Tater Tots v Onion Rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your Death Row Final Meal Side Dish, You get to pick one

• Total voters

NSMikeD

Reaction score
Post why you think one if better than the other after voting

Regardless if it's a Michelin Star restaurant or the local diner, If one of those is on the menu I go for it. In all my years, I've never seen both being offered (why?) as a side choice. As if my mind hasn't already posed questions to keep me up at night, it went there (I have too much tie on my hand). Went there, What would I chose if offered the choice between onion rings or tater tots? Alternative side dish suggestions welcome and well as posting here about how much of a waste of time this thread is (especially if you dont see the irony in that).

images

images

Onion rings.

With tater tots, the ratio of boring stuff in the middle to good stuff on the outside is WAY too high. I want fried bits.

Onion rings gets the vote for me. Tater tots have a special place in my heart too but only when acting as a side to sloppy joes.

There's a brewery near my house who always has deep fried pepperjack bites served with a side of spicy ranch. Those things are life changing. But I think onion rings still win out if I had to pick.

A number of years ago I was watching a show with Bobby Flay who said anytime they needed to move something fast on the specials, they paired it with onion rings and out the door it went. In other words, onion rings drove the entree election.

Onion rings for me, cut thick and hand battered is the way to go.

Tater tots get the nod if onion rings are the frozen wanna be kind.

I voted for onion rings. I think tater tots are a kind of childhood comfort food, and holds a certain nostalgic appeal. But the adult reality is they are boring, no matter how much crap you cover them with.

Yep @bracconiere if i have to chose between the two frozen pre-packaged, then hands down tater tots for the win. ( Now im thinking i need some Tater Tot putine)

Onion rings for me, cut thick and hand battered is the way to go.

Tater tots get the nod if onion rings are the frozen wanna be kind.

This for me. Onion rings are a WIDE range of quality variance. Good onion rings are heavenly. Bad onion rings are meh.

Whereas tater tots are basically all the same, every time, every day. You know what you're getting.

So for me, the answer is onion rings, but I'm a discerning connoisseur of said rings. Don't bring me trash rings.

There's a BBQ joint near me that deep fries their tots and sprinkles a little BBQ rub on top. They are awesome. I've done the same at home with similar results.

Onion rings are fine, but usually a sauce delivery vehicle for most people. If they were really that good, you wouldn't have to smother them in ranch/ketchup/etc.

*Note, I have eaten and will eat plenty of onion rings in my life!

Tots.. just to be different. 😎
But really my thing with tots is the versatility. You can turn them into anything, not that the same cant be done with onion rings I suppose. A local food truck does a great version of loaded tots. Bangin.

If a potato is of such poor quality it must be hidden under batter instead of proudly french-fried, then I don't want it. :p

I've never seen anyone eating 'rings with sauce, aside from ketchup on occasion.
Do folks use anything interesting/purposeful, or just random sauces?

Cheers!
thick cut fresh battered Onion rings are the perfect match for homemade tartar sauce made with mayo, dill style pickles, finely diced onions, a hint of yellow mustard, and a liberal dash of dried dill weed!

Oh god I hate Sonic. My burger-connoisseur ass nearly died when my daughters went through a Sonic phase.

Apropos to both you and this thread, the menu here for Dec 23 is burgers & tots. For that I'll be grinding a chuck roast for the burgers... I'll make sure to drop a pic in your thread.

What’s specific to the 23rd? Annual Pre-Christmas Eve Burger Bash?! ;)

My wife has an annual tradition that predates me that Christmas Eve is a get-together with her best girlfriends. Over the years that has added boyfriends, husbands, children, dogs, etc. But that'll be at our house on Dec 24. Dec 22-23 she will not only be working normal days at her office, but after work is going to be starting the Christmas cookie marathon. And then we have to clean the house Saturday. So she's gonna be busy, and we're gonna be busy.

So the plan was to have a dinner Dec 23 that requires very little input from her. Which means I'll make burgers, she'll throw a tray of tots in the oven, and we and the kids will all be very happy.

Of course the 24th we have a theme with her crew this year of "BBQ & Flannel/Plaid", which means I'm also smoking an 18.5# brisket for the Dec 24 dinner lol.

Oh god I hate Sonic. My burger-connoisseur ass nearly died when my daughters went through a Sonic phase.

No doubt on the burger front though the Supersonic with Jalapeno's isn't terrible..

Sonic is more about the foot long coney with chili, cheese and onions paired with cheese tots!

I usually go for the regular fries, because tots or onion rings cost extra. If I do want to splurge (not often but it happens) I get the onion rings. Or sometimes sweet potato fries. Tots are just fries in a different formfactor; I'd get them if they cost the same.

Onion rings, preferably beer-battered, not panko breaded (which has always sounded to me like a mini-game on the Price is Right). I like tots, but every place I go that serves them gives way too many. With the exception of Taco Time's Mexifries, which are the best.

Onion rings unless real, made-from-scratch, tater tots are available. Not often found but, done well, are one of the better ways to serve the humble spud.

Edit: One of the few establishments which serves these delicacies is the Edgar Bar in the tiny burg of Edgar, MT, about 30 miles south of Billings. This advisory on the menu gives you an idea of what the place is like. Five stars; would eat at a tiny table next to the kitchen again.
1671201134384.jpeg

Last edited:
Tots for me. Never in the oven - deep fry only. Defrosted then smashed like a smashburger in a frying pan topped with sour cream and chives... mmm, breakfast! Cajun tots with a side of cheeseburger. In a crockpot casserole. Last but not least... the life-changing totchos... need I say more?

Back