3.5 CU Freezer Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkwood

Reaction score
I'd like to share my recently completed Fermentation Chamber as I've gained a ton of useful information off this forum and haven't been able to contribute much.

The freezer: Midea MRC04M3AWW Chest Freezer, 3.5 Cubic Feet Mini Freezer With Removable Basket, Adjustable Temperature, For Kitchen Garage Apartment Office, White

https://a.co/d/cEBDsG1

The link is for Amazon, but I bought mine from Costco (Canada) for $160 CAD including delivery as it was on sale.

Dimensions: It's 14⅜" x 16⅝" inside, I added a shelf the height of the compressor hump so that the floor is level. With the 2" x 8" collar there is around 28" in height. It fits my fermzilla all rounder with about half an inch to spare on the short dimension. I'm using a 20" x 10" seedling mat to heat and a inkbird controller.

I also added a ¼" MFL bulkhead to the collar so that I can vent fermentation gases outside the chamber. I can do open fermentation (if you count an open ball lock as "open" fermentation), I can run a blowoff tube by utilizing an oxebar keg with sanitizer above the dip tube, or I can slap a spunding valve on the oxebar and ferment under pressure. I can even use fermentation to purge kegs if I want. Since the room I have this in is ventilated, I don't have to deal with a freezer or basement full of c02.

20240303_161836.jpg

20240303_161852.jpg

Back