grain weevils in my stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah...that scoop gets passed around plenty.

but do weevils even like dark malts? Is there anything for them?

The main reason those sealed containers could be exempt from bug infestations is that they're well closed.
But it's possible a measuring scoop used in all bins could contaminate others by transferring a few grains containing weevil eggs.

I had a small weevil take over in a few small paper bags with a variety of unmalted grain I had bought at Whole Foods, They were inside a storage tote, my dog heard them rustling, staring at the totes, which got my attention. Some were crawling out when I opened it.

I've had a larger grain moth infestation that I reckon rode in with a sack of Crisp Pale Malt... 3 weeks in the freezer was definitely the best strategy to eliminate them. And keeping a keen eye out ever since...
Good dogo!

bay leaves? really? I wonder what it is about bay leaves?

what about mint? I have mint plants.

well...Walmart has fresh bay leaves for $1.08 a pack. I figure fresh wet leaves will have better repellant powers

but do weevils even like dark malts? Is there anything for them?
They do not. I had an in infestation in my grain closet (RIP), and only the lighter grains were affected. I can't tell you the cut-off lovibond - yea, should have made a science out of it at the time.

And yes, freezing kills them and their eggs based on my experience.

1693264691083.png

Per orders from the first sgt, grains have moved out of the house. When the infestation took hold, it did extend from that grain closet to the kitchen. Gah. They get everywhere. Keep an eye out!

390594-716686011-icon-32427.gif
Damn you, Passed... sitting outside at dusk and spent 10 seconds trying to kill that bug on my screen...:ghostly::agressive:

They do not. I can't tell you the cut-off lovibond - yea, should have made a science out of it at the time.
I wonder if the kilning hardens or somehow changes the starch (potential sugars) into something the weevils can't eat?

I think all my base malts are 10L or less except the dark munich.

some of my specialty malts are as low as 20L but they were sealed with gama lids. probably not infected.

But it would be nice to know the lovibond level at which they are no longer an issue.

Last edited:
well...I dug thru every bucket with a gamma lid....22 buckets...

some with smaller quantities of base malts, some low lovibond malts, crystal, dark crystal, choc and black, red wheat, flaked oats, etc...

not one sign of any weevil activity.

Gamma lids on 5 gal buckets work.

getting 365mm o-rings for my huge 55# buckets of base malts after the big freeze is over.

Since you're storing all this in gamma lid buckets, I would've poured the grain into its bucket and dropped a chunk of dry ice on top. It'll subliminate into CO2 and gas the little buggers to death.

Dry ice in the grain bucket is a prepper trick for long term storage. It not only kills bugs but has the knock-on effect of lowering O2 levels inside as well.

Back