Weird noise coming from my kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so I am sitting here having a cup of coffee and chilling and notice a weird chirping or whining noise. I have heard it before but never gave it a second thought. So, I go looking for it. It only happens for a half a second and not with any consistency, so I am chasing something that isn't going to be easy to find, so I think. I realize that it is coming from my kegerator. I look and it happens right as I open the door. It is the gas line into the keg or the keg itself. I think, crap, I have a leak. I have had the keg for a few years now and have not changed any of the Orings, so I am thinking that must be it. I get a bottle of Starsan and spray the posts, the lid and the prv. No bubbles. Weird. The tank has been hooked up for at least two weeks and the gauge still shows above half full, where it was when I hooked it up minus maybe a little. So, is it just the beer absorbing some of the CO2? Anybody have any input on this one? If it was a leak, even a small one, I would see a drop in the amount in the tank so I am kinda at a loss here. Any input is appreciated. And, for absolute transparency, this is going to be posted on another forum to try and get as many ideas as possible. Thanks in advance.

Any chance it's dust built-up on a condenser fan, or frost on an internal recirculation fan?
I haven't looked at it. Good info, I will see if I can get it pulled away from the wall and take a look. It is so infrequent and just seems to be coming from the gas line, keg itself or maybe the tank pushing some CO2 into the beer? Weird as it seems to happen so randomly. The motor is so quiet I cannot hear when it is on, so I cannot tell if it is happening when the unit turns on or not.

Possibly a check-valve operating periodically due to a small leak or continued absorption of gas into the beer?.
You won't see a pressure drop for quite a while if you are looking at the tank pressure gauge. You'd notice it on a scale first.

Not a Series X by any chance, is it? Mine sighs with relief when it reaches set temperature then hisses, squeaks, farts and pops occasionally for no apparent reason. Makes me jump sometimes. It’s haunted by the build quality, I reckon.

Edit: This is what it reminds of, from a TV programme I used to watch with my kids when they were preschool.

Last edited:
Back in the eighties I got a mechanics stethoscope which is really useful for pinpointing noise sources on machines. I don't expect you have one, but if you have any device, even a computer's 1/8" phone-jack that can plug in a microphone and listen through headphones to, it works just as well.... I've used my laptop that way, listening through a recording app, to track down which pulley in my Jeep was squeeking, any many times using my field recorder to track down noises on film sets.

Not a Series X by any chance, is it? Mine sighs with relief when it reaches set temperature then hisses, squeaks, farts and pops occasionally for no apparent reason. Makes me jump sometimes. It’s haunted by the build quality, I reckon.

Edit: This is what it reminds of, from a TV programme I used to watch with my kids when they were preschool.

It is actually a converted Magic Chef mini fridge. I have had it for 3 years and don't remember if it has been doing it for that long, but I have noticed it at least for the last six months.

LOL good vid too. LOL

Back in the eighties I got a mechanics stethoscope which is really useful for pinpointing noise sources on machines. I don't expect you have one, but if you have any device, even a computer's 1/8" phone-jack that can plug in a microphone and listen through headphones to, it works just as well.... I've used my laptop that way, listening through a recording app, to track down which pulley in my Jeep was squeeking, any many times using my field recorder to track down noises on film sets.
Funny you should mention that. My dad has a stethescope with a longer probe on it. We used to listen to rocker arms to see which ones were clacking when we adjusted valves on his old hot rods. I will have to look and see if it is still around next time I go to my mom's house.

Funny you should mention that. My dad has a stethescope with a longer probe on it. We used to listen to rocker arms to see which ones were clacking when we adjusted valves on his old hot rods. I will have to look and see if it is still around next time I go to my mom's house.
I've done the same. You can also use a long (24" +) screwdriver the same way if you lack a stethoscope. Place the tip on the area you're listening to and hold the handle against your ear. Works similar to the two cans and a string technique.
I never owned a stethoscope when I was a mechanic, always used the long screwdriver (30"). A long extension will work too.
It's surprisingly effective.

I've done the same. You can also use a long (24" +) screwdriver the same way if you lack a stethoscope. Place the tip on the area you're listening to and hold the handle against your ear. Works similar to the two cans and a string technique.
I never owned a stethoscope when I was a mechanic, always used the long screwdriver (30"). A long extension will work too.
It's surprisingly effective.
Before he bought the stethescope he used a long piece of wood. The things we can improvise with. lol

Before he bought the stethescope he used a long piece of wood. The things we can improvise with. lol
:)
We did a similar thing when looking for wind noises and vacuum leak hisses in new cars but we used a piece of 3/8" fuel hose to find the area and focus in on the source. As someone previously mentioned, high frequency noises tend to bounce a lot making them hard to pinpoint. One person drove and the other moved the hose around to pickup the noise.
Obviously you don't ever put the hose into your ear if you value your hearing.

You have no idea how much I laughed watching that video! Thanks for sharing that.

Update to the post. I unhooked the gas line to my keg this morning and did my morning internet surfing. I did not hear the noise at all. I am going to leave it unhooked tonight and see if the pressure is still in the keg in the morning when I get home. I am going to check the hose on the tank for leaks as well as the regulator. I will try and update in the morning. Thanks to all who replied, but it seems it is either the keg or the tank.

Well, sitting here having a bowl of cereal with the CO2 tank sitting next to me, and low and behold the Kegerator is making that noise again. Here is another thought. The unit is sitting in the kitchen somewhat near the window to the back yard. I wonder if maybe it is the morning sun causing something to either expand or purge? It is certainly a long shot, and this weekend I will try and clean it off and move it away from the wall to see what I got. But just thought I would add this as an update.

Well, sitting here having a bowl of cereal with the CO2 tank sitting next to me, and low and behold the Kegerator is making that noise again. Here is another thought. The unit is sitting in the kitchen somewhat near the window to the back yard. I wonder if maybe it is the morning sun causing something to either expand or purge? It is certainly a long shot, and this weekend I will try and clean it off and move it away from the wall to see what I got. But just thought I would add this as an update.
Here's another thought I frequently run into... Is the unit lightly making contact with any other object? For example: When I recently had to sub out my leaking coffee making for my giant old office Bunn machine, the heat-cycle caused the tea-tins that were lightly touching in the cupboard above to resonate (annoyingly to me) and I had to keep moving them apart after every time my GF had tea and pushed them back together.

I don't have any help to offer but I have noticed our new fridge made some concerning noises when we first got it. My old fridge doesn't make those sounds so I figure it's how the new ones are. New technology? Not sure but certainly different sounds.

If your unit cools ok then maybe turn the music up a little more.

Humor is all I can offer, sorry.

The coffin freezer I use for kegs makes noises from time to time. It is just the refrigerant in coils transiting from liquid to gas phases. Probably just complining a little that I'm running it at 32F instead of deisgned 0F.

Is your kegerator refridgerator or freezer based? Either way, some refrideration equipment is just kind of noisy.

Back