What is this? with pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sago

Reaction score
I made Irish Stout a month ago and decided to use the extract in a plastic jug I had kept in the cold basement. Made it, seemed fine nothing looked bad or spoiled. Used whirlfloc half tab last 15min and when I cooled it down obviously all the stuff was at the bottom. Dumped the trub in the carboy too. Is this how whirlfloc suppose to make it look? First time using it since stout doesn't count as its soo dark.

20140624_151620.jpg

20140624_151616.jpg

20140624_151611.jpg

That's a crap ton of cold break. I get a lot of that when I use whirlfloc. Even though I strain into the fermenter.

Yep, I was a little freaked out by the whirlfloc break the first time. It will drop to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Holy wow. I use IM instead of whirfloc but I've never had a fermenter full of break. By the time there's an inch of krausen all my break has settled out. That's impressive.
While it's an incredible amount, it just looks like hot/cold break. "Nothing to see here... move along." RDWHAHB

How long has it been in the fermentor?

3 hours, I posted as I finished pouring extra boiled water. The foam is from the splashes so it gets well aerated

Edit: Boiled, cooled water to same temperature as the wort.

That's a crap ton of cold break. I get a lot of that when I use whirlfloc. Even though I strain into the fermenter.

+1

I don't use Whirlfloc every batch, but many of the ones where I do end up looking like that. Don't worry, it'll settle out.

It'll sink and compact down. It may compact really tightly too. The good thing is there are fewer lose proteins to cloudy up your beer!

Back