New to Cider making - sulfur smell I know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zosimus

Reaction score
So I just wanted to do experiment on doing cider so I bought some grocery store apple juice and POG juice. I made sure there weren't any preservatives in them and it was good juice for this.

I used Red Star Premier cuvee and yeast nutrients, woke up the yeast and did a good shake for waking the little yeastys up.
All sanitized. This isn't my first brew, but is my 2nd attempt at cider. I also added a bit more yeast nutrients like 3 days in.

It's now been almost 2 weeks and for 4+ days now I've been smelling a strong sulfur smell from the carboy. Fermentation is at least very slowed and my temp range is 65-72 which is in the range for premier cuvee as far as I can tell.

The sulfur smells don't seem to be going away though. I've heard that some people fix it with racking to another container and hoping the air kind of cleans the smell but I'm worried about oxygenation. I also don't have many other fermenters to move it to so I'm avoiding that.

Any suggestions from anyone. It's almost at 2 weeks and I feel like fermentation isn't really going.

This is normal. Leave it alone for a few more weeks. I usually leave a cider alone for a good 5 or 6 weeks before even thinking about doing anything with it. The sulfur will gas off or be reabsorbed by the yeast given enough time to do so. It's fine to just leave it.

So I just wanted to do experiment on doing cider so I bought some grocery store apple juice and POG juice. I made sure there weren't any preservatives in them and it was good juice for this.

I used Red Star Premier cuvee and yeast nutrients, woke up the yeast and did a good shake for waking the little yeastys up.
All sanitized. This isn't my first brew, but is my 2nd attempt at cider. I also added a bit more yeast nutrients like 3 days in.

It's now been almost 2 weeks and for 4+ days now I've been smelling a strong sulfur smell from the carboy. Fermentation is at least very slowed and my temp range is 65-72 which is in the range for premier cuvee as far as I can tell.

The sulfur smells don't seem to be going away though. I've heard that some people fix it with racking to another container and hoping the air kind of cleans the smell but I'm worried about oxygenation. I also don't have many other fermenters to move it to so I'm avoiding that.

Any suggestions from anyone. It's almost at 2 weeks and I feel like fermentation isn't really going.
Update on this,
I checked gravity and it's sitting at 1.002.
Still smells like sulfur and after a quick taste, it's not so great. Pretty sour and can taste the smell.

Has anyone fermented with citrus? I fermented with some citrus so I wonder if that has something to do with the sour. I don't think it's infected but I could be wrong

Hello... my 2nd batch of hard Cider.. but im getting a sulfur smell.... used pasteurizedApple apple cider, EC-1118 yeast, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient.... fermented for 7 days to 1.001... ideas how to get rid of the smell... doesn't taste real bad.. seems to be more smell... and it's a 1 gallon batch... Any help is appreciated! !
My case is interesting. At first there was a slight sulfur smell. But eventually it disappeared on its own. I didn't do anything about it. So if the smell is not too strong, you can just wait it out.

Back