Weird house / real estate listings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a family to move in.

AdobeStock_182505240.jpeg

We had the biggest CRT Sony ever sold at retail - 40 inches of glorious glass - that weighed just over 300 pounds. Around 15 years ago I really wanted it gone but had just had back surgery and was in no shape to deal with it. I put a "40 inch TV For Free" ad in the local rag and eventually someone actually bit on it and brought a couple of buddies to take it away, thank goodness.

I recently discovered we still have a 32" NEC CRT in an enclosed cabinet in the basement. Totally forgot about it. It's another heavy bastid that will be an even bigger challenge to get rid of because nobody wants a CRT now :confused:

We had the biggest CRT Sony ever sold at retail - 40 inches of glorious glass - that weighed just over 300 pounds. Around 15 years ago I really wanted it gone but had just had back surgery and was in no shape to deal with it. I put a "40 inch TV For Free" ad in the local rag and eventually someone actually bit on it and brought a couple of buddies to take it away, thank goodness.

I recently discovered we still have a 32" NEC CRT in an enclosed cabinet in the basement. Totally forgot about it. It's another heavy bastid that will be an even bigger challenge to get rid of because nobody wants a CRT now :confused:
Plus, you have to pay now. I'd suggest doing it while BestBuy will still take up to three items a day.

I say that while knowing there's a 36" CRT sitting in my spare bedroom. It's not 300 pounds, but it'll be a bear to get downstairs (without breaking).

It’s an accomplishment that they have a lawn that is green at the water’s edge. See the neighbors, but at least some ornamental grass and some flowers would be nice. As far as building a dock I’m sure there would be many hoops to jump through. The state’s DEC regulates all that.

Also what's with the huge empty lawn and no attempt at waterside landscaping or at least a dock?

Big, open lawns are kind of an American thing. I don't get it, either. Our neighborhood was built in the '90s and there are still several yards around here with nothing more than the minimum required two boulevard trees.

For me, no such thing as too many trees or shrubs.

nobody wants a CRT now :confused:
Put it up on a TV cart.. tag "NES" and someone will come get it. Too large for most arcade folks, 16:9 where most retro games are based on 4:3 for the purists.

Pic #31 has a sort of sanitarium hallway vibe going.
Is that a pool?? Alligator breeding? The upper level looks nice.. the lower level looks like a horror film is about to drop.

This house has some serious Kubrick vibes!

Aside from a ton of cash for the down payment, to have this house I would need a housekeeping staff a step ladder for all those high cabinets, cash to acquire more rods and reels for the tackle room as well as a bigger budget for wine making. One thing that puzzles me is why in the heck did they not install a vent and fan over the kitchen range. Maybe it’s one that pops up out of the counter, if so I would have shown that in the pictures. Over 10 million certainly they didn’t overlook that!

"Sure, let's build in a flood plain!" :oops:
Plus they slammed that house right up against an apartment/condo building.
In Alaska.
With tons of open space...

I love the statistics
Cooling YES.....i guess smashed windows count as cooling?

also...what the heck is with the prices...that doesn't even seem in a good area or such.

How did those photos get on zillow? Did a human have to add them? A human involved in selling it?

Yes. It had actually been listed 2 days before it "burned" with the before photos. My discussion with the next door neighbor suggests that it was part of a domestic issue (wife had separated and was terrified of husband) and the husband had stopped paying on the house. So I suspect that it was listed for sale as pre-foreclosure. And once it was listed the husband (who according to neighbor didn't want to leave) torched it.

But once it was torched, the bank/etc basically said "we're selling this as-is and someone who wants it as a teardown/new build must take responsibility" and that's why they flat out listed it with the real pictures and the explicit disclaimers that it's being sold as-is and is completely uninhabitable and is a total teardown.

I can't find the husband's name but based on the discussion with the neighbor apparently he might have killed himself after all this while under investigation for arson. But I didn't want to include TOO much of my discussion with the neighbor because it was the first time I'd met him and he was a very kind but VERY elderly gentleman. So I don't know how much to believe. His take on it included a number of other details that suggest arson though... As I said, a sordid tale...

damn...those prices...no wonder your wages are so much higher than in finland, between insurances and housing, you'll be lucky to have money left

damn...those prices...no wonder your wages are so much higher than in finland, between insurances and housing, you'll be lucky to have money left
Cali real estate is crazy. We briefly looked around in LA, and $1M USD could only buy absolute wrecks in extremely sketchy neighborhoods.

That 8,000 square foot (~800m2) place in texas was under $1M, which blows my mind. Probably in a flood plain or something.

It's a big and varied country. California takes the cake for craziest suburban house prices.

Latest posts

Back