white bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I couldnt find the thread that was started, but some one was concerned about tiny white bugs on their hops, and ether or not those bugs would cause damage to the hops. I believe that I have had the same tiny white bugs, and I'm reporting that after three weeks there have been no damage to the hops.:ban:

Are you talking about spider mites? There would also be little webs on the bottom of the leaves. They're a disease to hops, and you may want to spray them with an organic pestiside.

I did some more research about the bugs that are on one of my plants, and discovered that they are called white flys. Most of the readings indicate that they're usually found in green houses in so cal, but can be found on outside plants in more temprate climates. They feed off the sap of their host plant, and if are unchecked can kill the plant. The flies will usually be found under the leafs, and will leave a gloosy look at points that they have fead off of. I've read that there are some organic controls that will keep them at bay, and that an easy way to kill them is w/ soapy water in a spray bottle. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of these punks? I'm going to try the dish soap, and will report back with my findings.

Soapy water will do the trick. Be thourough, top and bottom of leaves and it will probably take repeated applications. We had white flies on our sweet potato vines and green beans earlier this year and that seemed to do the trick. I've heard lady bugs will also eat white flies, aphids and spider mites. I've never tried, but there are places online where you can order literally thousands of lady bugs and release them to eat the pests.

http://www.gardeninsects.com/ladybugs.asp

This morning i snuck up to my hop plant and sprayed the undersides of the leave, and as soon as those little bugs took off they immediately and literaly dropped like white flies. I let the soapy water stay in contact with the leaves for about ten minutes and then gave it a good washing. I checked my plant this afternoon, and instead of seeing hundreds of tiny flies I saw maybe ten. Who wouda thought soapy water.

Back