Using Concentrate as Primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdeddude

Reaction score
I've been reading that you can use apple juice concentrate as a primer, which will help add some sweet flavor back into the cider as well. Has anyone had experience with that? How much concentrate should be added to five gallons? I'm asking because I already racked the cider to secondary and want a bit more of a sweet taste to it.

Thanks!

I use one can per 5 gallons. If you are running 6 then you'll want to do the more traditional primer. Also this just adds extra apple flavor not sweetness. See the stickies post on pasturation for sweet bubbly cider

Priming for carbonation doesn't add sweetness, unless you go beyond what the yeast will convert and then either pasteurize or refrigerate to stop further fermentation.

You absolutely can use ajc for priming. Post a pic of the nutritional info on your can and can size ( sugar content is the info we need ) as well as your batch size and we can help. Usually though about 1 can for five gallons is about 2.5 ish volumes. Make sure it's thoroughly thawed and shaken/stirred prior to putting it in your bottling bucket

Thanks. Have a good month until bottling. Cider was very dry when I racked to secondary so I'm just trying not to figure out a plan to get some of the sweetness back.

Fizzy dry cider, no problem. Sweet still cider, no problem. Sweet fizzy cider, time to start doing research. It isn't technically difficult to make a sweet fizzy cider, you need to be really hands on until the cider has been pasteurized.

If you can refrigerate what you bottle, you can use FAJC as both priming and sweetening sugar. Toss 'em in the fridge when they're fizzy and enjoy. I bottle one gallon at a time and there's always room for a 12 pack in my fridge.

Back