First Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burrows_M

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I finished my keezer yesterday and wanted to post it and see if maybe i missed something important. I do plan on getting some foam and insulating the collar from the inside but it will be hard to do at this step; in the future I'll redo the collar and sandwich foam board.

I have a plan to router a groove on the back of the collar for a fan cord to lay in as I'm not a fan of drilling a hole big enough for a plug.

As far as probe placement, I had it ziptied to a beer can but though maybe putting it under the neoprene keg sleeve and touching the keg would yield better results? Let me know if im wrong on that lol.

Right now the inkbird is set to 38° with a 5° swing. Compressor cycles for about a half hour (I'm going to time it soon) and it's off for approximately 2 hours.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated! First beer pour will be Wednesday!

Attachments

• 20240205_155831.jpg
    20240205_155831.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240205_155847.jpg
    20240205_155847.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240205_155708.jpg
    20240205_155708.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 0
That's a handsome little guy right there! Kudos! :mug:

The two important parts of probe placement are solid coupling to the keg and good isolation from the surrounding air. As my kegs are nekkid I velcro strap an inch thick closed cell foam pad over the probe pinning it to the keg wall. Your neoprene sleeve may do both in one shot :)

Cheers!

Nice build. I am still debating on keezer or kegerator. Seeing these DIY projects really has me wanting to build a keezer.

That moose mount is dope!

Very nice. Better than my recent build (I need to put another layer of paint on the collar still). Only suggestion (very minor) I have is to rearrange the kegs so the 1 on the right (in the middle of the keezer) is in back. When it blows, you'll have a lot of fun trying to pull it out without pulling the other keg first, based on the taps and lines. Just a minor adjustment I had to make a couple weeks ago after I finished mine and the keg right under the taps blew...

Short beer lines...I recommend flow control QD or longer lines.

Probe placement....I use a water bottle. Drill a hole in the cap and drop the probe thru and a dab of silicone to seal it. Fill bottle with anti-freeze coolant & water mix. The temperature of the water bottle will be close to the temp of the beer. You want beer temp, not air temp.

Air temps can swing a lot when you are in and out of the keezer but the liquid temps will be stable so you can dial in your controller for a +/- one degree swing.

Short beer lines...I recommend flow control QD or longer lines.

Probe placement....I use a water bottle. Drill a hole in the cap and drop the probe thru and a dab of silicone to seal it. Fill bottle with anti-freeze coolant & water mix. The temperature of the water bottle will be close to the temp of the beer. You want beer temp, not air temp.

Air temps can swing a lot when you are in and out of the keezer but the liquid temps will be stable so you can dial in your controller for a +/- one degree swing.
Thanks for the reply! I have 5' lines, they're kinda coiled in the bottom. I haven't had any foam issues at 10-12 psi but I'll look into your suggestions.

As for my probe, it's inside my neoprene keg sleeve against the keg. I would pour a pint and check the temp and the inkbird was within .3 degrees. It might change when the liquid level drops though so I'm testing at the moment.

Back