Looking for Small Batch Fermentation Suggestions and Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
My plan. I want to brew high gravity imperial stouts, 10% to 14% abv, extract only, 3-gallon batch size. I plan to split the batches into 1 gallon glass jars for aging, mostly with bourbon-soaked oak cubes. That’s as far as I’ve gotten. I’m hung up on the in-between primary stage.

I want to be able to control the temp digitally (hands-off) in primary. I’m trying to figure out a cheap, efficient way to do that with minimal equipment. I don’t want to buy a chest freezer or refrigerator if I don’t have to. My garage has too much junk in it now and we have a chest freezer for food out there. I don’t really want two of them running.

Next: I’d like to be able to do closed transfers from primary into the glass jars. I understand the risk of putting pressure in glass, but since it would be the receiving vessel I’m thinking (hoping) it might not be an issue. If closed transfers aren’t possible then I’d like to hear suggestions for other ways to transfer with minimal oxygen exposure, since the beer will be in the glass jars for several months.

For primary, I’ve been looking at the 3.5 gallon SS Brewtech bucket, the 4 gallon Anvil, and I noticed Delta Brewing has two 4 gallon conicals for a half-way decent price. As far as I know, they’re all safe for closed transfers. Or I might just go with a 5 gallon corny keg. Since I’m only doing 3 gallon batches I wasn’t sure if a 5 gallon corny keg would be too much head space?

Anyway – that’s the plan. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

This part doesn’t have anything to do with the above plan. I just thought it might be helpful info to know where I’m coming from.

I brewed my first beer in 2013; typical extract kit with a homebrew plastic bucket starter kit. I was retired at the time, (still am in fact), so I had nothing but time on my hands. I became obsessed, (literally), with the hobby. For the next 5 years I devoted (easily) 75% of my time to home brewing. By 2018 I had a three-vessel keggle system, I was buying base grains in 50lb sacks, had a two-tap keezer I built, and was doing all closed transfers with the cartridge filter setup. Temp control was precise for both lagers and ales.

In June or July of 2018 I brewed my last 6 gallon batch. I didn’t know it was my last at the time. I had two partial 5-gallon corny kegs in the keezer, one full 5-gallon corny keg on deck, plus the 6 gallons that was going into the primary. My wife doesn’t drink, and we don’t have a lot of people over. So aside from an occasional glass here or there, I was pretty much the only one drinking all the beer I made. Since I only owned four corny kegs, and they were being used, I decided to take some time off brewing. A week turned into a month, then another month. I kept putting it off because of the thought of all the time and work involved in brewing a batch.

In 2019 I realized that it had been over 8 months since I brewed. But more than that, I had absolutely no desire to brew in the foreseeable future. I sold off everything in an “All-or-nothing” bundle deal for a fraction of what I paid. That was 5 years ago.

That experience is front and center now as I consider getting back into it. I’m not interested in going down that road again. I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars on equipment and have it stacked, ceiling to floor, in my garage, (been there, done that). I don’t want my “brew day” to start Friday night and end Sunday morning.

All I’m trying to do is make small 1 gallon batches of imperial stout. 1-gallon glass jars are cheap, (which is why I chose them). I’m not concerned with how many I have aging at any one time. The more I have, the longer they’ll age.

I didn’t like bottling, although in retrospect it was a lot easier and less hassle than kegging. I have no problem bottling a gallon at a time.

I bought one of these back when I did small batches. NB used to sell 3 gal choc milk stout kits that were the bomb. I've still got the brewing instructions with the ingredient list if you are interested. I don't think they are available any more except as 5 gallon kits. Best stout I've ever brewed.

https://barproducts.com/products/fermenter-with-lid-spigot-3-gallon?_pos=1&_sid=e4fd24ec6&_ss=r
Sounds good. I'm in the process of trying to re-learn Beersmith and convert my profile over to extract. I bought a Brewers Best kit a couple weeks ago, (it's in the primary now). I'm going to steer away from the kits and just buy the ingredients as needed. I've heard of that chocolate milk stout. I'd like to try it.

Depending on your local market, you may be able to find a corny keg cheaper than the other options (assuming you don't have a spare already). I use a five gallon keg as my primary fermentation vessel these days to brew batches for my three gallon serving kegs. No problem with the headspace. You'll blow out the oxygen fairly quickly.

Bigger problem IMO is getting a closed transfer into glass jars. There's isn't equipment made for pressure transfers to the usual wine jug type 1 gallon/4l jugs. You'll need to step down the incoming beer line into a line small enough to fit in a #6 stopper with two holes drilled. Maybe you plan to use a different type of glass vessel though. When I rack into those 4l wine jugs I don't do a closed transfer. If air exposure is an issue, I'll add a small amount of priming sugar solution to the jug and then rack into it. The yeast will use the sugar to uptake oxygen and pump out the rest with CO2.

Last edited:
A closed transfer doesn't have to be a pressure transfer. If your FV has a spigot and your receiving vessel has two grommets in its lid, you can do a gravity-driven closed transfer. You can also purge any vessel that seals airtight by flowing CO2 through it without pressure. The problem you're going to have with one gallon glass jars jugs (wide mouth jars should be fine) is finding enough real estate for two grommets on the cap. Maybe a Little Big Mouth Bubbler would do the trick?

Last edited:
Bigger problem IMO is getting a closed transfer into glass jars. There's isn't equipment made for pressure transfers to the usual wine jug type 1 gallon/4l jugs. You'll need to step down the incoming beer line into a line small enough to fit in a #6 stopper with two holes drilled.
The jars I was looking at are made for making pickles. They have a wide opening with a screw-on lid. I thought about filling them up with little to no headspace and adding a pinch of priming sugar. They'll have an airlick.

Sounds good. I'm in the process of trying to re-learn Beersmith and convert my profile over to extract. I bought a Brewers Best kit a couple weeks ago, (it's in the primary now). I'm going to steer away from the kits and just buy the ingredients as needed. I've heard of that chocolate milk stout. I'd like to try it.
NB 3 Gal Chocolate Milk Stout - All Grain

4.5 lb Rahr Pale Ale Malt
0.5 lb Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Carafa III
0.15 lb English Extra Dark Crystal

Mash 152 F for 75 mins
Mashout 168 F for 10 mins

0.5 oz Cluster @ 60 mins
0.5 oz Cluster @ 20 mins
0.6 lb (9.6 oz) Lactose @ 20 mins

3 oz Cacao Nibs when fermentation subsides or in Secondary
Leave for 1 - 2 weeks

Recommended Yeasts:
Safale S-04
Wyeast 1332
WLP-051

I used Nottingham cause it's the All-knowing Yeast God of Space, Time and Dimension.

Fermented @ 70ish F for 1 week primary, and then, with a blatant disregard for the evils of O2 exposure, 2 weeks Secondary + nibs.

Damn good stout. Great balance of sweet, dry, chocolatey, roasty.

I used Nottingham cause it's the All-knowing Yeast God of Space, Time and Dimension.

Damn good stout. Great balance of sweet, dry, chocolatey, roasty.
I used 2 packets of Nottingham in this 5 gal stout I have in primary now. It took it a minute to wake up but it was ferocious for 2 days - blowing foam down my 6' - 1/2" blow-off hose into my sanitizer. I checked gravity after a week and it was 1.027. I was hoping for 1.020 or less. Today is 2 weeks. I'm just going to let it sit another 2 weeks.

That chocolate stout sounds. great and easy to convert to extract. Might be my next brew

I used 2 packets of Nottingham in this 5 gal stout I have in primary now. It took it a minute to wake up but it was ferocious for 2 days - blowing foam down my 6' - 1/2" blow-off hose into my sanitizer. I checked gravity after a week and it was 1.027. I was hoping for 1.020 or less. Today is 2 weeks. I'm just going to let it sit another 2 weeks.

That chocolate stout sounds. great and easy to convert to extract. Might be my next brew
I have no idea how this stout might be affected via conversion to extract. I have played with quantities of darker malts and with hop varieties and I have changed but never improved it. The balance is the thing.

I have never found it necessary to double up on Notty. If I'm doing something way HG, I may rehydrate and feed to rev her up a bit but one pack does the job quickly, strongly, it's neutral on flavors and it flocs like putty. Kegged beer, sludge rarely makes it into the pour and you can pour bottles to nearly empty. If I were a yeast I would marry it.

I just brewed a variation on Old Speckled Hen. Different hops for bittering. Different wheat malt cause my LHBS did not have Red Wheat. Estimate was OG of 1.067 and 1.016 FG. It started rocking the airlock within 12 hours, went from 1.071 to 1.012 in 4 days and after 10 days it's down to 1.006. I never calibrate my Tilt anymore, but the range and finish are all I'm worried about. The airlock I use has a float cap and a lid. The cap hammering the lid sounded like a woodpecker for 2 days straight. I am a fan. If it's not Belgian or a wheat ale, chances are I'm using it.

Depending on your local market, you may be able to find a corny keg cheaper than the other options (assuming you don't have a spare already). I use a five gallon keg as my primary fermentation vessel these days to brew batches for my three gallon serving kegs. No problem with the headspace. You'll blow out the oxygen fairly quickly.

Bigger problem IMO is getting a closed transfer into glass jars. There's isn't equipment made for pressure transfers to the usual wine jug type 1 gallon/4l jugs. You'll need to step down the incoming beer line into a line small enough to fit in a #6 stopper with two holes drilled. Maybe you plan to use a different type of glass vessel though. When I rack into those 4l wine jugs I don't do a closed transfer. If air exposure is an issue, I'll add a small amount of priming sugar solution to the jug and then rack into it. The yeast will use the sugar to uptake oxygen and pump out the rest with CO2.
It's no real trouble to get solid silicon bungs and drill the holes for closed transfers. I have done this for 1G juice jars, 1/2G Growlers, and 5/6G carboys.

In looking for a small batch fermenter this week for my neighbor that wants to dabble with homebrew, kambucha, etc. but doesn't want to invest the space needed for a brewery. Says he's happy with just starting out with 1-2 gallon batches. In trying ot help him find something I stumbled upon a mini Unitank!! I've not heard of it, has anyone used it?

https://www.craftmastergrowlers.com/product/unitank-5l/

It looks cool!

unitank-5l.jpg

small batch fermenter
I find that 2 gal food grade pails work for well for 12-pack batches. Probably $15 for pail / lid / spigot (or siphon)

The "Little BMB" form factor (wide mouth, 1.5 gal capacity) is nice for "true" 1 gal (at end of boil) batches. Generally $20-25 (but occasionally on sale for less)

Last edited:
In looking for a small batch fermenter this week for my neighbor that wants to dabble with homebrew, kambucha, etc. but doesn't want to invest the space needed for a brewery. Says he's happy with just starting out with 1-2 gallon batches. In trying ot help him find something I stumbled upon a mini Unitank!! I've not heard of it, has anyone used it?

https://www.craftmastergrowlers.com/product/unitank-5l/

It looks cool!

View attachment 844591
for the price, I doubt many have used it.

Yes it does seem pretty $$, very cool though lol. I would assume though that one could throw a spunding valve on it and bypass the need for temperature control? Now that I'm thinking about it, you could do that with any pressure capable vesel..... but it woudln't have a conical bottom ;) .. ooooh choices choices haha

Back