(Under)sizing a Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
So it is finally time to get serious about getting myself a chest freezer and building a collar to make a Keezer.

The dilemma is: what size freezer to get? I know I want to be able to hold a minimum of 6 kegs (at the moment a mix of ball and pin lock), with up to 4 on tap and room for another two to be queued up or be lagering.

I was discussing this with a friend, and he told me whatever size I think I want, get a bigger one because he's sure I'll eventually want the larger space.

However, at any given time, especially at the beginning, I may only have 2-3 kegs in there at a time. Note that I will definitely have the controller probe in (or strapped to) a non-tiny water vessel like a growler to minimize wild temperature fluctuations. I also expect to get a controller with a compressor protector. The collar will also definitely be insulated.

So for those of you who operate these things, what would the expected effect of having a freezer operating at around 40F that is sized for 6, or 8, or more kegs with only 2-3 in place? Would it over-stress the compressor due to lack of thermal mass? Or do they run ok like that? Note that I don't want to stick kegs or whatever just full of water to provide the thermal mass, cuz I don't want to have to pull full kegs outta there when swapping out.

Just trying to make sure I don't buy myself a problem I don't need!
Thanks

You should be fine. As long as you buy a nice newer freezer I wouldn't worry about it.

I have bought, helped buy, and owned myself 7 keezers over the years. My recommendation if you want to fit 6 kegs is to look for a ~15 cu ft freezer. These are usually the 48" long ones. If you want bigger, then you are looking for a 60"+ one, or 22 cu. ft.+. These will fit 10-15 kegs depending on how creative you get and the layout of the freezer. If you go with a bigger one, I would steer away from the cheaper used ones out there. Most of them are older and will not hold up in the long run. I run a 48" one now and I can fit 6 kegs in there.

As long as you secure the temp probe to something that has a little thermal mass, you should be fine. I tape mine to a 16oz plastic bottle full of water. Even just one full 5gal keg has a lot of thermal mass. The thing that kills compressors is rapid cycling, and in that respect constantly opening the lid on a full freezer with the probe dangling is worse than running the freezer empty but having it secured to something that limits immediate fluctuations.

As long as you secure the temp probe to something that has a little thermal mass, you should be fine. I tape mine to a 16oz plastic bottle full of water. Even just one full 5gal keg has a lot of thermal mass. The thing that kills compressors is rapid cycling, and in that respect constantly opening the lid on a full freezer with the probe dangling is worse than running the freezer empty but having it secured to something that limits immediate fluctuations.

OK thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably go w/the larger size one in that case.

Back