack is expensive!

Well think of it like this. To get a Best in the World wine, pick any year vintage you want, it will cost you on average $50 a bottle. So you're paying 66.66 per liter. But with Duvel is which truly a Best in the World beer of its kind (golden strong) you're getting an equivalent beer for only $10.66 a liter. I figure a four pack of 375ml is $16.

That's the cool thing about beer and why, in my mind, wine can't touch it. You're getting a very similar product from year to year despite agricultural variations, and you can get a World Class beer for peanuts. Any of the beers listed in this thread are maybe, on the high end, $15-$20 for a 750 ml. Average is probably going to be $8-10 per liter equivalent cost?

That's a hell of a deal.

Well think of it like this. To get a Best in the World wine, pick any year vintage you want, it will cost you on average $50 a bottle. So you're paying 66.66 per liter. But with Duvel is which truly a Best in the World beer of its kind (golden strong) you're getting an equivalent beer for only $10.66 a liter. I figure a four pack of 375ml is $16.

That's the cool thing about beer and why, in my mind, wine can't touch it. You're getting a very similar product from year to year despite agricultural variations, and you can get a World Class beer for peanuts. Any of the beers listed in this thread are maybe, on the high end, $15-$20 for a 750 ml. Average is probably going to be $8-10 per liter equivalent cost?

That's a hell of a deal.

I'm sure it's this area, but $15-20 isn't that high end. I've spent $40-50 for a 750 before.

I'm sure it's this area, but $15-20 isn't that high end. I've spent $40-50 for a 750 before.

Tell me this. If you buy a $50 for a bottle of beer, do they still put it in a paper sack as if you were going to drink it in the car?

Half Acre - Daisy Cutter Pale ale
Boulevard Saison Brett
Lost Abbey Avant Garde
Dogfish Indian Brown
Telluride Brewing Co. RyePA

And putting in a runner up because I can.....
Stone IPA

1, 2, & 3. Capitol Brewery Blonde Dopplebock
4. Westmalle Tripel
5. Westvleteren XII

(6. Pliny the Elder)
(7. New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat)
(8. Bells Hopslam)
(9. Founders KBS)
(10. PBR)

-Russian River Pliny the Younger (substitute Elder year when it's not Feb)

-Firestone Union Jack

-Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin

-Founders Backwoods Bastard

-Black Diamond Brewing Rampage (gotta give it up to the local breweries)

Really would like to try Two hearted and Heady Topper.

Tough choice as it is hard to pick favorites but here they are at this given time/space:

Brasserie DuPont "Moinette"
Upland Brewing Co. "Komodo Dragonfly"
Me "Sharp Wit"
Sierra Nevada "Pale Ale"
Brugge Brasserie "Gettin Figgy Wit It"

unionrdr said:
Where did you find the Wurzburger Hoffbrau? I'd like to find it,as my family comes from a town near where it comes from.

I occasionally am fortunate enough to find it at one of the local distributors. My local pub routinely has Jever as well, which I also like. Where is your family from?

Back