When to dump a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojojones

Reaction score
I was brewing a Belgian blond ale and in transferring it from primary to secondary I noticed an extremely strong smell of almost like a rotten banana smell. Have I lost this batch? I live in so. cal. and the temp got up to 100+ for the first 3 days of fermentation and we did what we could to regulate the temp but the AC was out and the batch temp went from 72-80 degrees over those couple of days. I didn't use a starter for the yeast and it spent a week in primary with little or no bubbles in the airlock. It has been a consistent temp of about 71 degrees for the remainder of the week.

Thanks

Well, you're going to get some funky flavors (at least initially) from underpitching and overheating. Expect for it to sit in the bottles for at least 2-3 months before those settle out a bit, but I imagine it'll be pretty tasty when all's said and done.

Also, screw the airlock. It's a cheap piece of plastic, and it knows nothing. Rely instead on your hydrometer (which you do have, or else you're going out to get one right now) which is a calibrated scientific measuring device.

Oh, and control those fermentation temps and start making starters or switch to dry yeast.

As this is my second batch I figured that I could get away with out a hydrometer but I am really beginning to understand the necessity of one. I plan on using starters from here on out as the more I read the better it sounds and it doesn't seem like to extraneous a step to take if planned properly.

In regards to controlling the temp I wouldn't mind buying a small refrigerator but worry that it would actually be to cold for ales and higher temp fermenting as 65-75 is way to warm for food. I don't want anything as expensive as a wine chiller so if you have a recommendations that would be great.

i wait atleast 6 months. I had a wheat which the same thing happened, and i still havent dumped. It doesnt mean its good but until i need the bottles theres nothing i feel like doing. ALso remember that smell isn't a good indication of if the beers spoiled. ALWAYS taste....Even then i usually bottle. I brewed a AHB Chocolate stout and racked onto real rasberries but i added too much. Tasted horrible. Honestly satans anus status. Waited 8 months and it is way way better. Still meh but drinkable and much better than before when it wasn't drinkable in the least.

I was brewing a Belgian blond ale and in transferring it from primary to secondary I noticed an extremely strong smell of almost like a rotten banana smell. Have I lost this batch? I live in so. cal. and the temp got up to 100+ for the first 3 days of fermentation and we did what we could to regulate the temp but the AC was out and the batch temp went from 72-80 degrees over those couple of days. I didn't use a starter for the yeast and it spent a week in primary with little or no bubbles in the airlock. It has been a consistent temp of about 71 degrees for the remainder of the week.

Thanks
Have you heard of the "swamp cooler method" of maintaining ferm temps?It's basically putting your fermenter in a tub of water and adding frozen water bottles to the tub to cool the ferm temps.

how reliable is the swamp cooler method? After my original post I did some searching and saw that method used a lot but wondered at how reliable and consistent it can be with regards to temp. I am out for the better part of the day with work so if it needs new ice, or what have you, on a regular basis then I wouldn't be able to change it. Is there predictability in attaining a particular temp?

In searching it obviously works, just wondering if there are any tricks to the trade?

with regards to refrigeration, does anyone know of a good mini fridge that works well for the riggers of primary fermentation? Most would seem on the surface to be too cold for most ales as food is general not stored at 60 degrees + so something with a wider range of variability would probably be best. I looked at some wine chillers but most had a the controls integrally placed in the center of the cooling area and didn't provide enough space to place a primary fermenter.

Thanks

I'm a total n00b but from everything I read it seems there really isn't a point where you should just toss it out. Save it and it may take a bit longer, but it might turn out just fine. Unless you really need the bottles, but I'd say it's worth having to buy some to see how this ends up.

how reliable is the swamp cooler method? After my original post I did some searching and saw that method used a lot but wondered at how reliable and consistent it can be with regards to temp. I am out for the better part of the day with work so if it needs new ice, or what have you, on a regular basis then I wouldn't be able to change it. Is there predictability in attaining a particular temp?

In searching it obviously works, just wondering if there are any tricks to the trade?

with regards to refrigeration, does anyone know of a good mini fridge that works well for the riggers of primary fermentation? Most would seem on the surface to be too cold for most ales as food is general not stored at 60 degrees + so something with a wider range of variability would probably be best. I looked at some wine chillers but most had a the controls integrally placed in the center of the cooling area and didn't provide enough space to place a primary fermenter.

Thanks

Just the fact that your fermenter is in a tub of water will help keep the temp from swinging too much when you are at work.Think about how long it takes for a large volume of water to heat up or cool down.Lots of working people use the swamp cooler w/ good results.
I however do not b/c I have a Haier wine fridge w/ adj. temp range 65-45F and a 6.5gal bucket will fit in it.
I also have a full size fridge w/ a $50 temp controller available from any good HBS.Cheap fridge cost $35 at yd. sale and some can be had for free just for hauling off.

I'm usually of the consensus that time heals most ales :) But I have a batch that crossed the line. No infection here, and my ferment temps were in the mid 60's. This was an IPA.

So I give a cooled sample to my trusted tasting wenches, and they both remarked that it tasted kinda like ...ummmm..... "boy butter" ....

This one won't make it to the keg.

i am also of the OPINION that the flavors from fermenting at too high of a temp are not palatable. others might like the fruity off flavors but i cant handle it. not when there is too much other good home brew lying around. JMO

i am also of the OPINION that the flavors from fermenting at too high of a temp are not palatable. others might like the fruity off flavors but i cant handle it. not when there is too much other good home brew lying around. JMO

agreed. You get much cleaner flavored beer when you ferment below 70ish. Saisons and some trappist are the exception when they can go as high as 85 or 90 degrees...

Latest posts

Back