Solera guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirrels

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a final beer in my 15 gallon barrel before I move the barrel into a Solera sour project.

For those who have done this, what advice would you give your future self?

I'm planning on starting with a Dupontesque Saison as the beer going into the fermenter after clean fermentation. Then adding the bugs (lacto and brett). Let it age, pull out 5 gallons at a time, and refill the barrel after each pull.

I currently have 3 batches bottled , one on fruit and one in the barrel. I think you need to concentrate on 2 parameters,1- keep the hops to a minimum. I screwed up and added too many IBU's to the 4 batch and when we went to put it on fruit it was more lacto then bret. I think I killed the bret and so the 5 th batch will be the same. We will empty ,clean,sanitize and reinfect in Nov.
My basic recipe is 50/50 barley malt and wheat,the wheat is 50/50 malt/flakes. I mash at 160 and use 2565 as my primary and try to get it to finish at 1.020. It has a very bready flavor that is there after bottle conditioning.
It's important to pay attention to the little things because of the long time ,so stability is your friend. I'm looking at you HSA. I don't do 100%LODO,but I try to minimize O2 everywhere but beginning fermentation.

Latest posts

Back