Tots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love the tot!

• Yes

• Hell Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
TACOS!!! If anyone ever makes it to San Diego, go to La Cuatro Milpas in Barrio Logan. Its hands down the best, most authentic taco you will get without going to Mexico

Kev, then why didn't we go there for our drunk food????????

Instead we went to a nice place, with no tacos and no barrio in site.............:)

Kev, then why didn't we go there for our drunk food????????

Instead we went to a nice place, with no tacos and no barrio in site.............:)

You didnt tell me you wanted to go eat sketchy Mexican food! The general consensus was... STONE

On another note, my coworkers saw me browsing this thread and they asked what it was about. The overall reaction was... Tots are good sometimes, tacos are good ALLLL the time

(I mean, I cant recall South Park doing a Jennifer Lopez bit about tots...)

1EZComboMeal1___t670.jpg

You didnt tell me you wanted to go eat sketchy Mexican food! The general consensus was... STONE

On another note, my coworkers saw me browsing this thread and they asked what it was about. The overall reaction was... Tots are good sometimes, tacos are good ALLLL the time

(I mean, I cant recall South Park doing a Jennifer Lopez bit about tots...)

You didn't tell me that sketchy Mexican food was a possibility! I thought "ok, the other guys are all going to meet us at Stone.............." And I have to admit that was fun, even meeting a random stranger (not really random, it turns out), who "recognized" me and had dinner with us and the others.

But, see, this thread was about potatoes. And now it's turned into tacos. And I am having such a hankering.................I can't wait to get to Texas in about 20 days. :ban:

Anyway, to not totally threadjack this already threadjacked thread-

SALT AND VINEGAR POTATOES TOTALLY TRUMP TOTS.

These are some tot recipes in my arsenal. I will share them with you fine folks.

Tater tot breakfast burrito. A breakfast burrito with tater tots in it (duh)

Twice baked potato tots. Bake a potato, gut it, mush up some par-fried tater tots, stuff the potato skin, and bake again. Save the potato guts for tomorrows dinner. Top with baked potato toppings.

Cherry smoked BBQ'd bacon wrapped tater tots. Wrap tater tots with bacon and grill indirect at 250° with cherry smoke until done...about 15 minutes. Serve with garlic sour cream for dipping.

Tater cakes. Smash defrosted tater tots into pancake shape. Fry in frying pan.

Tater tot nachos. Tots, cheese, bacon, sour cream, and chives.

NO to Tots!

Down with Tots!

Just say no to Tots!

Now, let's talk about the truest and bestest form of potato ever discovered by mankind- salt & vinegar fried potatoes.

Yes. Just like the potato chip, but served crispy and a bit thicker than chips as a side to steak.

I am addicted to these, and make them as often as I can get away with it.

Tots are simply sad by comparison.

I am all for fried potatoes, latkes, hash browns, fries, etc. etc. But TTs are awesome. Chili Cheese onion tots, yeah. Maybe this needs to be moved to the debate forum, but I must disagree, just this once. Which makes you 99.999% right, statistically. Actually, it makes me feel a little better about myself that even Yooper is wrong once...just once.

tt.jpg

TACOS. YES.

For tots, the only and best way to eat them it the Rocket Tots from The Flying Saucer.

Jalapeño tots, cheddar, goat cheese, bacon, a fried egg on top, I think there was a whole ham in there...

Delicious.

I did love me some Rocket Tots back when I frequented the Saucer. They seemed more of a potato-cake to me? But either way delicious.

Cherry smoked BBQ'd bacon wrapped tater tots. Wrap tater tots with bacon and grill indirect at 250° with cherry smoke until done...about 15 minutes. Serve with garlic sour cream for dipping.

That actually doesn't sound all that appetizing to me... And it's a combination of things I love.

How does the texture of the tot come out? I would really worry the bacon fat would destroy any crispyness of the tot, defeating the purpose of the tot. A tot without a crispy exterior is just shredded potato. Not to mention that it's going to be tough to get the bacon nice and done at only 250 degrees. :confused:

I'm a big fan of pork roll. I even frequent the physical location of the the pork roll store here in Central NJ (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-pork-roll-store-allentown). BUT.... I never thought of combining the might of pork roll with magic of tater tots. Thank you for giving my life meaning this weekend! Pork roll store, here I come! I'm thinking tater tot nachos with crispy pork roll strips on top. Anyone got a better idea? Is there any way to give tots as a Christmas present to spread the joy?

I'm a big fan of pork roll. ... Is there any way to give tots as a Christmas present to spread the joy?

I've got it! This might be my most excellent idea yet!

Instead of chocolates, you make up a TaterTot Whitman's Sampler box.

Different seasonings, cheese toppings, bacon wrapped, dipped, infused... this could be huge.

Or TaterTot sushi! The possibilities are endless.

Love a good Tot! Crispy on the outside and tender and potato-ey on the inside!

I like salt and vinegar chips ok, but I'm wondering why nobody has created the Salt 'N Vinegar Tot. It could be the next big thing!

Can we at least agree on one thing?

**** these tots:

29271_basic_tater_tots2.jpg

These guys are ok:

tater-rounds.jpg

We cannot agree on that, my good Sir. Those flat tots do look pretty intredasting however. I'll allow it. What's the texture like?

We cannot agree on that, my good Sir. Those flat tots do look pretty intredasting however. I'll allow it. What's the texture like?

Crispier than a normal tot... hold up well in my Crunchy Chicken and potato burritos, which is really all I use them for.

Tots are the perfect marriage between crunch and chew, that's what makes them such a magical entity. I'd be interested in having these tot-cakes you speak of, but I can't forsee them being superior.

Can we at least agree on one thing?

These guys are ok:

tater-rounds.jpg

Pretty sure these are called crowns, not tots.

Can I take my fry joke back and replace it with Publix bone in fried chicken? Could kill someone for that with my bare hands. Tots are for kids, after all.

That actually doesn't sound all that appetizing to me... And it's a combination of things I love.

How does the texture of the tot come out? I would really worry the bacon fat would destroy any crispyness of the tot, defeating the purpose of the tot. A tot without a crispy exterior is just shredded potato. Not to mention that it's going to be tough to get the bacon nice and done at only 250 degrees. :confused:

I cook on a kamado grill. A bit of a different game than a gas or kettle style grill. Tots are par fried before packaging so they want to be crispy... Hard not to get them that way. The bacon does effect it a bit, but not that much. I've tried hot and fast, on a cast iron plate, and even a smoker. Finally I cooked them like you would an ABT. I decided on the temp because that's what I do pork ribs at and these are great aps while we're waiting for the main course.

Tots are the perfect marriage between crunch and chew, that's what makes them such a magical entity. I'd be interested in having these tot-cakes you speak of, but I can't forsee them being superior.

There is a place around here that has them... and i can't for the life of me remember where the hell it is. ugh, now i want some GD TOTS.

Although i need a stamp at the sherwood mcmenamins pub... and i'm craving a kris kringle... GD you HBT... THIS PLACE IS A DIET NO MANS LAND!

Wait, burger king... thats one place... they're there in the AM though as hand held hash browns.

There is a place around here that has them... and i can't for the life of me remember where the hell it is. ugh, now i want some GD TOTS.

Although i need a stamp at the sherwood mcmenamins pub... and i'm craving a kris kringle... GD you HBT... THIS PLACE IS A DIET NO MANS LAND!

Go downtown to that barcade place and get their jalapeno tots. SO good

Latest posts

Back