Trade Homebrew Pictures!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little love from WI...and sweet extras (the non NG) ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402522927.358241.jpg

Yeah, it's <30min from home for me. I occasionally go to Wisconsin for work and in that case it's just a stop off of 94 on my way home. If you think of it sometime and you're making a run, let me know and maybe we can meet up for a beer.

Definitely. Usually it's a little more planned, yesterday was spur of the moment

KABOOOOM! Sheesh BGBC! It was too much to carry into the house so I had to unpack it on the porch...what was left of it!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402600265.328953.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402600278.204085.jpg

Very very generous, thanks so much! All beers I've not tried yet..I'm especially excited to try the homebrew!
Thanks Matt, I really appreciate it!
I'm going to throw a couple in the fridge now so they're ready after #1 son's ballgame tonight! And woot woot my weekend starts now! (Maybe I'll drink one warm before the game!)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hah, hope you enjoy. And hey, I just repacked the box you sent me and reused most of the packing material too.

I haven't done the side by side yet, but interested to see how a local thinks the HB coffee brown compares to coffee bender. Personal expectations are low!

Do you guys do anything special when trading during the summer? I'm hesitant to ship good beer when it's in the 80's and 90's during the day...

I have some of those Nordic re-usable freezer packs that I will tape to bottles that I'm worried about. Other than that I either try to keep shipping within two day radius or trade a lot of saison/funky/sour stuff.

Do you guys do anything special when trading during the summer? I'm hesitant to ship good beer when it's in the 80's and 90's during the day...

Only really work is with corked and caged bottles. I wrap the dickens out of the cage with tape and try to ship standing upright.
I'm with Mark, though...I try to keep those types within a 1 or 2 day ESD, anything else and you run a higher risk of gushers opening in the box.

I haven't shipped beer before...yet...but I have a lot of shipping experience. I used to have to help ship orders for a restaurant equipment company I worked for...even though I was a salesman. And I also worked for FedEx Office for four years. For liquids, we were told that they had to be inside something like a ziploc bag, stuffed with paper towels or something absorbent. The bottle itself should be bubble wrapped. The box should be prepared with a base of packing paper, at least a couple of inches thick, place the prepared bottles and pack snuggly around them and then top with more packing paper and put paper down all the sides. So, ideally, the bottles are completely surrounded by a few inches from any side of the box. The prepared bottles are separated from each other and, if one breaks or gushes, it's absorbed and contained. Sounds like overkill, I know. But in training, we packed eggs and threw the boxes around like footballs...no breakage. We were not allowed to pack alcohol or knowingly accept it, unless it had proper paperwork and special stickers and was going to a licensed distributor...moving along....

You can "This End Up" and "Fragile" sticker stuff all you want, but at some point it's moving along conveyors and can fall over easily. I won't call out any particular company, but some handlers/drivers might see written or sticker instructions as a challenge...and some things you just can't file a claim on. And it wouldn't be worth the hassle anyway! And I assume you folks let hb bottles sit upright for a day or two after you unpack them?

So...does anyone here pack like this?

I haven't shipped beer before...yet...but I have a lot of shipping experience. I used to have to help ship orders for a restaurant equipment company I worked for...even though I was a salesman. And I also worked for FedEx Office for four years. For liquids, we were told that they had to be inside something like a ziploc bag, stuffed with paper towels or something absorbent. The bottle itself should be bubble wrapped. The box should be prepared with a base of packing paper, at least a couple of inches thick, place the prepared bottles and pack snuggly around them and then top with more packing paper and put paper down all the sides. So, ideally, the bottles are completely surrounded by a few inches from any side of the box. The prepared bottles are separated from each other and, if one breaks or gushes, it's absorbed and contained. Sounds like overkill, I know. But in training, we packed eggs and threw the boxes around like footballs...no breakage. We were not allowed to pack alcohol or knowingly accept it, unless it had proper paperwork and special stickers and was going to a licensed distributor...moving along....

You can "This End Up" and "Fragile" sticker stuff all you want, but at some point it's moving along conveyors and can fall over easily. I won't call out any particular company, but some handlers/drivers might see written or sticker instructions as a challenge...and some things you just can't file a claim on. And it wouldn't be worth the hassle anyway! And I assume you folks let hb bottles sit upright for a day or two after you unpack them?

So...does anyone here pack like this?

Pretty much, although, just putting bottles into a bag (zip lock or otherwise) will make absolutely no help if a bottle shatters and there is sharp glass. I have started packing my box like normal, then putting that box into a garbage bag or can liner, then putting that all into another box with light padding. That way if anything breaks in the inner box, that bag surrounding the box will be able to hold everything without have glass cutting through it.

Pretty much, although, just putting bottles into a bag (zip lock or otherwise) will make absolutely no help if a bottle shatters and there is sharp glass. I have started packing my box like normal, then putting that box into a garbage bag or can liner, then putting that all into another box with light padding. That way if anything breaks in the inner box, that bag surrounding the box will be able to hold everything without have glass cutting through it.

&#9650; This. I normally pack the same way. The double box technique seems to work really well.

Let me know how you like that Royal Cache. Had it at a share and it was pure diacetyl, 100% drain pour. I have heard such good stuff about Wicked Weed I am hoping it was just an off bottle.

Maybe I'll dig into that one sooner than later then. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Pretty good couple days here. The Huna is batch 1 of this year, I still have 8x batch 2s that are shipping up in a couple weeks (maybe with some DB Huna and other catador stuff):
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402787109.040779.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402787149.341098.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402787173.212839.jpg

Love getting boxes from my trustee. Missing is 3 bottles of rue d'floyd which went right into the fridge, and is amazing.

1402853967528.jpg

I'm planning another trip to Cincinnati in a couple weeks. Should I pick one up for you? It was quite pricy.

Vacation haul!

Not pictured: 4pk New Glarus Berliner, 4pk Festina Peche, 4pk of TEN FIDY, 4pk Furious, Trader Joe's Vintage 2013, several mixed six packs (from Minneapolis and Hudson, WI) and two Delirium Tremens glasses.

1402881193927.jpg

Vacation haul!

Not pictured: 4pk New Glarus Berliner, 4pk Festina Peche, 4pk of TEN FIDY, 4pk Furious, Trader Joe's Vintage 2013, several mixed six packs (from Minneapolis and Hudson, WI) and two Delirium Tremens glasses.

IMO, that Trader Joe's 2013 was godawful if I remember right. I have a second bottle that I don't know what to do with

Back