Is There a Better Way to Boil SS Sintered Stones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
My current sanitation process for Stainless Steel Sintered Stones (like O2 stones) is to boil them in distilled water, followed by baking in the oven. But I sort of cringe as the stones roll around in the boil, possibly scratching and/or polishing the surface of the stones, (maybe) causing pores to close up over time.

Does anyone have an elegant way to boil them without the porous surface of the stones contacting the boiling vessel? Something like a little SS stand with little prongs sticking up that the connector end of the stone could be impaled on? I don't think I've ever seen such a thing, but I keep thinking it might exist for some culinary technique or other. TIA.

My current sanitation process for Stainless Steel Sintered Stones (like O2 stones) is to boil them in distilled water, followed by baking in the oven. But I sort of cringe as the stones roll around in the boil, possibly scratching and/or polishing the surface of the stones, (maybe) causing pores to close up over time.

Does anyone have an elegant way to boil them without the porous surface of the stones contacting the boiling vessel? Something like a little SS stand with little prongs sticking up that the connector end of the stone could be impaled on? I don't think I've ever seen such a thing, but I keep thinking it might exist for some culinary technique or other. TIA.
My latest thought was something I read on here somewhere to soak in a not too strong solution of lye. I do indeed need to do a cleanse of my O2 stone after a couple years of use and not doing anything but rinsing afterward.

Something like a little SS stand with little prongs sticking up that the connector end of the stone could be impaled on?

I get a mental image of a SS plate, holes drilled in it, and then some small diameter but fairly long SS bolts/screws coming up through it. Perhaps with nuts on one side to hold them in place.

I soak my stone in an iodophor solution before and after, and when it's in the wort I try to be sure O2 is coming out at all times, hopefully keeping any wort from going in. I do like the idea of doing better than that once in a while. Hmm.

I get a mental image of a SS plate, holes drilled in it, and then some small diameter but fairly long SS bolts/screws coming up through it. Perhaps with nuts on one side to hold them in place.

I like this idea. And the bolts could be just long enough to impale the connector end of the stones without reaching all the way to the porous inner surfaces.

Yep, tons of lengths available.

The downside is like a minimum of 50 / package of anything you get, but even a box of something won't be super expensive. You might get it back if you sell off a few kits of 10 bolts + 10 nuts.

Some stores may have SS bolts in stock? Home Depot, Ace, etc. 10 there might = 50 at McMaster Carr, cost-wise.

Yep, tons of lengths available.

The downside is like a minimum of 50 / package of anything you get, but even a box of something won't be super expensive. You might get it back if you sell off a few kits of 10 bolts + 10 nuts.

Some stores may have SS bolts in stock? Home Depot, Ace, etc. 10 there might = 50 at McMaster Carr, cost-wise.

Or, mosey on down to your local hardware store, fleet/farm, or big box home improvement store and buy the one, two, or three you need from the hardware assortment boxes.

Hardware stores usually have single item sales on stainless steel fasteners - I know my local Aubuchon has an aisle filled with partitioned drawers. An SS fender washer with a long #10 pan head screw and nut should solve the problem...

Cheers!

Back