Whites flakes in Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewer2008

Reaction score
Hello, I have been brewing for a while, but this was my first NEIPA (Fruit Bazooka NEIPA - All Grain from Northern Brewer). Used Omega OYL-2-- Tropical IPA yeast. Left it in fermenter for just over 4 weeks at 73 degrees Fahrenheit, dry hopped after one week and then 10 ago. Noticed these white flakes floating on top today as I was getting ready to keg it. Never ever seen this before. Is this normal for a NEIPA? Is this mold and unsafe to consume? It smells quite fruity, not sour or anything. Thank you for any feedback.
IMG-0508.jpg

Few infections are ever toxic. Many will ruin the taste. Some will add a pleasant hint of tartness or sourness to your beer.

If that is a infection, it doesn't look like it even got off to a good start. So likely you won't even notice anything.

If you are going to bottle it, then be certain it has reached FG. Infections will typically ferment it way lower than the predicted/expected FG. Probably not as big a issue for kegging.

Few infections are ever toxic. Many will ruin the taste. Some will add a pleasant hint of tartness or sourness to your beer.

If that is a infection, it doesn't look like it even got off to a good start. So likely you won't even notice anything.

If you are going to bottle it, then be certain it has reached FG. Infections will typically ferment it way lower than the predicted/expected FG. Probably not as big a issue for kegging.
Thank you. I am kegging it.

Thank you. I am kegging it.

Might be young Lacto infection. Drink it up within the next couple months and you won't notice. Age some for 6-12 months and it might start to go sour or funky, maybe, maybe not.
Thanks. If it tastes as good as it smells it'll probably gone in a month or less.

Back