Hey y’all from Kentucky kombucha gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdubya8080

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m new here and just wanna introduce myself and say helllllo! I’m new to the home brewing stuff and already in love with the process. I started out cultivating mushrooms about three years ago and have become pretty successful in that area. I love the way things like mycology, and home brewing teaches me patience. It isn’t something that has always come naturally for me, and having to wait for the big prize is such a blessing in my life. I have introduced everyone I know to mushroom growing and foraging, and now I am getting into making my own fermented drinks and foods as a way to save money, make more quality fuel for my body, and to become more self sufficient. I have always liked kombucha but not so much love the prices, so I decided to look into making my own and was surprised at the simplicity of the process! So, here I am, currently in the process of making two half gallon jars and one gallon jar of my first kombucha home brews. I have ordered two scobys which cost quite more than I expected but I didn’t know how else to get it started. One of the scoby passed away and the other is in the gallon jug working it’s magic. The two half gallon jars are finally showing signs of life, after about two and a half weeks of waiting and peeking I have started to see some squiggles but no fermentation that looks like a baby scoby forming so idk what to do about those just yet. They were started with a bottled gts kombucha, there is plenty of the mother at the bottom and those jars went from super dark tea to a light golden amber color over the past weeks. Any advice on whether to keep waiting on a scoby or whether to dump and restart would be greatly helpful and appreciated. I like asking for advice from people who really know, rather than just google the question, it seems anybody who can type will act like an expert on whatever subject is at hand and I’m kinda just over that whole thing. The internet is super handy and helpful and amazing…until it’s not. Thanks for reading, I’m sending you all love and peace and positive vibes for your brews and wines and kombuchas and whatever else this amazing site is here to teach us about! Feel free to message me anytime and I’ll gladly beat gums with y’all! Have a safe and wonderful holiday ….. cest fin
Jdubya

Welcome to HomebrewTalk ("HBT")!

You can buy some unpasteurized "buch" and use it as a starter to make more. Over time, a scoby will form in that, and grow with each batch you make. Once it's big enough, you can cut it in half or quarters so you can start more fermenters.

As you've probably seen, we have a dedicated Kombucha forum with plenty of posts and hints on making "buch," grow scobies, taking care of them, etc.

They were started with a bottled gts kombucha, there is plenty of the mother at the bottom and those jars went from super dark tea to a light golden amber color over the past weeks.
The color change is proof that it's fermenting. There may be some foam forming on top too, and you can probably smell a slight sourness.

I have started to see some squiggles
That's probably the beginning of a scoby forming. Just leave it be.

If you think that batch of buch is about done,* you could siphon, up to half of it, from the middle of the jar (halfway between the bottom and top), not disturbing the surface where scoby is forming. Use a racking cane for that. Then top up with fresh tea.

* The longer she ferments, the more sour she'll get.

It's important for the pH to drop faster to prevent odd stuff from happening. I use 10% starter and a scoby(although the scoby is inconsequential) Also the temp should not be lower then 69* or more then 86*(Big Book of Kombucha) Mine finish between 14 and 21 days at 78*.

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor!

If you can't find the answers that you're looking for, post a question. Lots of knowledgeable people on this site willing to help. Keep us posted on your progress.

The color change is proof that it's fermenting. There may be some foam forming on top too, and you can probably smell a slight sourness.

If you think that batch of buch is about done,* you could siphon, up to half of it, from the middle of the jar (halfway between the bottom and top), not disturbing the surface where scoby is forming. Use a racking cane for that. Then top up with fresh tea.

You were right! Shortly after posting, I checked the original jar again and lo and behold, a scoby has formed! It is quite cool in the house- usually between 68-72 degrees, which I imagine slows the process down a bit? But yeah, I am so glad I kept the little squiggles! I am currently making a new batch of tea to use as the 2F for that one. Thanks for the advice and wish me luck!!

SCOBY has formed! Yaaay, I sure wasn’t wanting to toss it out and I’m glad I didn’t. She has come along nicely. Tastes slightly more vinegary than the other that started with scoby I bought online, but I kind of like that taste better. It’s not perfect but it’s my first homegrown scoby and I couldn’t be happier with it! Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice and wish me luck!!
YVW!
With fermenting, patience is a virtue. The microorganisms biologically "know" what to do. It's the key to their existence, and been for millions of years already. We can coax them here and there by offering nutrients, temperature, a suitable or even wonderful environment where they can adapt and thrive, etc.
Otherwise, they're best left alone doing what they do best, as some say: Fermentation happens!

So yes, I'm wishing you good luck with your fermentation explorations, And keep learning.

Tastes slightly more vinegary than the other that started with scoby I bought online, but I kind of like that taste better. It’s not perfect but it’s my first homegrown scoby and I couldn’t be happier with it! Thanks for the advice!
Your "Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast (SCOBY) will be unique in many ways, and becomes different from the one you bought. She's a living organism, adapting to your environment, everything around her plays a role in that.

Take good care of her, a happy SCOBY makes good buch!
IIRC. there is/was someone on these forums who made well over 1000 liters (264 US gallons) of Kombucha, every month.

Back