Inkbird/Keezer Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW944

Reaction score
I need some help troubleshooting an issue. I took a hiatus from home brewing a couple years and a couple nights ago just hooked back up my inkbird and keezer for the first time in probably 3+ years. The freezer turns on fine and starts cooling when it is plugged directly into the wall, but when I plug the keezer into the inkbird, the compressor turns off and it stops cooling. Keezer still has power, display works, all the lights work, just won’t run the compressor. When I disconnect the inkbird and plug into the wall it runs fine. I would think if there was a problem with the inkbird the keezer wouldn’t be getting power at all, but I have no explanation for why it would be getting power, but the compressor won’t kick on. The keezer is plugged in correctly to the “cooling” side of the inkbird, and the temp is set to 38° plus or minus 2°. Anyone else experience an issue with this? It used to work fine on this exact same setup.

I was going to suggest it was the CD or "compressor delay" setting holding off on enabling the cooling circuit, which would be verified by the cooling LED blinking, but then it wouldn't be supplying power to the unit at all. The only other thing I can think of is that the relay contacts are pretty badly tarnished and it's only letting incidental current to pass. If you're handy with a soldering iron, I know a few people that have replaced the cube relays inside the Inkbird.

You might try and find what the starting amps are that are required for your Keezer's compressor and compare it to the amps your inkbird is designed to handle.

Perhaps the inkbird just isn't able to flow enough amps through it to allow the Keezer to turn on it's compressor and some safety built in to the keezer is kicking in when it detects to low a draw coming through the inkbird.

Even if the combo worked before, they are older now and maybe wear from age is also playing in to this.

Is the circuit they are on just for the Keezer? If other stuff shares the circuit and particularly if other things are added to the circuit, there might be some new issues with the voltage and amps that can get to the keezer through the inkbird.

I was thinking it was the setting on the Inkbird where you say how far above and the below the set temp you want it to go before it turns on, but it looks like you already thought of that.

Was it a quick change from the wall outlet to the inkbird wherein the freezer control itself might be delaying compressor engagement due to seeing high side pressure or has its own integral compressor delay?

Is there any chance that during your break from using the inkbird you changed the freezers internal thermostat setting and it's already below 38°?
Could you prepare a glass of ice-water and check the temp probe?

If the freezer works when plugged directly into the wall outlet, then there has to be something wrong with the inkbird. I would plug a different refrigerator or freezer into the inkbird and see if it does the same thing.

If the freezer works when plugged directly into the wall outlet, then there has to be something wrong with the inkbird. I would plug a different refrigerator or freezer into the inkbird and see if it does the same thing.

To build on..

If the concern is inability for the inkbird to pass high current (we know it passes voltage cuz the freezer lights up) then a portable heater or hair dryer usually makes for a decent load test.

If the concern is inability for the inkbird to pass high current (we know it passes voltage cuz the freezer lights up) then a portable heater or hair dryer usually makes for a decent load test.
Good point, but can the cooling circuit fail without impacting the heating circuit? I have no idea.

For a test I don't think it matters if you have heaters connected to the cooling circuit or vice versa. You just have to have a way to fool the temp sensor and/or change the temp set point to activate the output of choice.

but when I plug the keezer into the inkbird, the compressor turns off and it stops cooling. Keezer still has power, display works, all the lights work, just won’t run the compressor.
My emphasis.^ That's the weirdest part!
The Inbird simply switches the power supply on or off (by means of a microswitch). When it's in the off cycle, how can the lights in the keezer be on?

With bad contact/connection (high resistance) in the circuit it could allow voltage to pass but the high resistance would act as current limiting.

That said, if there was that much resistance in the circuit, say from bad relay contacts, one might reasonally expect the voltage to collapse when the compressor tries to start and draw high current and see dimming if not outright extinguishing of the freezer lights.

A load test with should easily confirm or refute that theory.

Personally, I'm leaning back to something like the freezer detecting a short cycle when changing from wall plug to inkbird and is some form of integral compressor protection; best theory I have.

Are there various models of Inkbird?

What is the exact model of topic?

Hey all, thanks for the replies! Sorry I’ve been out of pocket a few days with some family health stuff! Yeah so weirdest thing, I was having the issue and it wasn’t working for about two days after I plugged it in. Came down to the keezer on the second day and it was at 68° so I just assumed something was broken. Had to leave town short notice for a couple of days and when I came back and checked it again the keezer was sitting at 40° with the Inkbird attached and working fine. I’ve got no explanation for why it took 2+ days for everything to start working right, but it eventually did. So no answers as to what happened, but it’s been working fine and holding the temp constant for several days now, so I guess I’ll ignore it until it happens again hahaha. Thanks for all the input though!

Hey all, thanks for the replies! Sorry I’ve been out of pocket a few days with some family health stuff! Yeah so weirdest thing, I was having the issue and it wasn’t working for about two days after I plugged it in. Came down to the keezer on the second day and it was at 68° so I just assumed something was broken. Had to leave town short notice for a couple of days and when I came back and checked it again the keezer was sitting at 40° with the Inkbird attached and working fine. I’ve got no explanation for why it took 2+ days for everything to start working right, but it eventually did. So no answers as to what happened, but it’s been working fine and holding the temp constant for several days now, so I guess I’ll ignore it until it happens again hahaha. Thanks for all the input though!
Cool. Well that takes on problem off the list, right?

Back